The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizzy95
I'm not surprised Serena found a way to win, almost seems that at the slams the bigger the player the smaller the chance they have of beating her. If it's a Serena Sharapova final I'll expect another beat down but it's a long way to go till there.

The big names are playing well so far with the potential Djokovic Nadal QF getting closer and closer, if both players turn up a flip of the coin will decide it in my opinion

She's like Nadal. You think she'd defeated but she lucks out anyway.
Original post by Skkc16
Anyone think Gael could take out Federer today? He came so close to winning against him at the USOpen last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Already tipped that. But equally he could play completely destructive tennis to himself and lose 3 3 and 1
Hard to say (hoping GOAT Fed turns up). Should Nikishori or Federer go out before the semi final though then this route to the final is an incredible level of easy though.
Great to see Tsonga playing like this. He's actually had a very strong tournament so far.

If Federer plays well, he should win today - Monfils is coming off the back of 2 consecutive 5-set matches and is not in his best form
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Skkc16
Anyone think Gael could take out Federer today? He came so close to winning against him at the USOpen last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stranger things have happened, who would've predicted Federer going out to Seppi in the Australian Open. Monfils loves playing to the crowd and playing Federer so at the bare minimum should be entertaining, I give Federer the edge though considering form and the fact he's spent less energy in the tournament so far
Santoro is such an insipid commentator. I don't know why ITV are hanging on to him.
Nice win Jo.
Has open court to aim at... hits it straight at opponent *sigh*. I'm sick of watching this guy shoot himself in the foot.

Lost count of the number of times he has fluffed easy volleys as well.
1 set apiece and play is suspended...
Federer-Monfils suspended at 1 set apiece. Some really high-quality tennis being played there.
Ugh. Hate it when competitive matches get postponed like this. I need closure.

Everything about this match-up is just rubbing me up the wrong way to be honest. The ultra choke from Cuevas a couple of days back, the rain delays, commentators fawning over Monfils, Federer clowning at the net again and again... I should have just missed this one out and done something else with my day. I must admit that I'm a bit riled now.
Original post by Ashnard
Ugh. Hate it when competitive matches get postponed like this. I need closure.

Everything about this match-up is just rubbing me up the wrong way to be honest. The ultra choke from Cuevas a couple of days back, the rain delays, commentators fawning over Monfils, Federer clowning at the net again and again... I should have just missed this one out and done something else with my day. I must admit that I'm a bit riled now.

Fed didn't play that badly today to be honest. Monfils just delivered when he needed to.
Original post by Krish4791
Fed didn't play that badly today to be honest. Monfils just delivered when he needed to.

His overall performance was good and I do not deny this. However, at crucial points in the match he just brain-farted inexplicably.

What I cannot abide -- and you will know that this is a regular occurrence for Federer if you watch him often -- is when he plays a brilliant forehand out wide and then, with his opponent way out of position, he either fluffs the volley completely or hits the ball straight back at his opponent, or even worse aims for the lines and misses, instead of just aiming safely for the open court. It's like he's too proud to hit an easy winner -- it has to be perfect. Breaks me every time.

For Monfils I have no patience. This guy was struggling against the likes of Cuevas and now all of a sudden he's painting the lines and defending like Nadal? What is even the point of him? We all know that he is incapable of stringing more than two decent performances together. If he loves entertaining so much, why doesn't he just become a permanent exhibition player and have done with it?
Original post by Ashnard
His overall performance was good and I do not deny this. However, at crucial points in the match he just brain-farted inexplicably.

What I cannot abide -- and you will know that this is a regular occurrence for Federer if you watch him often -- is when he plays a brilliant forehand out wide and then, with his opponent way out of position, he either fluffs the volley completely or hits the ball straight back at his opponent, or even worse aims for the lines and misses, instead of just aiming safely for the open court. It's like he's too proud to hit an easy winner -- it has to be perfect. Breaks me every time.

For Monfils I have no patience. This guy was struggling against the likes of Cuevas and now all of a sudden he's painting the lines and defending like Nadal? What is even the point of him? We all know that he is incapable of stringing more than two decent performances together. If he loves entertaining so much, why doesn't he just become a permanent exhibition player and have done with it?

Believe me, it is frustrating to see what you've described, but I've just accepted that this is the way Federer plays (especially nowadays). Monfils is just a conundrum - not sure how/why he's able to get this motivated against Fed
Original post by Krish4791
Believe me, it is frustrating to see what you've described, but I've just accepted that this is the way Federer plays (especially nowadays). Monfils is just a conundrum - not sure how/why he's able to get this motivated against Fed

If he only did it when he was well ahead then I wouldn't mind, but he has actually lost matches and championships because of these silly plays.

I still think it is more likely than not that he will go through tomorrow but even then he will have only a day to recover for Wawrinka so the prospects would not be good. I think Stan will make it to the SFs either way.
It's so frustrating to watch Federer's forehand these days. Not only does he make stupid errors with it but he has absolutely no penetration in that shot.
Reply 3436
Soderling plans to come back next year - bet Rafa's ****ting himself for RG 2016!
Original post by RyJ
Soderling plans to come back next year - bet Rafa's ****ting himself for RG 2016!

Would be great but he's getting on a bit. It'll take 2 seasons probably to be back at the top and then age will start dragging him.

That said, the big 4 are not as strong as 2011.
Reply 3438
Original post by Rakas21
Would be great but he's getting on a bit. It'll take 2 seasons probably to be back at the top and then age will start dragging him.

That said, the big 4 are not as strong as 2011.

True, though the circumstances of his illness is probably giving him the motivation to get back up there. He's not that old to be fair, '84, I believe? Plenty of players around that age still doing really well - he's not that much older than Rafa/Djokovic/Stan. It seems to be quite common right now for players to peak later in their careers - Lopez, for example.

I'd like to see him back, I quite liked him too.
Great win for Safarova and now we'll definitely have an interesting final on our hands with Ana Ivanovic the only person to have been in a slam final before in the bottom half of the draw. Williams has looked vulnerable too so if she's knocked out the title will be anyone's for the taking!

Quick Reply

Latest