The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Transferring to Manchester from MMU?

Will it be possible to transfer to University of Manchester from MMU? Basically, throughout my A Level years, I struggled and grades fluctuated from B's to E's. I had to resit my AS Levels and managed to get 3 B's for Maths, Chemistry and French. I didn't do well at all in my A Levels, got CCD for the same subjects. Plus everyone was saying Edexcel made the papers harder since they took out the January resits (which I agree).

A few months later, I got into an HND course for Business Management at MMU through Clearing. However, my family and I were wondering why I did so badly on my A Levels. In trying to find the causes, I went to see a psychiatrist. He told me I got a learning disorder and said that it could develop from an early age, but it would become more obvious as demands increases. This made sense to me, as I was doing ok for my first years of secondary school, but my performance declined as the years went by.

I have only done 1 piece of assessed work, a 96% on an accounting test. I know it's early days and I have lots more work yet to be assessed, but I think I will need at least a first to stand any chance of getting a transfer to a better University (e.g. Manchester, Sheffield, Kent). My A Levels were not representative of my potential and capabilities. I felt I was handicapped and restrained from getting the grades I could get. I'm going to phone other Universities now, but should I wait until Clearing to try my luck? How likely would it be for the transfer to be successful if I started from Year 1 again instead of Year 2?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jonyim94
Will it be possible to transfer to University of Manchester from MMU? Basically, throughout my A Level years, I struggled and grades fluctuated from B's to E's. I had to resit my AS Levels and managed to get 3 B's for Maths, Chemistry and French. I didn't do well at all in my A Levels, got CCD for the same subjects. Plus everyone was saying Edexcel made the papers harder since they took out the January resits (which I agree).

A few months later, I got into an HND course for Business Management at MMU through Clearing. However, my family and I were wondering why I did so badly on my A Levels. In trying to find the causes, I went to see a psychiatrist. He told me I got a learning disorder and said that it could develop from an early age, but it would become more obvious as demands increases. This made sense to me, as I was doing ok for my first years of secondary school, but my performance declined as the years went by.

I have only done 1 piece of assessed work, a 96% on an accounting test. I know it's early days and I have lots more work yet to be assessed, but I think I will need at least a first to stand any chance of getting a transfer to a better University (e.g. Manchester, Sheffield, Kent). My A Levels were not representative of my potential and capabilities. I felt I was handicapped and restrained from getting the grades I could get. I'm going to phone other Universities now, but should I wait until Clearing to try my luck? How likely would it be for the transfer to be successful if I started from Year 1 again instead of Year 2?

Hi, it's best to create a new thread instead of bumping an old one. We try to discourage bumping old threads for several reasons, and it's in your best interest to have your own thread anyway (as by posting in someone elses thread your post will get "lost", as people reply to older posts).

I've therefore created a new thread and moved it to the Manchester Unis subforum.

I have nothing to say except that admissions tutors will be the best people to get feedback from. Transferring universities is possible, generally speaking, but whether it's possible in your situation I cannot say.

Also, you say a psychiatrist diagnosed you with a learning difficulty? Do you mind telling me what kind of learning difficulty? Psychiatrists are medical doctors involved in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness. They aren't usually qualified to diagnose a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia. Unless you mean psychologist, as an educational psychologist can diagnose learning difficulties?

Either way, if you want to get further support, and perhaps use the learning difficulty as a mitigating circumstance, you may need a report from an Educational Psychologist.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by jonyim94

Your best bet will be to speak to the admissions tutors at Manchester. They're the only ones who can give you a definitive answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending