The Student Room Group

Feel so confused about what to study at university

I originally applied at university to study History and Spanish. However, I now feel like I am not sure I would like to do that course. I feel like I would be happier doing something more directly involved... I was thinking Architecture. My A-levels, however, were not good enough to do that subject at the university where I was going to go, I achieved A*BB and the entry requirements are AAA. On top of this I'm not sure if I am romanticising it. Even though I have always enjoyed drawing and am very interested in how cities have a social function and how they change people's lives.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by graio
I originally applied at university to study History and Spanish. However, I now feel like I am not sure I would like to do that course. I feel like I would be happier doing something more directly involved... I was thinking Architecture. My A-levels, however, were not good enough to do that subject at the university where I was going to go, I achieved A*BB and the entry requirements are AAA. On top of this I'm not sure if I am romanticising it. Even though I have always enjoyed drawing and am very interested in how cities have a social function and how they change people's lives.

It is a seven-year process to become an architect. You have to study RIBA-validated undergraduate and masters architecture courses with a year in a practice in between, followed by a further year in practice and a final exam. It's a long process if you're not sure about it. Also, for the majority of unis you will need to submit a portfolio as part of the application process. Would you be able to do that?

The following thread shows the current A level entry requirements for architecture courses:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710
Original post by graio

Hi there!

Firstly, it is well-known that university is a major financial commitment, so you can start off by thinking if it would be worth studying a course that you do not enjoy that also costs a lot of money. It is good to think about future job prospects and so on, but simultaneously, you would want to study a course that you love and are passionate about. That way, it is less likely that you would regret and start to detest your choices in hindsight.

If you are extremely set on studying Architecture but have missed out on the entry requirements, it may be worth considering attending a college to obtain further qualifications to boost the amount of UCAS points you have. However, that comes subject to whether the university you are looking at and the course accepts other qualifications such as Access to HE diplomas.

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Original post by graio

Hi there , first of all you are valid in feeling a little confused with what to do. I was there once , its not easy being 100% sure that this one thing is what you want to dedicate the next three years of your life to and then do the same thing till you retire. People are complex and you can have completely different interests and aspirations. I always wanted to study engineering but I often had feelings that maybe a career that better suits my extrovert personality would have been nice. My advise is that you research architecture abit more , there are many careers you can take with that degree , you don't necessarily have to be an architect. You can be an architecture technologist , a town planner , urban designer , building control surveyor and so many other things in between that don't require you to dedicate 7 years to qualifying as a practising architect . But as mentioned by @normaw , this is a decision you need to be sure about , definitely look into the links they provided they will be useful to the research you now need to do.
I suggest you attend some open days with universities that offer the degree and talk to some lecturers about the course , your career options and the what the required portfolio should consist of. We have our open day on the 18th of November and we would love to help.
I also suggest that you check if the university you are interested in has a foundation course you can apply to instead with lower entrance requirements .
I hope this helps .
Cece
Energy Engineering
De Montfort University
Original post by graio

Hi @graio

I think taking some time to write down a pros and cons list on both courses would be best for you. Taking a break from university if you’re really not sure is not a bad thing and it could work out for the better so you don’t spend more money on loans! In terms of entry requirements, lots of universities do Clearing, which is where courses have free spaces that they allow people who didn’t quite reach the entry requirements to apply for the course. Call around at your desired universities and see what they say!

I hope this helps! :smile:

Estelle
Third Year Psychology
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending