The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Well, unless Murray beats Djoko tonight there goes YE No. 1 for Fed anyway. Not a bad match from him, but Raonic for the first time ever was serving up a complete storm on the other side of the net so a well deserved victory.
Opportunity for Rog to rest up for the WTFs and the Davis Cup Final - those two events are the main priorities now
Original post by Badshah
Raonic just upset Federer. There goes Fed's chance of finishing the year as number 1. It might be a blessing in disguise as Fed will get some rest before the two upcoming important tournaments.

Btw, screw Guy Forget for ruining this tournament. This in an indoor tournament but it's even slower than clay. Guy Forget should be immediately sacked. Let's hope WTF is faster.

Milos served like Karlovic did in Basel - only difference was that Milos also had a decent ground game. Plus looked like Fed was just waiting for him to choke (which never happened)
Wow great win for Raonic really wasn't expecting that but well deserved. If Djokovic can get past Murray I think he should be able to defend his title and secure YE no.1 at the 02 but it's all still to play for
Original post by Krish4791
Milos served like Karlovic did in Basel - only difference was that Milos also had a decent ground game. Plus looked like Fed was just waiting for him to choke (which never happened)

Fed was way too passive and predictable on return. He was hitting slice cross court bh return most of the time which allowed Milos to hit the inside out forehand. Very disappointing.

Milos on the other hand was great. I never expected him to play this well given his recent form. His ground game/return has improved big time so I hope people will stop calling him a serve bot from now on.
Djoko eases past Murray 7-5, 6-2. It's a shame really - Andy played well until he was up 2-1 in the second set, then basically folded physically and mentally. Djokovic has really gained the upper hand in their rivalry now (15 - 8, almost starting to resemble Fedal). Andy needs to come back strong in 2015 to avoid losing touch with Novak
Nikishori comes back from a set down to beat Ferrer, with Raonic's victory, Ferrer will not be in London.

We have..

Djokovic
Federer
Warwinka
Murray
Berdych
Nikishori
Raonic
Cilic

Should certainly be interesting to see who finishes world number 4.

There's also the award for most improved player.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/Moet-ATP-Awards/2014-ATP-Awards-Most-Improved-Player-Nominees.aspx

I'd probably vote Nikishori, he's been very good this year.
Wow, Raonic follows up his win over Federer with a 3-set victory over Tomas Berdych to reach another Masters 1000 Final. Well done to him, his back was against the wall here this tournament and he has delivered. Now can we please see this attitude in next years' Slams?
Really sad that Ferrer will miss out on London.
So the ATP Finals draw is out and I'm quite glad that the groups appear fairly even.

Group A
Djokovic, Stan, Cilic & Berdych

Group B:
Federer, Murray, Nishikori & Serve Bot

Personally I think that group B is slightly more interesting but I guess the Battle for second for Novak's pets will also be interesting. Gonna go with this as my Semifinal line-up

Novak v Nishikori and Roger vs Stan. With Roger to crown his great year with a surprise win in the final!

What do you guys think?
Original post by hskjlclcn
So the ATP Finals draw is out and I'm quite glad that the groups appear fairly even.

Group A
Djokovic, Stan, Cilic & Berdych

Group B:
Federer, Murray, Nishikori & Serve Bot

Personally I think that group B is slightly more interesting but I guess the Battle for second for Novak's pets will also be interesting. Gonna go with this as my Semifinal line-up

Novak v Nishikori and Roger vs Stan. With Roger to crown his great year with a surprise win in the final!

What do you guys think?

I'm not too sure about Stan and Kei reaching the semis since Stan has been off since Wimbledon and Kei looked burnt out against Novak in Paris. Plus Murray is coming back into some form and of course Raonic will be brimming in confidence after finally getting his Roger sized monkey off his back. Can't disagree with the Djokovic Federer final you've gone for but I fancy Djokovic to nick this one in revenge for Shanghai, he's beaten Roger in their most important match this year and neither player has one back to back over the other this year so I'll go for Novak over Federer in 3 tight sets but of course if anyone can prove me wrong Federer can.
I'll go for the Djok-Fed final (no opinion on who will win, equal chance) however my outside punt would be Nikishori if he turns it on.

I'd be shocked if Cilic wins a single match.
I hope that I don't disturb the tennis matches discussions, but is there someone who can tell me what an s.Ace in tennis is and in which situations it is played? thanks!
Federer-Cilic and Murray-Djokovic in the semi finals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fed djok final. Not sure who'll win though.

Who's broadcasting this on tv?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kallisto
I hope that I don't disturb the tennis matches discussions, but is there someone who can tell me what an s.Ace in tennis is and in which situations it is played? thanks!

An ace is played by the serving player on their serving hit. It's when they serve the ball, it lands in the service box, but the receiving player misses it.

Btw I may be a little incorrect, so anyone else can chip in and add anything else, but that's my understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Interesting groups indeed. I think I'll pick Djokovic (obviously) and Wawrinka to come out of Group A. Novak has his pigeons in Berdych and Cilic (who have hardly beaten him), and his form should be enough to see him through 3-0 after the RR stage. Wawa totally owned Cilic in the H2H this year and is capable of beating Tomas.
Group B is more interesting, as all of them have a decent shot at the semis. Fed is the favourite I would say, but I'm not sure about his form or where his priorities really lie. I can see Murray beating Nishikori and perhaps Raonic, so Fed and Murray through. Nishikori is so good though - capable of beating anyone really as long as he can stay fresh
Original post by Rakas21
I'll go for the Djok-Fed final (no opinion on who will win, equal chance) however my outside punt would be Nikishori if he turns it on.

I'd be shocked if Cilic wins a single match.

Just curious as to why you think that? Do you feel he'll have the same problem as Wawa adjusting to life as a Slam champion?
I think he can beat Berdych. He might get crushed by Wawrinka and perhaps take Djokovic to 3 sets.
Original post by Krish4791
Just curious as to why you think that? Do you feel he'll have the same problem as Wawa adjusting to life as a Slam champion?
I think he can beat Berdych. He might get crushed by Wawrinka and perhaps take Djokovic to 3 sets.

He's rubbish. He was rubbish most of the season before and most of the season since.

Berdych is at least annoyingly consistent and Warwrinka on top form is brilliant.
Original post by Rakas21
He's rubbish. He was rubbish most of the season before and most of the season since.

Berdych is at least annoyingly consistent and Warwrinka on top form is brilliant.

I think that's a little unfair. Cillic on top form can give anyone trouble he's beaten Murray at the US Open not to mention crushing Federer who's been in top form all year and Nishikori who has a winning H2H over him and was on the back of a stunning win over Djokovic. Plus he took Djokovic to five sets in Wimbledon and knocked out Berdych pretty comprehensibly there too. He's obviously not the heir apparent to Federer and Nadal and frankly I don't consider him a young gun at only a year younger than Djokovic and Murray but give credit where it's due, Wawrinka played lights out tennis to win a slam and deserve it and so did Cillic
Tbh Inthink Cilic will beat Berdych, and despite his woeful form Stan will beat them both, that's why I think he will go through. Nishikori played better in Paris and is due a win against murray too.

Quick Reply

Latest