The Student Room Group

University

I've been offered admission to the MSc in Fintech at Henley Business School and the MSc in Business and Finance at Warwick. While the course at Warwick isn't my top preference, should I consider it due to its prestige as a Russell Group university?
Original post by Gg4256
I've been offered admission to the MSc in Fintech at Henley Business School and the MSc in Business and Finance at Warwick. While the course at Warwick isn't my top preference, should I consider it due to its prestige as a Russell Group university?

Hey @Gg4256,
Congratulations on your offers! If you have any questions about studying at Reading with our Henley Business School, please feel free to ask! :smile:
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student
Reply 2
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Gg4256,
Congratulations on your offers! If you have any questions about studying at Reading with our Henley Business School, please feel free to ask! :smile:
Kat :smile:
MA Diplomacy Student

Hey,
Does it matter that University of Reading is not a part of Russell group, when it comes to employability?
Original post by Gg4256
Hey,
Does it matter that University of Reading is not a part of Russell group, when it comes to employability?

Hey @Gg4256

Great question!
That is something that I think a lot of people worry about when choosing a university, so a totally valid concern. Honestly, I don't think it makes much difference at all. It's great to get to go to a prestigious university, and some companies may look favourably on this, however, that doesn't mean that another university is not regarded higher for a certain course than a Russell group for example, in which case, the company may appreciate applicants from that university that has a good reputation for the specific course, or that they've had a relationship with before over a Russell group. That being said, I don't know that most companies are particularly bothered what university you have been to in the overall picture. They will be looking at you as an individual and your qualifications, experiences and traits, rather than where you got them from, if that makes sense, so as long as you have the necessary qualification, I don't know that it makes a life-changing difference where you get it from.

Our Henley Business School actually has a really good relationship with a number of big organisations, and our location being so close to London, makes it really easy to get some amazing work experience in national and international companies. It may be worth chatting to Tamzin who is a current student studying Modern Languages and Business here at Reading. Although she doesn't do the specific courses you have mentioned, and isn't doing a masters currently, it may be beneficial to hear her experiences of the Business school.

With that in mind, I think it's also really important to view universities as a whole , not just the course, as this is where you will be for quite some time and you will need to be happy there. So, think about what factors are most important to you in a university as whole and weigh it up like that, would be my advice!

If you have any specific questions about Reading, please do ask and we will do our best to help.

Good luck!

Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student
Reply 4
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Gg4256

Great question!
That is something that I think a lot of people worry about when choosing a university, so a totally valid concern. Honestly, I don't think it makes much difference at all. It's great to get to go to a prestigious university, and some companies may look favourably on this, however, that doesn't mean that another university is not regarded higher for a certain course than a Russell group for example, in which case, the company may appreciate applicants from that university that has a good reputation for the specific course, or that they've had a relationship with before over a Russell group. That being said, I don't know that most companies are particularly bothered what university you have been to in the overall picture. They will be looking at you as an individual and your qualifications, experiences and traits, rather than where you got them from, if that makes sense, so as long as you have the necessary qualification, I don't know that it makes a life-changing difference where you get it from.

Our Henley Business School actually has a really good relationship with a number of big organisations, and our location being so close to London, makes it really easy to get some amazing work experience in national and international companies. It may be worth chatting to Tamzin who is a current student studying Modern Languages and Business here at Reading. Although she doesn't do the specific courses you have mentioned, and isn't doing a masters currently, it may be beneficial to hear her experiences of the Business school.

With that in mind, I think it's also really important to view universities as a whole , not just the course, as this is where you will be for quite some time and you will need to be happy there. So, think about what factors are most important to you in a university as whole and weigh it up like that, would be my advice!

If you have any specific questions about Reading, please do ask and we will do our best to help.

Good luck!

Skye 🙂
4th Year MSci Speech and Language Therapy Student

Thank you. 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending