The Student Room Group

Revising for GCSE's

Hi i'm in year 11 and my GCSE's are coming up in May, i want to start revising now for them but i don't really know the best way.
So does anyone know an effective way to revise which has worked for you?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
I am in the same position of you and I start on the 12th of May.

Highlighting Revision Notes

Mindmaps

Pictures and Diagrams
Reply 2
Print out the exact syllabus/specification so you dont waste time revising stuff you dont know, and also so you dont miss out key points, every time you revise a new topic, print out some exam questions to test yourself, ask a family member or friend to mark it. Actively revise, dont just sit and read off a text book, for example for Economics i often engage in talks with my dad about whether the UK should be in the EU. Good luck, hope these help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by BossHollza
I am in the same position of you and I start on the 12th of May.

Highlighting Revision Notes

Mindmaps

Pictures and Diagrams

Yes i have science on the 12th.
Reply 4
Original post by gostek
Hi i'm in year 11 and my GCSE's are coming up in May, i want to start revising now for them but i don't really know the best way.
So does anyone know an effective way to revise which has worked for you?

Thanks in advance!

I did English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History and Spanish GCSEs so I'll give my two cents for those subjects only :biggrin:

For me, I found that different techniques worked for different subjects. For the three sciences, I printed out each syllabus and just went over and over the syllabus with highlighter every day until I memorized pretty much everything. I must confess I hardly revised for either English type, but when I did, I found simply practicing each technique for each question repetitively worked really well. The same goes for History - I also made a kind of "mini" guide to each historical event with three key points for each event. Maths is essentially trial and error. Do as many past papers as you can with Maths - identify your weak points and work on those in particular until you start getting more marks, if not full marks, on those difficult questions. I must also admit that I did not revise at all for Spanish other than a quick past paper session a few days before - don't do this, haha!

But honestly, past papers are the best. You can get past papers and their correspondent mark schemes on each exam board website and just typing in "past papers english literature aqa gcse" into Google. You could also ask your teacher to mark your past papers for the more discursive subjects.

Best of luck :smile:

EDIT: Oh, also, I found that putting up notes on my bedroom walls really helpful. That way, when you're getting dressed in the morning or whatever, you can quickly scour over key points and key elements!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by laylarose
I did English Lit, English Lang, Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, History and Spanish GCSEs so I'll give my two cents for those subjects only :biggrin:

For me, I found that different techniques worked for different subjects. For the three sciences, I printed out each syllabus and just went over and over the syllabus with highlighter every day until I memorized pretty much everything. I must confess I hardly revised for either English type, but when I did, I found simply practicing each technique for each question repetitively worked really well. The same goes for History - I also made a kind of "mini" guide to each historical event with three key points for each event. Maths is essentially trial and error. Do as many past papers as you can with Maths - identify your weak points and work on those in particular until you start getting more marks, if not full marks, on those difficult questions. I must also admit that I did not revise at all for Spanish other than a quick past paper session a few days before - don't do this, haha!

But honestly, past papers are the best. You can get past papers and their correspondent mark schemes on each exam board website and just typing in "past papers english literature aqa gcse" into Google. You could also ask your teacher to mark your past papers for the more discursive subjects.

Best of luck :smile:

EDIT: Oh, also, I found that putting up notes on my bedroom walls really helpful. That way, when you're getting dressed in the morning or whatever, you can quickly scour over key points and key elements!

Thanks for the advice!
Did you do the cold war and Britain for history?
Reply 6
Original post by gostek
Thanks for the advice!
Did you do the cold war and Britain for history?

I only did the Cold War, unfortunately. But truth be told, I can't remember any of it as I haven't been in school for over half a year haha!
Flash cards :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest