The Student Room Group

A-LEVEL options for an indecisive overachiever

I am unsure of which options to chose as someone who is unsure of what they want to go into. some careers ive explored and are interested in are computer science, game development, Radiography, sports science, dietics, journalism and law.

the options:
english lit, history, biology
english lit, philosophy aqa, computer science
english lit, history, computer science

what do you think?(I cannot take maths due to scheduling issues, but if I get the grades I may be able to do statistics as a 4th subject)
I dont do humanities but Ive heard alot only need one essay subject. For radiography you would need one of physics bio or chem. From your choices seems like you are leaning towards law or journalism
Reply 2
Original post by skz123
I am unsure of which options to chose as someone who is unsure of what they want to go into. some careers ive explored and are interested in are computer science, game development, Radiography, sports science, dietics, journalism and law.
the options:
english lit, history, biology
english lit, philosophy aqa, computer science
english lit, history, computer science
what do you think?(I cannot take maths due to scheduling issues, but if I get the grades I may be able to do statistics as a 4th subject)

If you're leaning towards doing radiography i'd suggest picking the first option since most radiography courses will want you to do at least 1 science. I'm doing history and biology rn for my a levels so if you have any questions lmk!
Reply 3
Original post by rxnia
If you're leaning towards doing radiography i'd suggest picking the first option since most radiography courses will want you to do at least 1 science. I'm doing history and biology rn for my a levels so if you have any questions lmk!

thank you!! how are you handling the workload of taking both content heavy subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by skz123
thank you!! how are you handling the workload of taking both content heavy subjects?

honestly, I won’t lie the workload is a lot and I definitely felt the jump from GCSEs to a level for biology. But after a while you just get used to it and the content is really interesting especially the immune system. One thing to note for bio is that the mark schemes are so specific. If you don’t write what they say you aren’t getting the mark even if what you’re saying is correct. But overall for biology, as long as you keep up with your revision and exam practise you’ll be fine.

For history, even though there’s a lot of content as well I think it’s definitely manageable. There’s lots of information you’ll be given that you don’t even need. I get set a lot of essays for homework so what I do is I do them the day they set them or a day after. That way I get them out of the way and focus on other things. For sixth form in general, your homework workload will be a lot so it’s a good habit to get into if you do your homework first thing after they set it and get it out of the way.
Hello @rxnia,

It is great to see that you are thinking so carefully about your choice of subjects and your future educational goals.

Entry requirements can vary from university to university, so it is very important that you consult the website of your preferred institution and course before making any decision about your A Levels.

You may also want to consider an institution with flexible entry requirements such as LIBF, which will give you more freedom in your A Level choices.

I have attached our guide, which may help you as you prepare to apply to university, whatever you decide to study and wherever you decide to apply. You can read it here - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd

I hope this is helpful!

Many thanks,

Sam

Quick Reply

Latest