The Student Room Group

EPQ: Whether or not?

Scroll to see replies

An EPQ looks good on your uni applications, but is a pain in the a**.

Its the bibliography and the log book that annoyed me.
But I did mine in art and I was already doing two art subjects at the time, so 3 art subjects, I did manage to rotate well, but I forgot about the paper work, until the end.

But I do recommend it!

Highly regarded with uni's!!! :wink:
Reply 41
Original post by R Dragon
You're very very welcome xD

My question was "How much fluoride should British tap water contain?" It was based primarily on dentistry ans some hints of chemistry:biggrin:

Feel free to pm any questions :3

What was the structure of your project? Was it along the lines of introduction into fluoride in tap water, then benefits and problems, then a conclusion saying the amount you believe tap water should have? I’m not sure on how to structure my one, I’m doing mine on famous buildings/structures and the science principles that allow them to work. I was thinking of writing about multiple buildings/structures but I feel that won’t help in getting anywhere, but if I do one building/structure then I won’t have much to write about. Any help on how I should structure it?
Thanks for the help!:smile:

Original post by kcorbins
What was the structure of your project? Was it along the lines of introduction into fluoride in tap water, then benefits and problems, then a conclusion saying the amount you believe tap water should have? I’m not sure on how to structure my one, I’m doing mine on famous buildings/structures and the science principles that allow them to work. I was thinking of writing about multiple buildings/structures but I feel that won’t help in getting anywhere, but if I do one building/structure then I won’t have much to write about. Any help on how I should structure it?
Thanks for the help!:smile:

Hmm... my EPQ revolved around some issues and interesting things that some research around the world has shown and then my application of that knowledge to the UK.

For instance, a research paper conducted in Brazil found that malnutrition (or lack of Calcium ions) can influence children developing dental fluorosis (drawback of too much fluoride intake) but when you apply that to the UK, according to the NHS less than 3% of our children are malnutrition, so it wasn't a major factor in deciding the conc of fluoride in our tap waters.

But obviously I said that in much more detail and examined the theories explaining the effect of Ca2+ ions on children's developing enamel etc.

Before you decide on your title, I would suggest you make a MASSIVE list of questions that intrigue you (and are relevant to your uni course) and then discuss on the best one with your supervisor and modify it etc.

~after you're 100% sure on the title, make a similar list of sub-questions, and discuss them thoroughly with your supervisor again :smile: after you're happy with the questions, list them in some rough order (e.g. 1=introduction) etc. and start writing some rough drafts to get the hang of it :biggrin:

Sorry this is long
Reply 43
Original post by R Dragon
Hmm... my EPQ revolved around some issues and interesting things that some research around the world has shown and then my application of that knowledge to the UK.

For instance, a research paper conducted in Brazil found that malnutrition (or lack of Calcium ions) can influence children developing dental fluorosis (drawback of too much fluoride intake) but when you apply that to the UK, according to the NHS less than 3% of our children are malnutrition, so it wasn't a major factor in deciding the conc of fluoride in our tap waters.

But obviously I said that in much more detail and examined the theories explaining the effect of Ca2+ ions on children's developing enamel etc.

Before you decide on your title, I would suggest you make a MASSIVE list of questions that intrigue you (and are relevant to your uni course) and then discuss on the best one with your supervisor and modify it etc.

~after you're 100% sure on the title, make a similar list of sub-questions, and discuss them thoroughly with your supervisor again :smile: after you're happy with the questions, list them in some rough order (e.g. 1=introduction) etc. and start writing some rough drafts to get the hang of it :biggrin:

Sorry this is long

Thanks, is there any way you can email your EPQ to me? Just so that I know what to write and how to write it. It's ok if you don't want to or don't have it, it's just that I want to get an idea of how they should be written.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest