The Student Room Group

Problem based learning at York. Ideal for an introvert?

hjj
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by JaneK89
I have recieved an interview invitation for the University of Yorks Problem Based learning based law course. I applied for course (stupidly) without doing much research and I am now very aprehensive about PBL. I am fairly introverted so i am worried the constant group work will not suit me. Can anyone offer any comments on what this method of study is like? Thanks

Hiya,
I am currently a first year during Law. PBL is a really good skill and I would not worry about being introverted. We have one person like that in our group and he doesn't get involved in any stuff but anything he says in PBL is extremely useful.
At the end of the day , you get what you put in for PBL. Some in law go out a lot but I have a job and uni at the same time so I don't get too involved but it's all good.
Any questions, feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 2
Thanks that's reassuring to hear. People generally don't realize I do not prefer and find it natural to be super sociable but i generally love my own company. I imagined university in the library on my own head in a book and finding out about problem based learning has made me worry York might not be right for me.

Do you generally have one leader within your "firm" who organises you and how much information are you given? Do you have to really find everything yourself?
Hi,
I am a second year law student at the University. PBL consists of two problems in first year and one in the second year. You work together in your 'mini law firm' to break down the problem that you are given in order to establish learning outcomes. You each individually research the outcomes and these link in to the lectures that are given that week. During the PBL session everyone takes in in turn to be the chairperson and the scribe. This may seem daunting if you are an introvert but I can reassure you that it is not just you. Your group will understand that everyone has different personalities but as your relationships with the people grow you will become more confident- trust me. I was daunted at the process and like you did not fully research the approach but I was open to new ideas and everyone is accommodating. Generally, you get given the problem and work through it and this is supervised by a 'tutor.' The tutors are generally practicing solicitors, PHD students or someone who has had experience in the legal sector, such as the Law Commission. They guide you through the process and you initially have a lot of support from them and then this support decreases as you get used to the idea of PBL. As I said previously the problem links in to lectures that you have that week. Also, half way through the week your firm will meet and have an 'interim' session. These sessions make sure that you are on the right track with your work and the interim tutors tell you what key facts, cases, legislation etc that you have missed. You do not have one leader within the firm who organises the rest of the firm as PBL is very much focused towards group participation but do not be daunted by this. Also, do not be afraid about the PBL process and working as part of a team as support is provided and you can still get a lot out of the sessions without contributing every five seconds.

Also, you work together as a firm in Legal Skills where you negotiate, draft documents and in second year 'go to court' with another party. Employers love the PBL approach that York has adopted as it is very unique and you get to establish many key skills that employers look for when recruiting. The main thing that I want to stress to you is do not be worried that you may not fit in. The firm that you are put in will understand that you are apprehensive and the tutors will see that too and will support you. Yes you are working as part of a team but this is not constant as you do not always have to contribute and you also have lectures and that breaks up your time. Another bonus to working in the law firm is that you do not have to be worried if you miss out information as this will be picked up on in the sessions and you will then be able to go away and research it. This is especially helpful if you have not found everything yourself for the problem due to other commitments.

If you have any further questions about PBL or just about York in general do not hesitate to message me.
Reply 4
Original post by Colourful_Cobra
Hi,
I am a second year law student at the University. PBL consists of two problems in first year and one in the second year. You work together in your 'mini law firm' to break down the problem that you are given in order to establish learning outcomes. You each individually research the outcomes and these link in to the lectures that are given that week. During the PBL session everyone takes in in turn to be the chairperson and the scribe. This may seem daunting if you are an introvert but I can reassure you that it is not just you. Your group will understand that everyone has different personalities but as your relationships with the people grow you will become more confident- trust me. I was daunted at the process and like you did not fully research the approach but I was open to new ideas and everyone is accommodating. Generally, you get given the problem and work through it and this is supervised by a 'tutor.' The tutors are generally practicing solicitors, PHD students or someone who has had experience in the legal sector, such as the Law Commission. They guide you through the process and you initially have a lot of support from them and then this support decreases as you get used to the idea of PBL. As I said previously the problem links in to lectures that you have that week. Also, half way through the week your firm will meet and have an 'interim' session. These sessions make sure that you are on the right track with your work and the interim tutors tell you what key facts, cases, legislation etc that you have missed. You do not have one leader within the firm who organises the rest of the firm as PBL is very much focused towards group participation but do not be daunted by this. Also, do not be afraid about the PBL process and working as part of a team as support is provided and you can still get a lot out of the sessions without contributing every five seconds.

Also, you work together as a firm in Legal Skills where you negotiate, draft documents and in second year 'go to court' with another party. Employers love the PBL approach that York has adopted as it is very unique and you get to establish many key skills that employers look for when recruiting. The main thing that I want to stress to you is do not be worried that you may not fit in. The firm that you are put in will understand that you are apprehensive and the tutors will see that too and will support you. Yes you are working as part of a team but this is not constant as you do not always have to contribute and you also have lectures and that breaks up your time. Another bonus to working in the law firm is that you do not have to be worried if you miss out information as this will be picked up on in the sessions and you will then be able to go away and research it. This is especially helpful if you have not found everything yourself for the problem due to other commitments.

If you have any further questions about PBL or just about York in general do not hesitate to message me.

Thank you so much for all this information
Reply 5
Thanks so much for your help. I definitely feel reassured and speaking to friends who have also studied using PBL but in a medicine degree I think I will be able to make PBL work for me. My interview is tomorrow.
Reply 6
The thing is that being seriously introverted is a real handicap in a people business like law. That doesn't mean introverts can not be fantastic academically, but if that spills over as far as anxiety in social situations and shy awkwardness then that is going to be a real difficulty. The great thing about the York course - and I have only read about it - is that those people skills must inevitably be improved to a huge degree. In modern life very few opportunities exist for out and out "loners".
Reply 7
What Old Simon said TBH. Being an introvert is cool, but if it affects your life in this way you're going to have to deal with it sooner or later or else you'll find it a real problem. Best to do it early.
Reply 8
Hi, I have been offered a place for Law at York - and PBL sounds good. But I am worried that some people may dominate the group and also are the tutors good and willing to support you when you ask for help.
I am OK with exams and noticed that some people on the day said they had chosen the course because they were not. Would you say that was true?
Being such a small law dept - 120 students does that seem an advantage?
As far as you know do people get jobs because they have done PBL or do firms prefer the usual places. BTW I also have a place at Warwick.
Lots of ???? Grateful for any answers.
Thx
P.
Reply 9
are you saying that there is ONLY TWO problems in the first year with PBL? seems odd to me with all the hype given to this novel approach (that has been in Scandinavia for 20 years btw) and only 2 problems... and one in year two. can you let me know how all the other problems are then solved? groups or individually?CheersPeter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending