The Student Room Group

What do you think of people who find A-level Maths hard?

I'm just curious. What is your honest opinion about students who find AS Maths challenging - as in, VERY challenging? Do you look down on them at all? What does your school think about these people?

I hope I don't offend anyone with this thread. :s-smilie: I'm just curious, that's all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
that they're normal? lots of people struggle with AS maths.. it is a big step up from GCSE.
Lol I don't look down on them, I'm not bothered tbh, everyone has different abilities...but C1 really is doable....
Reply 3
I would think they're probably missing some crucial foundations and that they need to work on getting those down first and then the AS material will likely fall into place much more quickly.

Or were you looking for 'they're probably retarded'?
To be honest, anyone who takes Maths AS in my school is seen as clever and academic, whether they struggle or not. Why would people look down on them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm thinking that their teachers were pretty bad.

Or that they're just not good at maths? I'm pretty sure I'd get a U in GCSE Latin, doesn't make me any worse than someone who can't crack maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maths at a-level is hard and I wouldn't look down on anyone
Why would you look down on anyone for not being able to handle A level maths? Some people are good at different things, I for one cannot draw a decent picture to save my life, should I be looked down on because of that?

Are you just looking for a reason to call them stupid?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wouldn't really think anything of them! Not everyone's good at maths.
There are perfectly good reasons to find AS-Level maths hard, it is quite different to GCSE and is harder. I wouldn't really say that I found AS maths hard, although I found some of it like stats quite hard, but that could be to do with my rubbish teacher.

Not everyone is talented at maths.
Reply 10
Original post by Meganekko
I'm just curious. What is your honest opinion about students who find AS Maths challenging - as in, VERY challenging? Do you look down on them at all? What does your school think about these people?

I hope I don't offend anyone with this thread. :s-smilie: I'm just curious, that's all.

I have a friend who got A* GCSE maths and then did AS maths and really struggled (Got a C in C1, E in S1 (i think) and U in C2, E overall). He worked really hard but it just wasn't the subject for him, everyone finds different subjects difficult. I mean he now has an unconditional offer to study biology and Leicester so he has done quite well :P I'd never look down on someone for struggling with a subject
Reply 11
Thanks for the opinions, everyone. Just so you know, I'm not calling them "stupid" at all. The school I go to has a lot of snobs who would consider you "worthless" unless you got at least 10 A* grades at GCSE and could whizz through all the maths/science-based subjects effortlessly. I have a couple of friends who were really struggling to cope and ended up having to drop A-level Maths. These people got the "you're so dumb / you're so lazy" talks from both other students AND teachers, which REALLY bothered me. They shouldn't be treated like that.
Reply 12
I don't really care because SHOCK HORROR people have different talents and strengths.
Reply 13
well in as maths there are a lot of new topics whereas before you just build up knowledge slowly
a level maths was piss easy.
That they find A-Level maths hard?
Reply 16
That they're not good at maths?
...that they're not good at Maths and would be better off doing something that doesn't include a high mathematical content at university.
that they're not good at Maths and would be better off doing something that doesn't include a high mathematical content at university.
Reply 19
Perhaps they're not used to the massive jump from GCSE yet? To be honest, if somebody is not good at Maths, I'll blame it on their up bringing. Maths is a subject where if you understand the steps to answer a question, it is not a hard subject.

Quick Reply

Latest