The Student Room Group

Distance learning HNC with Unicourse

hi all,
Looking at retraining in engineering (electrical/electronic) with a HNC/HND, maybe eventually top up to BEng at a later date if time and funds allow at that point.
I am a mature student (40s) but am no stranger to education especially online/distance, and the format works really well for me due to a busy full time job and other life commitments throughout the week.

I am just looking for some ideas/guidance/reviews from anyone who may have studied an engineering course with Unicourse?
I see Tecol pop up regularly on here as a provider whom many have studied with, however my own (brief) experiences with Tecol in making enquiries saw that they are a bit short in their communications and sometimes have to wait a very long time for message replies and information which turns out to be vague and brief. I appreciate they will be incredibly busy however it is a little bit off-putting for a potential new signup paying out a sizable amount. Also, some have mentioned that their resources are mixed in terms of quality, and that assignment briefs and formative activities are a little vague and open to misinterpretation at times.

Unicourse on the other hand, have been incredibly helpful so far - rapid replies to queries, and I like the way they market the course with continued reminders of the best support and options to look at sample module materials, even if they are a little more expensive than Tecol.

I am just looking for any feedback from anyone who has studied with Unicourse as I am struggling to find recent reviews - just to check that they do indeed live up to their word?
I really want to give the HNC absolutely my best shot and don't want to feel disappointed with the quality of resources, tutor support etc, of the provider that I eventually sign up with... the programme could eventually open up some new options for me and so I want to make sure it's as 'right' as it can be.

Any thoughts and words of wisdom are much appreciated. Have a good day folks!
Reply 1
Original post by phatt schitt
hi all,
Looking at retraining in engineering (electrical/electronic) with a HNC/HND, maybe eventually top up to BEng at a later date if time and funds allow at that point.
I am a mature student (40s) but am no stranger to education especially online/distance, and the format works really well for me due to a busy full time job and other life commitments throughout the week.
I am just looking for some ideas/guidance/reviews from anyone who may have studied an engineering course with Unicourse?
I see Tecol pop up regularly on here as a provider whom many have studied with, however my own (brief) experiences with Tecol in making enquiries saw that they are a bit short in their communications and sometimes have to wait a very long time for message replies and information which turns out to be vague and brief. I appreciate they will be incredibly busy however it is a little bit off-putting for a potential new signup paying out a sizable amount. Also, some have mentioned that their resources are mixed in terms of quality, and that assignment briefs and formative activities are a little vague and open to misinterpretation at times.
Unicourse on the other hand, have been incredibly helpful so far - rapid replies to queries, and I like the way they market the course with continued reminders of the best support and options to look at sample module materials, even if they are a little more expensive than Tecol.
I am just looking for any feedback from anyone who has studied with Unicourse as I am struggling to find recent reviews - just to check that they do indeed live up to their word?
I really want to give the HNC absolutely my best shot and don't want to feel disappointed with the quality of resources, tutor support etc, of the provider that I eventually sign up with... the programme could eventually open up some new options for me and so I want to make sure it's as 'right' as it can be.
Any thoughts and words of wisdom are much appreciated. Have a good day folks!

Hi, I know i'm getting around to this six months later.. but I'm two months into my HNC in electrical and mechanical engineering. I currently work in the power distribution arena.

The resource and tutorship from Unicourse is brillaint. They send across their library for the subject you choose. They also do video tutorials for every aspect of the course. The tutor(s) are always available to help when required. I would recommend them, I've had every assignment marked in good time.

Hope this helps lol
Reply 2
Original post by LJM94
Hi, I know i'm getting around to this six months later.. but I'm two months into my HNC in electrical and mechanical engineering. I currently work in the power distribution arena.
The resource and tutorship from Unicourse is brillaint. They send across their library for the subject you choose. They also do video tutorials for every aspect of the course. The tutor(s) are always available to help when required. I would recommend them, I've had every assignment marked in good time.
Hope this helps lol

Hi , Just started my electrical engineering with Unicourse, i currently teach electrical principles at lvl3. You mention, video tutorials? i have received all my VLE from them, however the only videos are external links in the workbook. am I missing something?.

cheers
Reply 3
Original post by Pablo999
Hi , Just started my electrical engineering with Unicourse, i currently teach electrical principles at lvl3. You mention, video tutorials? i have received all my VLE from them, however the only videos are external links in the workbook. am I missing something?.
cheers

Hi,

On the Moodle website they send you, it's under the HNC modules. For example under the Engineering maths section it has subsections such as assignments, workbooks. Below that are several videos for the relevant assignments. In short, it's all on the Moodle log in.
Reply 4
Original post by LJM94
Hi,
On the Moodle website they send you, it's under the HNC modules. For example under the Engineering maths section it has subsections such as assignments, workbooks. Below that are several videos for the relevant assignments. In short, it's all on the Moodle log in.

Cheers, of course it is ! looked at it at the start and forgot the wealth of stuff that is there.:-)
Reply 5
Original post by Pablo999
Cheers, of course it is ! looked at it at the start and forgot the wealth of stuff that is there.:-)

Hey,

Yeah, the Moodle platform is filled with stuff. Alot of the assignemnt questions can be (almost) directly transferred from the workbooks/video tutorials, with obvious value changes. Take a look at the website Chegg, if you're that way inclinced.

Enjoy your course!

Quick Reply

Latest