The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ubi1
The French open will the most open only if Nole wins Rome otherwise it will be business as usual.

This doesn't follow at all. Rafa has been challenged on clay more times than I can remember this year so even if he wins Rome I'm not sure it's going to be plain sailing at all at the French. Even if Novak loses today he's played Rafa close and I don't think will be hugely deterred.
Original post by Sirocco11
Missed the whole first set - what did it look like? Was Rafa playing well and Djokovic making a lot of errors? I saw the winner count and Rafa's only hit 6 compared to Djokovic's 23 - looking at that stat I couldn't work out how the match has been played so far.

Rafa was 4-1 up in the first but Djokovic pulled it back to 4-4. It looks as though Djokovic has played well since.
Reply 662
Take a bow Novak Djokovic. Just wow!

Novak is the slight favourite for RG in my opinion.
Amazing match from Djokovic to come back and beat Rafa on clay, hopefully he can keep the momentum up till Roland Garros!
Reply 664
He may have lost the first set, but otherwise a clinical display from Novak Djokovic - he really has worked out and executed a brilliant plan against Nadal.
Roland Garros is best of 5 and the courts play differently there - little bit drier, lots of space at the back of the court, which can aid Rafa's defence. But 2014 is looking like the year where the Field can finally step up.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2014/05/20/By-The-Numbers-Nishikori-Top-10.aspx

This page really underlines how special the big 4 are (5 if we include Del Potro). The other 5 players in the top 10 all had to wait until 21+ to break into the top 10 and the two youngest (Raonic and Nikishori) are already 23 and 24.

I mean bar Del Potro and Tomic, when was the last time we saw a teen push in a grand slam.
Good news, Del Potro may be able to contest the US Open.
Reply 667
Watching the French Open draw live, so far here's what's happening:

Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer in same quarter; Wawrinka v. Murray potentially - potential Nadal-Wawrinka rematch

Federer and Djokovic find themselves in the bottom half yet again: potential Quarters are Djokovic-Raonic and Federer-Berdych

Djokovic also lands Nishikori, so his section is not exactly straightforward.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Krish4791
Watching the French Open draw live, so far here's what's happening:

Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer in same quarter; Wawrinka v. Murray potentially - potential Nadal-Wawrinka rematch

Federer and Djokovic find themselves in the bottom half yet again: potential Quarters are Djokovic-Raonic and Federer-Berdych

Djokovic also lands Nishikori, so his section is not exactly straightforward.

got a feeling that should they meet wawrinka will beat nadal
Reply 669
Original post by ThatMadClown
got a feeling that should they meet wawrinka will beat nadal

I think it's quite possible - depends on how hot Wawrinka is this tournament. Can't wait for it to begin now
Reply 670
So Radwanska, Federer and Serena are the big names that are in action tomorrow - the most "open" French Open in the last decade or so (excluding 2009) is about to get underway...
Looking forward to this. Haven't watched much tennis in the last few months but I should be able to watch plenty of the French Open.
How ****ed up is it that Rafa is not even opening on Chatrier (centre court) for his opening match? 8 time champion, defending champion and world no.1 and they put him on Lenglen putatively because Ginepri wouldn't give him a match. Not like that mega tough match Novak is having against Sousa right now or the dogfight Federer had with Lacko yesterday ...

It's a snub if ever I saw one.
Federer, Raonic and Djokovic all progress.

Nikishori is out and will lose points.

Nadal is playing right now, Murray, Hewitt and Dimitrov yet to play.
Reply 674
How ****ed up is it that Rafa is not even opening on Chatrier (centre court) for his opening match? 8 time champion, defending champion and world no.1 and they put him on Lenglen putatively because Ginepri wouldn't give him a match. Not like that mega tough match Novak is having against Sousa right now or the dogfight Federer had with Lacko yesterday ...

It's a snub if ever I saw one.

It's been clear for quite a while now, the French Open organisers (and the crowd) are stupid/rude and most of them have not taken a liking at all to Rafa. Not letting him open on Philippe Chatrier is like saying they don't respect him or his success at their tournament.
I don't buy the "Ginepri won't give him a match" excuse either, as all the top rounds are easy.
Something tells me the organisers are trying to find ways in which to mentally unsettle Nadal, make him feel like he's not going to win the title this year
Original post by Krish4791
It's been clear for quite a while now, the French Open organisers (and the crowd) are stupid/rude and most of them have not taken a liking at all to Rafa. Not letting him open on Philippe Chatrier is like saying they don't respect him or his success at their tournament.
I don't buy the "Ginepri won't give him a match" excuse either, as all the top rounds are easy.
Something tells me the organisers are trying to find ways in which to mentally unsettle Nadal, make him feel like he's not going to win the title this year

It's really crooked, and just infuriating every year that the organisers will give him second class treatment, not to mention the crowd, who actively and consistently cheer against him. Isner chipped in about the whole thing asking how many times he has to win it to get on Chartrier? There was also a rumour going around in 2011 at the French Open when they changed the balls to lighter, faster Babolats that it was done on purpose to give heavy hitters a better chance against Rafa. It seems to go way back, too. I heard Mats Wilander recalling that the organisers used to call Yannick Noah up to ask what kind of balls he wanted to play with at the upcoming French Open.

Wawrinka has lost the first set against Lopez. Looks like he's going to have the toughest first set match out of the top 4.
Stan Wawrinka in real, real trouble. Two sets to one down, and already a break down in the 4th set.
It's really crooked, and just infuriating every year that the organisers will give him second class treatment, not to mention the crowd, who actively and consistently cheer against him. Isner chipped in about the whole thing asking how many times he has to win it to get on Chartrier? There was also a rumour going around in 2011 at the French Open when they changed the balls to lighter, faster Babolats that it was done on purpose to give heavy hitters a better chance against Rafa. It seems to go way back, too. I heard Mats Wilander recalling that the organisers used to call Yannick Noah up to ask what kind of balls he wanted to play with at the upcoming French Open.

Wawrinka has lost the first set against Lopez. Looks like he's going to have the toughest first set match out of the top 4.

It's wierd given how bankable he is.

Then again, we know that tournaments used to rig the draw to try get a Fedal match.
This is really disappointing
Stan Wawrinka is virtually out of the French Open. One game away, and it looks it will be a final set bagel too. Such an ignominious return to Grand Slams after winning the Australian Open.

Quick Reply

Latest