The Student Room Group

Have you always known what you would be doing for a-level/ degree?

Just curious. Did anyone here always have a few favourite subjects and managed to keep those to a-level?

For me, I have done a complete 180 degrees turn over. If you had asked me at the beginning of year ten what my favourite subjects were/what I would be doing for a-level, I would probably have said History, English, Art. But over the year and a half doing my (i)GCSEs, I have begun to appreciate these subjects less and less. So when we had to pick our a-level options last month, I made a list of all my current subjects and started to cross them off one by one. The first four to go were art, history, eng lang and eng lit. It was a bit saddening. I ended up choosing maths and sciences. Now, I pretty much disliked the sciences before because I found them uninteresting in addition to the fact that they were my weakest area of subjects (predicted low a*s, hope to remedy this by the summer). They still are, but I have grown much more fond of the various discussions we talk about in lessons. So, back to my original question, what about you guys?

Scroll to see replies

Nope, I change my mind far too often :redface: though there were always subjects I couldn't wait to get rid of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been all over the shop really. I thought I would be reading history at university until year 11 where I turned full circle and went from law to medicine. Currently a first year medic at Cardiff :smile:
Reply 3
I originally wanted to do computer science before moving to maths, then I moved to maths & physics :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lucy96
Nope, I change my mind far too often :redface: though there were always subjects I couldn't wait to get rid of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me, there was never a particular subject I wanted to get rid of. It was only till now that I wondered which subject I was the most bored in. And that for me, was latin. Latin is (arguably) my best subject, and for that reason the gcse is not hard and I find it slightly tedious. I did use to think I might want to latin as well, as I was good at it and even mymother was shocked when I told her I was dropping it. Some of my friends think I am a fool to drop my best subject. As for the sciences, at gcse level the concepts aren't that hard, but I always make an effort to bring the discussions into more advanced territory. At least it makes the lessons more thought-provoking and stimulating.
Original post by Muppet Science
I have been all over the shop really. I thought I would be reading history at university until year 11 where I turned full circle and went from law to medicine. Currently a first year medic at Cardiff :smile:

Aha, when I was thinking about a-levels, I wondered about my career choice. First thing that came to my head was neuroscience, psychology, and medicine. All of which requires biology, my worst performing subject. I can be ridiculous at times.

Original post by TheBBQ
I originally wanted to do computer science before moving to maths, then I moved to maths & physics :smile:

That's not so bad, at least they relate. My ones went from the liberal arts/humanities to science!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Since I was a zygote.

Lol, jk I declined my offers in Y13 and took a gap year to apply for physics because I only then realised it was what I wanted to do.
Reply 6
Original post by Muffyn

That's not so bad, at least they relate. My ones went from the liberal arts/humanities to science!!

Wow that deviated quite a bit!:lol:
Reply 7
I knew what I wanted to do at A-level, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Why? Because those are my best subjects, and the ones I enjoy the most.

Degree level, however, was different. I chose to do Neuroscience and am now completely regretting it.
Reply 8
Original post by alow
Since I was a zygote.

Lol, jk I declined my offers in Y13 and took a gap year to apply for physics because I only then realised it was what I wanted to do.
what were the offers for?
Reply 9
Original post by Muffyn
what were the offers for?

Medicine.
Reply 10
Original post by tomtjl
I knew what I wanted to do at A-level, Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Why? Because those are my best subjects, and the ones I enjoy the most.

Degree level, however, was different. I chose to do Neuroscience and am now completely regretting it.

Original post by alow
Medicine.

See, med and neuroscience are both courses I am interested in. But biology is my worst performing subject. My friends and teachers all say I could still pursue them if I wanted because I still got good grades but it still does not take away from the fact that it is my wort subject. Well, at least I've got maths to fall back on, which is both one of my best subjects and interests me. Even choosing two sciences for a-level is making me nervous - praying that I don't fail them in year 12.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Muffyn
See, med and neuroscience are both courses I am interested in. But biology is my worst performing subject. My friends and teachers all say I could still pursue them if I wanted because I still got grades but it still does not take away from the fact that it is my wort subject. Well, at least I've got maths to fall back on, which is both one of my best subjects and interests me. Even choosing two sciences for a-level is making me nervous - praying that I don't fail them in year 12.

Biology was my worst subject too, couldn't stand it. Perhaps why it was the only subject I got an A in.

If you don't like bio then chances are you wont like all of the science side of medicine as it's pretty much loads of rote-learned biology.

Liking maths and physics more is what made me apply for physics.
Reply 12
Nope. Used to think I wanted to do media studies, luckily I saw the light and picked mathematics
Reply 13
Original post by alow
Biology was my worst subject too, couldn't stand it. Perhaps why it was the only subject I got an A in.

If you don't like bio then chances are you wont like all of the science side of medicine as it's pretty much loads of rote-learned biology.

Liking maths and physics more is what made me apply for physics.

Ah, bio was your worst subject too? Got to admire you for pursuing it to a-level. Everyone else I have spoke to have all chosen the subjects they are interested in. Interest in = best subjects. Which is why I am considered odd for instantly dropping all my better subjects (except maths). I did end up choosing chem and bio but I think I will switch to chem and phys because I love phys so much ( even if it's my second worst performing subject after bio, ahhh, the never-ending problem).
Reply 14
Original post by Muffyn
Ah, bio was your worst subject too? Got to admire you for pursuing it to a-level. Everyone else I have spoke to have all chosen the subjects they are interested in. Interest in = best subjects. Which is why I am considered odd for instantly dropping all my better subjects (except maths). I did end up choosing chem and bio but I think I will switch to chem and phys because I love phys so much ( even if it's my second worst performing subject after bio, ahhh, the never-ending problem).

If you enjoy a subject you're going to find it a hell of a lot easier to study it.
I originally wanted to do Biology, Sociology, Law and Psychology with the intention of doing a Psychology degree afterwards at the start of year 11.

Then I changed my mind half way through year 11 and chose Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology at AS and now I want to do a Neuroscience degree.
Reply 16
Mine didn't take a drastic turn, but I did completely change my mind at the start of year 12. Ever since I was 4 I wanted to be a vet surgeon, and took my A levels to complement this. I am doing Biology, Chemistry, maths and Physics (I originally took geology instead of physics but geology got cancelled). Thank god geology got dropped because now Physics is my second favourite subject, and now I want to do maths at uni. Maths has always been my best subject though, but now biology and chemistry I am struggling with, but physics and maths I seem to be coping well. Only problem is I could do with further maths, hoping to do an AS in it next year. But yeah, so I did a change in my interest as well, loads of people do, I think. :smile:
Well.. I pretty much knew what I wanted to do as a career. So I suppose, I knew what degree was needed.
Nope I've been all over the place, Law, Investment Banking, Accountancy, Engineering. Right now It's either Neuroscience or Pharmacology :smile:
I'm in Year 11 and always wanted to do Maths and Further, just undecided on the other ones :tongue: I ended up choosing Physics and Chemistry :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest