The Student Room Group

SAT

Hi everyone!!

Wondering if any of you guys have taken the SAT already? What do you think is a good score for Universities? Feel free to give a breakdown if you like!
As in the SAT for US Universities. I haven't taken it (I took the ACT) but I took the subject tests and did all the practice tests. Isn't above a 2000 considered good? I'd expect universities to want above a 700 in each though, or at least the top ones.

According to Oxford University this is their general requirements:
"Successful candidates would typically have SAT Reasoning Test scores of at least 700 in Critical Reading, Mathematics and the Writing Paper, or ACT with a score of at least 32 out of 36. We would also expect Grade 5 in three or more Advanced Placement tests in appropriate subjects or SAT Subject Tests in three appropriate subjects at 700 or better."
Reply 2
Original post by Joan5626
Hi everyone!!

Wondering if any of you guys have taken the SAT already? What do you think is a good score for Universities? Feel free to give a breakdown if you like!

For UK unis, it depends. Oxbridge requires a 2,100 or above (at least a 700 in each section), but most UK unis would be happy with an 1,800 (at least a 600 in each section). Some of the more 'renowned' unis such as UCL require a 1,950 (at least a 650 in each section).

I managed to get a 2,060 (780 CR, 550 Maths, 730 Writing). I also took the SAT Literature Subject Test (arguably one of the harder Subject Tests) and got a 720. :smile:
Original post by Raymond666
For UK unis, it depends. Oxbridge requires a 2,100 or above (at least a 700 in each section), but most UK unis would be happy with an 1,800 (at least a 600 in each section). Some of the more 'renowned' unis such as UCL require a 1,950 (at least a 650 in each section).

I managed to get a 2,060 (780 CR, 550 Maths, 730 Writing). I also took the SAT Literature Subject Test (arguably one of the harder Subject Tests) and got a 720. :smile:

What put me off the SAT was the negative marking, how did you find it and did you need to practice a lot to make sure you didn't lose a lot of points (aka know when to guess and when not too)? Just curious, because evidently you did really well! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
What put me off the SAT was the negative marking, how did you find it and did you need to practice a lot to make sure you didn't lose a lot of points (aka know when to guess and when not too)? Just curious, because evidently you did really well! :smile:

Thanks! And nah, I actually didn't do much studying, to be perfectly honest (not that I'm trying to sound big-headed or whatever). I've always just had a way with English; in fact, I'm hopefully going to Newcastle University this summer to study a BA in English Language! :P

Also, word of advice: if you're crap at maths (I definitely am!), make sure you skip questions. I think I went a bit overboard with the omitting and probably skipped literally half of the maths questions on the SAT, but it's better than losing points, right? XD

Just make sure you brush up on some basic grammar rules and you're pretty much set. Oh, and read a lot. It doesn't matter whether it's Harry Potter (which I wholeheartedly recommend, because not only do I love HP, it can help you with your grammar and stuff) or a book on some really boring academic stuff: just read something that's substantial and can help increase your critical reading skills! :smile:
Thanks! And nah, I actually didn't do much studying, to be perfectly honest (not that I'm trying to sound big-headed or whatever). I've always just had a way with English; in fact, I'm hopefully going to Newcastle University this summer to study a BA in English Language! :P

Also, word of advice: if you're crap at maths (I definitely am!), make sure you skip questions. I think I went a bit overboard with the omitting and probably skipped literally half of the maths questions on the SAT, but it's better than losing points, right? XD

Just make sure you brush up on some basic grammar rules and you're pretty much set. Oh, and read a lot. It doesn't matter whether it's Harry Potter (which I wholeheartedly recommend, because not only do I love HP, it can help you with your grammar and stuff) or a book on some really boring academic stuff: just read something that's substantial and can help increase your critical reading skills! :smile:

Aha oh thats fantastic! Congratulations!!
I took Math I in the SAT subject tests and FORGOT to omit because I'd been so used to take the ACT where there is no negative marking, hence why I scored 580 or something.
Reply 6

WOW! That's soo amazing!! Your English skills are almost perfect! Admittedly, I am better in English than Math but not as good as you. I managed to get 1800 (600 CR, 590 Maths, 610 Writing). My essay just wasn't that good :'(. But honestly I actually didn't expect to get 2000. Surprisingly this was in my range of expectations.
Reply 7
Original post by Joan5626
WOW! That's soo amazing!! Your English skills are almost perfect! Admittedly, I am better in English than Math but not as good as you. I managed to get 1800 (600 CR, 590 Maths, 610 Writing). My essay just wasn't that good :'(. But honestly I actually didn't expect to get 2000. Surprisingly this was in my range of expectations.

I only got an 8 out of 12 on the essay, to be honest (whoever marks those essays must really hate his/her job, I reckon!). And I'd have been overjoyed if I had managed to get a 590 for the maths section! Good for you! :smile:
Reply 8
I took the SAT Math I when I was young and got a 670 but I didn't omit - hence the somewhat negative marking.

But I will do them next year so I can improve on them.
Reply 9
Original post by ChangeOurWorld
Aha oh thats fantastic! Congratulations!!
I took Math I in the SAT subject tests and FORGOT to omit because I'd been so used to take the ACT where there is no negative marking, hence why I scored 580 or something.

I just saw a thread you made about your offers from UCL, KSE and KCL! First of all, CONGRATS! They're some of the best unis in London, and you have offers from all three! :smile:

If you're good enough to get offers from those unis (I'm guessing you got a REALLY good ACT score!), then I'm sure you can get a higher SAT score than I did, seeing as how I've firmed an offer from Newcastle University (I mean, Newcastle's a really good uni, both academically and socially, but it's not in the same league as UCL and all those unis!). :P
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest