The Student Room Group

Biology homework help plz

This biology homework is really starting to annoy me. Can somebody please help me with it?? The topic is Mitosis and Meiosis
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by rosie.96
this biology homework is really starting to annoy me. Can somebody please help me with it??

What's it on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96

Meiosis and the crossing over thing
Meiosis and the crossing over thing

What are you stuck on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucy96
What are you stuck on? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question 1c, 2b, 2d ii, 4 all parts. :biggrin:
Question 1c, 2b, 2d ii, 4 all parts. :biggrin:

1c) Mutation 1 will not affect the amino acid sequence as it will have the same sequence (glycerine) thus the same primary structure as the original due to the combination.

2b) The appearance of the chromosomes is due to the sister chromatids produced as a result of DNA replication. They are held together by the centromere (which can be seen on the diagram in the middle of the chromatids :tongue:)

2d ii) 8 :smile:

4a)tsr upload.jpg

b)bivalent

c i) Ab, aB

ii) AB, ab

d) independent assortment- it results in a different combination of maternal and paternal chromosomes so more variation.
mutation- this will change the combination of alleles, so again there is more variation.

There you go :tongue:
Original post by Lucy96
1c) Mutation 1 will not affect the amino acid sequence as it will have the same sequence (glycerine) thus the same primary structure as the original due to the combination.

2b) The appearance of the chromosomes is due to the sister chromatids produced as a result of DNA replication. They are held together by the centromere (which can be seen on the diagram in the middle of the chromatids :tongue:)

2d ii) 8 :smile:

4a)tsr upload.jpg

b)bivalent

c i) Ab, aB

ii) AB, ab

d) independent assortment- it results in a different combination of maternal and paternal chromosomes so more variation.
mutation- this will change the combination of alleles, so again there is more variation.

There you go :tongue:

Thank u sooo much!!!! for the help!!!
btw can u explain how did u work out 4a, please?
(edited 10 years ago)
Thank u sooo much!!!! for the help!!!
btw can u explain how did u work out 4a, please?

For 4a, when you've got a big "X" shaped chromosome what that means it's made up of two genetically identical chromatids. So whatever's on one chromatid, must be on the other chromatid, too!
The question says that the person has the genotype "AaBb" - so we know that since they're homologous chromosomes (i.e. both chromosomes contain the same genes) then the other chromosome must have the alleles that the chromosome we labelled first doesn't have. So when one chromosome has an "A", then the other chromosome must have the "a". And it's the same with the B and b's.

If the person had an "AABb" genotype, then that'd tell you that both chromosomes have a big A, but then only one has a big B and the other has a little b. Hope that helps. :smile:
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
For 4a, when you've got a big "X" shaped chromosome what that means it's made up of two genetically identical chromatids. So whatever's on one chromatid, must be on the other chromatid, too!
The question says that the person has the genotype "AaBb" - so we know that since they're homologous chromosomes (i.e. both chromosomes contain the same genes) then the other chromosome must have the alleles that the chromosome we labelled first doesn't have. So when one chromosome has an "A", then the other chromosome must have the "a". And it's the same with the B and b's.

If the person had an "AABb" genotype, then that'd tell you that both chromosomes have a big A, but then only one has a big B and the other has a little b. Hope that helps. :smile:

Got it thanx :smile:
and how is it 8 for 2 d ii? :biggrin:
and for 2d i would u just draw a single chromosome in the cell or two joined together? :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending