The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrno1324
Too bad it didn't help him win yesterday :smile:
Also the guy is completely right. Every time Fed wins it's because he's the supreme master and when he loses it's because he had a bad day, not because his opponent was better. Being popular doesn't justify that.

Not really. At WImbledon he was completely outplayed by Djokovic but that wasn't the case yesterday. He had 24 bps from which he converted only 4 of them. And it's not like Djokovic was hitting an ace on every BP. No, Federer wasted most of them due to errors. Federer was the better player overall but Djokovic was better on the big points which made the difference.
Original post by ringspun
I only saw the first set. And it was clear early on that Djokovic just hits the ball harder.

Djokovic's level dipped in the second and third set and Federer started to play better.
Original post by Ashnard
Djokovic's level dipped in the second and third set and Federer started to play better.

I think crowd cuntery was getting to him. Can't blame him.
Original post by Louis.
I don't feel the need to worship anyone. I just hate how everything in tennis is seen through a Federer lense, so it's not about how Djokovic won but about how Federer lost. People are bleating on about how Federer would have won if he played at his best when in recent years he's consistently been beaten by the best players over 5 sets. There have been some great players over the last few years but they haven't got the recognition they deserve because fans and the media are too busy crying about Federer.

Totally agree. It's the reason I could never truly support Federer (not through a fault of the man himself) but the way people gush about him on and on and on is just nauseating and so un-objective that you'd get the impression no other tennis players are worth watching, ever. I was at the US Open last year, and I witnessed some of the ilk of the rabid, foaming at the mouth Federer fans who made Djokovic's life a misery last night.

Massive respect to Novak for handling such pressure and hostility, and being at the point where he simply doesn't give a **** whether the crowd loves him or not. There was a real tinge of sadness in his words when he was talking about the crowd yesterday, when he said something to the effect of people treating him with the modicum of reverence they do Federer (and he indubitably deserves) one day. For someone who is genuinely extroverted and expressive on court, it must be incredibly difficult to keep all his emotions in check.

There was little between Djokovic and Federer yesterday. Unlike the Wimbledon final you couldn't definitively say one played better than the other - they both played some staggeringly clutch points at times, very loose on others. Of course Federer's BP conversion was very poor, but I don't think it was always in his hands - Djokovic is just unreal when it comes to the big points, and I'd say about 80% of the time Djokovic was saving them with brave tennis.

What a year again for Djoker. 3 out of 4 slams in one year yet again, he's on track to end his career with 15+ at this rate.
Djokovic is always going to struggle to be the champion of the people, and a really endeared member of the tennis hierarchy, while Federer is still around.
Original post by Mackay
Djokovic is always going to struggle to be the champion of the people, and a really endeared member of the tennis hierarchy, while Federer is still around.

People don't like a random Eastern European destroying the champions they're used to. I mean Fed ruled till 2009 and people loved him for it and I guess those feelings still remain. I wish they'd grow up, realise it's time for him to retire and start supporting other players.
Original post by mrno1324
People don't like a random Eastern European destroying the champions they're used to. I mean Fed ruled till 2009 and people loved him for it and I guess those feelings still remain. I wish they'd grow up, realise it's time for him to retire and start supporting other players.

He actually gained more followers after he started going down and then rose again. I've always believed that Djokovic needs more support, but he'll only get it once he starts to decline and people realise in the future how good he was this year (and in 2011-12). We don't know when Federer and Nadal will retire (I guess in another 3-4 years or so) - most likely their rabid fans will either stop watching tennis or support someone else.
Did anyone else see how upset and down Novak looked when speaking to the guy after the match? And lol, following on from a couple of week saga with Nadal vs Federer argument, Federer faced much much easier opposition when winning his grand slams. When it came to the best he has fsaced, he has had his ass whooped again and again. And lets not use age as an excuse, Novak and Nadal have been whooping his backside since 09. Stop kissing his ass non stop some of you.
Instead of repeating old arguments, we'll see how things develop in the next few months/years. The game has undergone a huge transition over the last 15 years or so and it looks like the so-called "younger" generation need to improve their physical conditioning and consistency to compete at the top. The Federer-Nadal era has been over for a while, anything these two achieve only cements their own legacies (even if they do not win another Slam), and this is what people need to understand.
Original post by welcometoib
Did anyone else see how upset and down Novak looked when speaking to the guy after the match? And lol, following on from a couple of week saga with Nadal vs Federer argument, Federer faced much much easier opposition when winning his grand slams. When it came to the best he has fsaced, he has had his ass whooped again and again. And lets not use age as an excuse, Novak and Nadal have been whooping his backside since 09. Stop kissing his ass non stop some of you.

You are a Nadal fan right? When did Novak start whooping Federer's backside in 09? At least get your facts right. Your hero Nadal has been the one getting his backside whooped by Djokovic since 2011. 7-0 against Djokovic in 2011 and 2012. Federer beat Djokovic at French Open and had MPs in their US Open match. Since 2014, Djokovic's head to head with Federer is 6-5. Federer at 34 is still making slam finals? What's Nadal doing? Your hero is already done at 29. Yeah sure Nadal is better. of ocurse age is a valid excuse. How many players play at 34 let alone make slam finals? You are the one who should stop kissing Nadal's backside.
Original post by The_K1NG
You are a Nadal fan right? When did Novak start whooping Federer's backside in 09? At least get your facts right. Your hero Nadal has been the one getting his backside whooped by Djokovic since 2011. 7-0 against Djokovic in 2011 and 2012. Federer beat Djokovic at French Open and had MPs in their US Open match. Since 2014, Djokovic's head to head with Federer is 6-5. Federer at 34 is still making slam finals? What's Nadal doing? Your hero is already done at 29. Yeah sure Nadal is better. of ocurse age is a valid excuse. How many players play at 34 let alone make slam finals? You are the one who should stop kissing Nadal's backside.

lets focus on the actual important tournaments, whats federers record vs novak and nadal in grand slams? both combined have been whooping his backside since 09, even further back tbh. You are just completely nonsensical, Federer fans are delusional of the highest order, he isnt winning another slam, get over it. Federer last won at 31, do we win participation medals now? A final isnt a grand slam win last time I checked.
lets focus on the actual important tournaments, whats federers record vs novak and nadal in grand slams? both combined have been whooping his backside since 09, even further back tbh. You are just completely nonsensical, Federer fans are delusional of the highest order, he isnt winning another slam, get over it. Federer last won at 31, do we win participation medals now? A final isnt a grand slam win last time I checked.

yeah Fed just happens to have bad days at grand slams and especially finals so he isn't at his best game. If he was at his best he could beat Jesus, let alone Djokovic or Nadal bruv.
(that was sarcasm)
They've been whooping his ass since 08 actually. Djokovic thrashed Federer in straights sets at AO 08 and Nadal beat Federer at Wimbledon 08. And if Nadal hadn't lost to Murray in the USO 08 semi final, Federer wouldn't have won that either. This was when Djokovic and Nadal were 21/22, about the age Federer started to dominate himself.
uh oh here comes the delusional cavalry. lets remember the world class talents like mark philo-whateverhisnameis and marcos baghdatis, thats real quality to win a grand slam. Sigh, when will people get their heads out their backsides. Its ok, lets pretend Federer will win another slam, this seems to be a fun chore for people on here. Its ok, head to heads dont matter of course in grand slams, Federer just cba to play well in grand slam finals vs Nadal and Novak right? Or he misses his pet dogs just on grand slam final days so thats why he loses again, and again, and again, and again? any more excuses? post them right here!
(edited 8 years ago)
Looks like a lot of people are either stuck in the past or have only been following tennis for a few years here and there. Need to deal with facts rather than dismissing a player's achievements or predicting hypotheticals.
(edited 8 years ago)
I really hope Novak gets the recognition he deserves sooner rather than later, it must be hard to have the crowd always cheer against you and I think he did a great job of handling that during the final, a lot better than most would anyway. It's a shame some people can't appreciate other people's achievements whether it's the no. of slams won or consistency in challenging for slams and still being at the top of the game. Everyone is welcome to have a favourite player but a little respect here and there definitely wouldn't go amiss.
If you adjust for age then this for Nadal is Fed's 2010 season and for Djokovic, Fed's 2009 season. So at the end of 2010 he had 16 slams to Nadal's 14 and to the end of 2009 he had 15 slams to Djokovic's 10.
Original post by Rakas21
If you adjust for age then this for Nadal is Fed's 2010 season and for Djokovic, Fed's 2009 season. So at the end of 2010 he had 16 slams to Nadal's 14 and to the end of 2009 he had 15 slams to Djokovic's 10.
You're forgetting that Djokovic has had to deal with a peak Nadal, a peak Murray, Wawrinka in the last couple of years, as well as Federer who is still playing great tennis for his age (though admittedly not as good as 7-9 years ago). From 04 to 07, Federer had no competition. His toughest competition on non-clay courts was Roddick lol. Djokovic's 10 slams are worth more like 20 with the difficulty of opponents he has had to face.

He is 34 you ****. He isn't supposed to win a slam at that age. The fact that he is making finals at this stage of his career is impressive. Most Federer fans don't expect him to win a slam anyway. We are just happy to see him play. Federer's record is 6-8 against Djokovic in slams with three defeats coming in the last two years where Federer was the massive underdog. Learn to respect all tennis players.
Original post by snowman77
You're forgetting that Djokovic has had to deal with a peak Nadal, a peak Murray, Wawrinka in the last couple of years, as well as Federer who is still playing great tennis for his age (though admittedly not as good as 7-9 years ago). From 04 to 07, Federer had no competition. His toughest competition on non-clay courts was Roddick lol. Djokovic's 10 slams are worth more like 20 with the difficulty of opponents he has had to face.

Roddick has a winning record over Djokovic. And if Federer dominated in a weak era then he is a weak champion which means that he isn't a tough competition for Djokovic so don't use him to big up Djokovic's competition.

Quick Reply

Latest