The Student Room Group

Can I get into a funded PhD program in UCL with a 2:1?

I have a 2:1 BSc in Physics from Imperial and later completed an MPhil at a top Asian university (graded as pass/fail).

Prior to my master, I conducted 2-3 quality research projects in astrophysics with no pubs. Based on my MPhil thesis, I will have 6 first-author papers, with 3 already published in top astro journals and 1 submitted. I am currently working on the remaining two.

I'm considering applying for a PhD at UCL, but I'm unsure if my 2:1 undergraduate degree will ruin my chances, especially as an international student. I need some advice on whether UCL is a suitable choice for me.
Reply 1
You are in a good position because of the publications
Original post by elletsy
I have a 2:1 BSc in Physics from Imperial and later completed an MPhil at a top Asian university (graded as pass/fail).

Prior to my master, I conducted 2-3 quality research projects in astrophysics with no pubs. Based on my MPhil thesis, I will have 6 first-author papers, with 3 already published in top astro journals and 1 submitted. I am currently working on the remaining two.

I'm considering applying for a PhD at UCL, but I'm unsure if my 2:1 undergraduate degree will ruin my chances, especially as an international student. I need some advice on whether UCL is a suitable choice for me.

Hi there,

Grandes do matter but so does your track record, passion and determination. I got into my PhD with a first class and distinction (BSc and MSc) but without any publication and have been quite sucessful during it. It's key that you build a good relationship with the supervisor so they can advice and prepare you for the interview (if its a DTP scheme).

Best of luck,
Daniel
Reply 3
Three good publications will negate a slightly disappointing undergrad classification basically all the time. Give it a go. You have nothing to lose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending