The Student Room Group

Is computer science the right choice?

Hi, I have picked computer science for gcse later this september. I have no prior background in computing, though I feel like it will help me in a career of maths. Is there anything I should do to prepare or anything I should know about the course? (I think I'm doing OCR, but it might change to edexcel).
Reply 1
Original post by peterwoods573
For those with a passion for technology, innovation, and problem-solving, a degree in computer science is a fantastic fit. Particularly, the following kinds of people may be good candidates for a computer science degree: those who take pleasure in dealing with computers. people who are good at maths and analysis

Hi, thanks for your reply, I do have a passion for maths, so I do feel like I can apply those skills within the subject and I am ready to work hard in it.
Reply 2
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Hi, I have picked computer science for gcse later this september. I have no prior background in computing, though I feel like it will help me in a career of maths. Is there anything I should do to prepare or anything I should know about the course? (I think I'm doing OCR, but it might change to edexcel).

Heya!
CS is a good subject and coding is a good skill to have in this century :h: If you want to do some practice before it starts, I would recommend checking out freecodecamp :h: If it helps, you could check out some past papers that you will have to do in future using study mind!

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
I agree with StudyMind - Try and wrap your head around Python before you start.

Also, if you can find a tutorial to explain pseudocode and flow charts, that'll really help.
Reply 4
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
CS is a good subject and coding is a good skill to have in this century :h: If you want to do some practice before it starts, I would recommend checking out freecodecamp :h: If it helps, you could check out some past papers that you will have to do in future using study mind!

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Hello, thanks for your reply! I am planning to do a bit of preparation over the summer so that I'm not completely caught by surprise at what I would learn in september
Reply 5
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I agree with StudyMind - Try and wrap your head around Python before you start.

Also, if you can find a tutorial to explain pseudocode and flow charts, that'll really help.

Hi, thanks for the reply and the recommendations! I will try to have a look at some tutorials or guides before september

Quick Reply

Latest