The Student Room Group

Advice for a failing masters student! :(

Hello,

Today I received 3 of the 5 results for the first semester of my Masters... I failed all 3. I don't even know how it happened and I didn't actually think the exams went THAT badly! Clearly I was wrong about that!

Anyway, the next semester is going to be even harder and I don't know if I'm out of my depth! On the other hand, I've taken out a £10,000 bank loan to pay for this course (it's horrendously expensive, I know!) and the thought of borrowing all that money just to drop out seems pointless!

I'm still waiting on 2 results (and I'm now panicking that I've failed those too!)

I guess I just want to speak to someone who's in the same boat/ has been here before?
I'm more upset about letting my parents and boyfriend down, although the realisation that I have to start paying that loan back at the end of 2nd semester is pretty scary too!!
Reply 1
Sorry about your exams, I'm only a first year so idk what to do about that...just try harder for next time I guess, you've made it this far so you're definitely capable :smile: But the thing that really caught my eye was that £10,000 commercial loan! Jesus, what madness motivated you to do that...? You borrowed it for the course? Do you know of the Student loan company?....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Sienne
Sorry about your exams, I'm only a first year so idk what to do about that...just try harder for next time I guess, you've made it this far so you're definitely capable :smile: But the thing that really caught my eye was that £10,000 commercial loan! Jesus, what madness motivated you to do that...? You borrowed it for the course? Do you know of the Student loan company?....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply!!

I should have been more clear, it is a Career Development Loan from Barclays, so it's interest free until the end of the course, but still a lot to pay back. It will end up being £210/ month for 5 years... That's why I now feel like this masters was a terrible idea! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by BristolRunner
Hello,

Today I received 3 of the 5 results for the first semester of my Masters... I failed all 3. I don't even know how it happened and I didn't actually think the exams went THAT badly! Clearly I was wrong about that!

Anyway, the next semester is going to be even harder and I don't know if I'm out of my depth! On the other hand, I've taken out a £10,000 bank loan to pay for this course (it's horrendously expensive, I know!) and the thought of borrowing all that money just to drop out seems pointless!

I'm still waiting on 2 results (and I'm now panicking that I've failed those too!)

I guess I just want to speak to someone who's in the same boat/ has been here before?
I'm more upset about letting my parents and boyfriend down, although the realisation that I have to start paying that loan back at the end of 2nd semester is pretty scary too!!

clearly something is drastically wrong

you need to find out what

ask your tutor
Reply 4
Original post by Sienne
Sorry about your exams, I'm only a first year so idk what to do about that...just try harder for next time I guess, you've made it this far so you're definitely capable :smile: But the thing that really caught my eye was that £10,000 commercial loan! Jesus, what madness motivated you to do that...?
You borrowed it for the course? Do you know of the Student loan company?....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just to clarify you can not get funding from the student loans company for masters, hence why you have to find other solutions.

Original post by BristolRunner
Hello,

Simple advice, see your tutors/lecturers, forget about grade only care about getting the pass. It is a lot of money you have given the uni to just give up on.

Quick Reply

Latest