The Student Room Group

doing 5 AS levels?

i definitely want to do maths, further maths and physics (to get a degree in physics at university). for my 4th option, i'd like to do either:

german (because i'm very good at it and enjoy it a lot. one of my gcse controlled assessments were AS level standard, and my teacher thinks i could cope very well).

or chemistry (it seems a bit more relevant to physics and opens far more doors. however, it's not my best subject currently (i'm on an A for it and A*s for everything else) and i don't enjoy it that much).

which subject would be more useful and which do you think i should choose out of german and chemistry?
would it be sensible to take both of them or would the workload with 5 as levels be too much?
Reply 1
Original post by tanyapotter
i definitely want to do maths, further maths and physics (to get a degree in physics at university). for my 4th option, i'd like to do either:

german (because i'm very good at it and enjoy it a lot. one of my gcse controlled assessments were AS level standard, and my teacher thinks i could cope very well).

or chemistry (it seems a bit more relevant to physics and opens far more doors. however, it's not my best subject currently (i'm on an A for it and A*s for everything else) and i don't enjoy it that much).

which subject would be more useful and which do you think i should choose out of german and chemistry?
would it be sensible to take both of them or would the workload with 5 as levels be too much?

First of all, I wouldn't really recommend 5 AS. It's too much work and it's not necessary. 4 is fine.

I would also recommend that although Chemistry is more relevant to physics, it's notoriously difficult at a level (I do chem and fm and I find chem harder). If you don't enjoy, then I wouldn't recommend it (I find it so so boring).

Quick Reply

Latest