The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ronove
Yes, it is. He wants her to be the housewife.

Original post by Peace&Love
he isn't allowing her to have a job? Have you not read it correctly? he wants a housewife who stays at home cooking, cleaning and whatever else?

the children will be 'there' children not just hers so why should he give an allowance to her to pay for herself and the children?

I read it perfectly well. That is still the woman's choice not to have a job if she marries that man. She can find someone else if she doesn't agree. It's not sexist just because he has a preference for a woman who stays at home instead of working; it's no different to me having a preference for a woman who works instead of staying at home and refusing to be with a woman who doesn't want a job.
Reply 61
Original post by theoferdinand
Not really . But lets be real thats not even true . What is true however is that most women are extremely materialistic and are not as good as men at budgeting .

I think this is literally the funniest thing I have ever read on tSr :smile:

Understanding level = 0
Reply 62
Original post by joker12345
To be honest, I see no reason why if you're the one earning all the money you should give your partner the same amount to splash on. If I was earning and my boyfriend found money was right, I'd be happy to help him out. But if I spend £700 on say, an expensive laptop, that doesn't mean I'll give him that amount because I spent it.

It doesn't work quite like that. If you both game (lets ignore the fact you said laptop) the same amount, but he has a better computer by a decent margin, then it would be understandable that you would spend £700 on a new PC and he wouldn't any time soon. However if I 'needed' a new PC to be able to play the same quality games as him, but spending the £700 would mean that he couldn't have anything he wanted for the next three months, I would not do it. It would be selfish.

Large purchases like that are infrequent and pretty easy to predict. You also discuss how much it is needed and the impact on joint finances, ahead of purchasing it. If he then needed something amounting to around £500-1000 in the following year or two, I would be more likely to ignore how much of a luxury it was, given that I got something that would be viewed as a luxury myself in the recent past.

It's hard to explain really. It often comes down to tightness of money in a given month vs how much the person wants an item.
Ladies How much is a reasonable allowance to be giving to a wife ? Bills , clothes for the kids, food ,will be covered for by me . she will not be working but will be looking after my kids and my house . She Will be doing most of the running around and after school activities bar the sports for the boys . How much

Everything in this presents him as superior and her as the inferior:

'my kids and my house': i didn't realise that he gave birth to the children and made them by himself. Surely children are something that is shared between two adults since they both played a role?

'she will not be working' this is statement, doesn't sound like it is up for debate to me? Does this 'man' sound like he would let his wife have a job when she is so busy doing all his chores for him?
Reply 64
Original post by Enoxial
I have to agree with them, not because I'm a male but because I have a good know how of business.

Example: (Real research)

Spoiler

That's more to do with the fact it's often the women's role to do the shopping though surely?

Like how they often put flowers and chocolates together fir men that are in the ****.
Original post by james1211
I read it perfectly well. That is still the woman's choice not to have a job if she marries that man. She can find someone else if she doesn't agree. It's not sexist just because he has a preference for a woman who stays at home instead of working; it's no different to me having a preference for a woman who works instead of staying at home and refusing to be with a woman who doesn't want a job.

fair enough, he prefers women who stay at home not an issue in itself but the other aspects such as an allowance presents her as an inferior like a child. She is insignificant in the relationship as he has full ownership 'my kids, my house'. He is not being respectful towards her or presenting her as in anyway important - just a cleaner/nanny
Reply 66

Why are you (and others) reading things into this that aren't there? No-one said it's a problem to want her to be the housewife. The problem is expecting that and then not granting her financial autonomy.

Edit: To make this clearer, I mean that he is saying 'you will not have a job according to my rules, and you will not be able to use money as you please unless you get a job'. How is that not abundantly clear?

Machop
Why do you mean isn't allowing her? What exactly is he doing to stop her from getting a job? If she doesn't like it she clearly has the option to leave. You are basically reducing her to a passive object who is incapable of making any decisions.
You seem to be missing the point entirely and going off on a different argument. The issue of whether or not she can leave the marriage is not the focus here. Of course she can, but then what are we even talking about?

The point is that it is highly unlikely she agreed to marry him and be the housewife and not get a job with the knowledge that he would then be able to dictate whether or not she could have every last thing she might desire, purely because she's not the one earning the money. No-one wants that out of married life, regardless of whether or not they're happy to be expected to stay home.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 67
fair enough, he prefers women who stay at home not an issue in itself but the other aspects such as an allowance presents her as an inferior like a child. She is insignificant in the relationship as he has full ownership 'my kids, my house'. He is not being respectful towards her or presenting her as in anyway important - just a cleaner/nanny

An allowance is surely just a way of being sensible and budgeting. Since he is the earner in the household he is also presenting himself as the budgeter. Fair enough.

He won't find many, if any, women like that these days but its his right to have a preference and it's hardly as if he's hiring women to do this or anything like that. If they agreed to those terms I don't see an issue.
Reply 68
Original post by Ronove
The point is that it is highly unlikely she agreed to marry him and be the housewife and not get a job with the knowledge that he would then be able to dictate whether or not she could have every last thing she might desire, purely because she's not the one earning the money. No-one wants that out of married life, regardless of whether or not they're happy to be expected to stay home.

You're just completely guessing that.
Reply 69
You're just completely guessing that.

Actually I was basing it on knowledge. However I was not at all taking into account the kind of women who come from rather distant and different cultures who may well be happy with that arrangement. Though in that circumstance, the women (I'm thinking Thai brides here) are receiving something in exchange for their willingness to sacrifice financial autonomy. Usually someone from your own country and culture is not receiving those things in exchange and hence would not put up with it.
Original post by Ronove
It doesn't work quite like that. If you both game (lets ignore the fact you said laptop) the same amount, but he has a better computer by a decent margin, then it would be understandable that you would spend £700 on a new PC and he wouldn't any time soon. However if I 'needed' a new PC to be able to play the same quality games as him, but spending the £700 would mean that he couldn't have anything he wanted for the next three months, I would not do it. It would be selfish.

Large purchases like that are infrequent and pretty easy to predict. You also discuss how much it is needed and the impact on joint finances, ahead of purchasing it. If he then needed something amounting to around £500-1000 in the following year or two, I would be more likely to ignore how much of a luxury it was, given that I got something that would be viewed as a luxury myself in the recent past.

It's hard to explain really. It often comes down to tightness of money in a given month vs how much the person wants an item.

I just mean that generally, if one partner is bringing in all the money at that time they're entitled to spend (or save - whatever really) more than they give to their partner to spend on luxuries. I don't think it would be unfair to do so, though if they wish to work like your partner does then that's fine.
An allowance is surely just a way of being sensible and budgeting. Since he is the earner in the household he is also presenting himself as the budgeter. Fair enough.

He won't find many, if any, women like that these days but its his right to have a preference and it's hardly as if he's hiring women to do this or anything like that. If they agreed to those terms I don't see an issue.

Come on, the idea of an allowance presents her like a child and her as insignificant?

Relationships should be based on love, trust and sharing; not a this is mine attitude.

partners should be equal in a relationship and clearly in the one he is describing he is certainly superior
Original post by theoferdinand
Ladies How much is a reasonable allowance to be giving to a wife ? Bills , clothes for the kids, food ,will be covered for by me . she will not be working but will be looking after my kids and my house . She Will be doing most of the running around and after school activities bar the sports for the boys . How much

Well - seeing as she is looking after "your" kids, and "your" house - that's the same as full-time live-in housekeeper and full time live-in nanny. Which is probably about £70K a year.

Not forgetting the amount she should charge for "other services".

Alternatively, if you don't want to bankrupt yourself:
work out a budget for household expenses, bills, etc.
Subtract from your salary.
Add in any income she has coming in (like, interest from savings, children's allowance etc)
Divide the result in two - you both get the same amount of discretionary spending.

Simples.
Reply 73
Come on, the idea of an allowance presents her like a child and her as insignificant?

Relationships should be based on love, trust and sharing; not a this is mine attitude.

partners should be equal in a relationship and clearly in the one he is describing he is certainly superior

That's just your opinion. It's my opinion too but it doesn't mean the OP is wrong. It's not morally wrong it's just not conventional in the 21st century in Britain. It's certainly not sexist.

People lived this way for hundreds of years in this country, were they all oppressed and unhappy about it? Nope.
Original post by anspailpinfanach
Well - seeing as she is looking after "your" kids, and "your" house - that's the same as full-time live-in housekeeper and full time live-in nanny. Which is probably about £70K a year.

Not forgetting the amount she should charge for "other services".

Alternatively, if you don't want to bankrupt yourself:
work out a budget for household expenses, bills, etc.
Subtract from your salary.
Add in any income she has coming in (like, interest from savings, children's allowance etc)
Divide the result in two - you both get the same amount of discretionary spending.

Simples.

Haha couldn't agree more! :biggrin:
That's just your opinion. It's my opinion too but it doesn't mean the OP is wrong. It's not morally wrong it's just not conventional in the 21st century in Britain. It's certainly not sexist.

People lived this way for hundreds of years in this country, were they all oppressed and unhappy about it? Nope.

How is it not sexist? The idea that in a relationship women are inferior and men are by far superior is definitely sexist?

& maybe they were not unhappy because they didn't know any different but now women thankfully have more opportunity and chances to succeed in education, employment etc
Reply 76
Original post by redferry
That's more to do with the fact it's often the women's role to do the shopping though surely?

Actually no.
I didn't want to go into details but it said that generally when women after work leave for home, they visit the Supermarkets to do the aforementioned.

So infact this research is an exception to the 'Women do all the shopping' rule, better go and come up with another excuse.

Original post by redferry
Like how they often put flowers and chocolates together fir men that are in the ****.

Men don't give flowers and chocolates to themselves you know.
Reply 77
It is clearly her choice too. If she really did not want that life style she would not have got married or had kids with this guy.

When I met my other half, he made it clear to me from the start that I would work up untill we have children. I would then be a stay at home wife.
Yeah he rules the roost, but he never hid the fact that he would.
And this guy probably didnt hide it either, I dont know if all you feminists realise this, but there are still woman out there that actually like tradition and like being looked after by their man. They like to be the married wife, with the perfect house and well behaved children. They are feminin and look to their husbands for the financial support, and to make the decisions this makes them feel looked after, supported, they have no worries. Giving them a pretty easy life.

Thats the sort of life a woman should lead in my personal opinion. She should be the air and grace of her husband, she should be well groomed and look good by his side, its about looking good in society thats what we all want.
I know my other half wants me to look my best when I'm on his arm, he wants other men to be jelous, I as a woman want the cleanest house, I would be embarressed if a guest turned up to our home and it wasnt hoovered or their was dirty dishes on the side, of course its my role to keep up with the house work. I would be embarressed if any of our family or friends showed up and the house wasnt in order, what would they think of me? That I sit around on my butt all day doing nothing, I couldnt deal with that. Further more I wish to have the most beautiful, well behaved children. so putting all these efforts in to keep the house in tip top condition, raise the children and educate them to an acceptable or above average standard and also take care of my own appearance, to ensure myself and my other half are above average in the social ladder, I can't see what is wrong with that life style? & why the 'feminists' are so against it all.

Treat her nicely, Dont worry to much about giving a set allowance. Just let her know you appreciate what she does for you and your family :smile:
If she tells you shee is going for coffee with the girls, then give her a 20. more than enough for a coffee, but then will allow her to grab a sandwich just because the other girls are doing so, etc. Dont deprive her of sociallising when the girls are having lunch give her enough to cover the cost plus extra, she wont want the girls to think she is stretching her finances (again its about the social ladder, the social status) She will want to look as if money is no big issue. then she will prbably go a while without needing money, she will have no plans etc, and then all of a sudden she needs her hair done, again give her what she needs plus extra. If you want the change you ask her privately at home for it. You get the point, unless you both feel a set allowance would be in better interest? Although I feel as a woman having an allowance if I was given it on the monday I would probably splash it by midweek then when the girls want to meet on saturday for coffee I'd be asking for more money :P Just because thats what us woman are like (well most i'd say) So yeah just give her it as and when she would like/need it. Of course not excessively otherwise she will become a demanding bratt, but I think you get what I'm saying :smile:
I would take the word 'allowance' as an insult tbh. I bring in some income but the majority of our joint income is from my husband's income, however we've always had equal access to the money. Allowance to me sounds like a recipe for divorce tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by SkinnyKat
My friend's dad went to work in their normal family car one day and came home in a Porsche.

My own dad doesn't care about shoes or clothes but every now and then he'll make a big purchase like a new laptop or TV. Or a suit (which costs over £300).

My mum buys little and often, an item of clothing here and there. The actual amount spent by both is probably similar, it's just that men tend to do it all at once.

So can we please stop all these "men are better than women" threads? :rolleyes:

No ones saying men are better than women, just that women better know how to eat away at a healthy looking bank account

Latest

Trending

Trending