The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Which university have the best business school?

I have applied for Durham University for Business and Management
I have applied for Manchester University for Chinese & Business and Management

I have heard that Durham University Business School isn't that good for undergraduate course (business course).

Have anybody got any suggestion for UK business school?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cass and Aston business school. How can you forget them!!!! Aston has 92% employment rate for business courses and has a solid placement year, very good links.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Do something fun for your first degree. Undergraduate business is a waste of time. It's only going to be a Cbeebies MBA.
Reply 3
Original post by Clip
Do something fun for your first degree. Undergraduate business is a waste of time. It's only going to be a Cbeebies MBA.

Lol what? Business degrees are one of the most employable out there. Do your research. Most business degrees lead you into investment banks, finance, computing etc which have a high salary compared to most normal jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
London, Oxford, Warwick in that order. Don't bother with Durham, Cass is decent too. Cranfield is good though I'm sure they only accept postgrad applications.
Reply 5
Original post by anontsr
Lol what? Business degrees are one of the most employable out there. Do your research. Most business degrees lead you into investment banks, finance, computing etc which have a high salary compared to most normal jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

More like most LSE/oxbridge degree lead you into investment banking

OP: reputation wise, I think in the uk it will probably be the G5, warwick, CASS(although I heard they are only good for postgrad).
(edited 10 years ago)
Aston
Reply 7
Original post by anontsr

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, they really, really don't.

A degree in Medieval History (with absolutely no application in business), from Exeter is going to get you further than most Business degrees of the same classification.
Reply 8
Original post by Setsuna

So everyone that are below top 5 have no chance getting into investment banking? My brother is an investment banker and he studied business management at queen mary. He told me what kind of graduates get employed so please don't teach me who gets employed and who don't. He mentioned Cass/Aston business school a lot along with lse

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by anontsr
So everyone that are below top 5 have no chance getting into investment banking? My brother is an investment banker and he studied business management at queen mary. He told me what kind of graduates get employed so please don't teach me who gets employed and who don't. He mentioned Cass/Aston business school a lot along with lse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends, for most front office role, you will see them fill with oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and warwick grads. Although grads from other unis do get in but it'll be hard for them.

What office does your brother work in may I ask?
Reply 10
Original post by Clip
No, they really, really don't.

A degree in Medieval History (with absolutely no application in business), from Exeter is going to get you further than most Business degrees of the same classification.

Lol funny how history is always mentioned in that useless degree post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clip

The ignorance is strong in this one. Do some research before you make such scoped generalisations.
Reply 12
Original post by Setsuna

OP: reputation wise, I think in the uk it will probably be the G5, warwick, CASS(although I heard they are only good for postgrad).

Can I ask what is the G5?
Original post by charlie.c
I have applied for Durham University for Business and Management
I have applied for Manchester University for Chinese & Business and Management

I have heard that Durham University Business School isn't that good for undergraduate course (business course).

Have anybody got any suggestion for UK business school?

Do you mean just out of those ones you listed?
I ask as Strathclyde uni in Glasgow just won best university for business and enterprise. Give that a look.
Reply 14
Original post by midnightice
The ignorance is strong in this one. Do some research before you make such scoped generalisations.

Then tell me what exactly is a Business undergraduate degree, if it isn't an artificial construct and pared-down MBA? It's neither vocational nor academic and has a bunch of first year modules in half a dozen different disciplines.

A bit of law, a bit of economics, a bit of accounting, and then grotesquely simplified versions of management.

For every one person that gets a banking job with a business degree, there will be ten who got their jobs with something completely different. And ten people with business degrees that came nowhere near.
Reply 15
Original post by charlie.c
Can I ask what is the G5?

oxbridge, ucl, lse and imperial
Reply 16
Original post by Clip
Then tell me what exactly is a Business undergraduate degree, if it isn't an artificial construct and pared-down MBA? It's neither vocational nor academic and has a bunch of first year modules in half a dozen different disciplines.

A bit of law, a bit of economics, a bit of accounting, and then grotesquely simplified versions of management.

For every one person that gets a banking job with a business degree, there will be ten who got their jobs with something completely different. And ten people with business degrees that came nowhere near.

Your last point. Is that so? Where's your proof? You keep making things up without proof It really makes your argument and yourself look very weak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Stephen857
Do you mean just out of those ones you listed?
I ask as Strathclyde uni in Glasgow just won best university for business and enterprise. Give that a look.

I have applied through UCAS and now the deadline have passed. Can I ask should I went for my results and go through adjustment for university course?
Reply 18
Original post by anontsr
Your last point. Is that so? Where's your proof? You keep making things up without proof It really makes your argument and yourself look very weak.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As opposed to "my brother said so"

There's not going to be any proof either way, unless you poll every merchant banker in the country and ask them what they read at university. And that isn't going to happen.

What do you want? An article in the Wall Street Journal?

*EDIT* Actually - why not? http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304072004577323754019227394?google_editors_picks=true&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304072004577323754019227394.html%3Fgoogle_editors_picks%3Dtrue
Reply 19
Original post by Clip
As opposed to "my brother said so"

There's not going to be any proof either way, unless you poll every merchant banker in the country and ask them what they read at university. And that isn't going to happen.

What do you want? An article in the Wall Street Journal?

*EDIT* Actually - why not? http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304072004577323754019227394?google_editors_picks=true&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304072004577323754019227394.html%3Fgoogle_editors_picks%3Dtrue

My point about my brother is valid as someone said above its not impossible to get into banking if you aren't in a top uni, just harder. If you apply common sense you'll find its pretty true.

You got a random article that talks about business majors from the US lool hilarious you deserve a cookie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest