The Student Room Group

Is anyone doing Edexcel S3?

If so, how are you finding it?

I'm doing an AS in further maths [finished C3-4 and S2] and I've decided to do FP1 [halfway through matrices right now], FP2 and either S3 or M1.
Reply 1
Original post by Angryification
If so, how are you finding it?

I'm doing an AS in further maths [finished C3-4 and S2] and I've decided to do FP1 [halfway through matrices right now], FP2 and either S3 or M1.

It's a lot harder than S1 and S2 and develops concepts covered in those two modules, like hypothesis testing and correlation, in much greater depth, so you need to be really secure with the first two modules to get through S3. I would recommend M1 over it, it's easier and more interesting. Having said this, if you're considering a degree in Stats/Economics/Finance, it may be more useful to take S3 over M1 if you are dedicated enough.
Reply 2
Original post by Giant
It's a lot harder than S1 and S2 and develops concepts covered in those two modules, like hypothesis testing and correlation, in much greater depth, so you need to be really secure with the first two modules to get through S3. I would recommend M1 over it, it's easier and more interesting. Having said this, if you're considering a degree in Stats/Economics/Finance, it may be more useful to take S3 over M1 if you are dedicated enough.

I echo this

But would also add that - even if you are looking at those degrees they will teach the Stats needed at undergraduate level

Also - do consider D1 - I know that it is seen as soft by some but it does address some useful topics
Thanks for the help! I will look through an M1 and D1 and S3 if I can find the book

Quick Reply

Latest