The Student Room Group

Tutorials - have they helped you or not?

Hi, I'm writing an assignment on techniques used in tutorials. I've read a lot of the theories and articles about "good" tutorials but I'd like to hear what people think about them (I think we all know the problem that theory doesn't always match practice).

Have you had tutorials that really helped you understand how to improve, or learned a new technique, or techniques, that changed the way you do things? Anything that really stood out - that you'd recommend to others? Also, have you experienced any things in particular that did not help you? Or was it more the tutor who put you off? (I've had tutors who told me to do what worked for them instead of considering that other things might be better for me)

I'm especially interested in tutorials provided by a support department (might be called something like Academic Skills or Learner Development Unit) you have at your uni. Did you find them useful? Did you go back again? Any good/bad experiences in particular?

thanks for your help
Reply 1
Anyone? Anything?

for example - things I wish my tutors in my first degree had told me

essay writing - don't start writing until you're happy with the plan and content
introductions - try writing them after your main body instead of before
research - don't try and read too much, general search first, be sure the information is useful for the essay before spending ages and taking notes
useful resource - need some phrases to help improve your writing style? Try Manchester phrase bank from Manchester university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending