The Student Room Group

Is it better to have 4 A levels or 3 and an EPQ for Oxbridge medicine?

I'm currently taking all the sciences, maths and an EPQ on a medicine related topic but I am struggling to keep everything in balance since I do quite a lot of extracurriculars. I enjoy all my main a levels but not so much the EPQ, however I was told by my EPQ teacher that it might be considered more highly than the 4th Alevel (physics was what she was referring to). I really enjoy physics and always have so I would be heartbroken if I dropped it but at the same time I want to give myself the best chance to get in. I genuinely believe I could do well with the 4 a levels. I just want to know whether anyone knows which would be better for Oxbridge med?
Reply 1
Just for a bit more information, my EPQ teacher said that because I'm doing 4 'hard' subjects, universities might look at my options less favourably than if I were doing 3 and the EPQ which would substitute for a 'soft' subject. She justified it by saying that there is a lot of dissertation writing in university, however, I would've thought, since medicine is highly science-based, that that wouldn't matter as much.
Original post by DedBread
I'm currently taking all the sciences, maths and an EPQ on a medicine related topic but I am struggling to keep everything in balance since I do quite a lot of extracurriculars. I enjoy all my main a levels but not so much the EPQ, however I was told by my EPQ teacher that it might be considered more highly than the 4th Alevel (physics was what she was referring to). I really enjoy physics and always have so I would be heartbroken if I dropped it but at the same time I want to give myself the best chance to get in. I genuinely believe I could do well with the 4 a levels. I just want to know whether anyone knows which would be better for Oxbridge med?

Id double check to see if it says anything on unis websites. But as long as you have the 3 required a-level grades and the extra curriculars, surely it shouldnt matter what you do as your 4th (i.e. the 4th a-level or the epq).
Id choose whichever you think you will do best in. If you think you will do better in the a-level then the epq, then id go for that.

Quick Reply

Latest