The Student Room Group

Is doing an EPQ worth it??? (help)

I'm starting A Levels this year (bio, chem, psych) trying to work towards medicine. Keeping this in mind, I know I'll have a lot of extra work ie: work experience, UCAT, etc. so I'm wondering whether an EPQ would be worth my time? My GCSE grades could've been better so I need my UCAT and A Level grades to be very strong which is why I'm worried doing an EPQ will hinder my progress. However, I also really enjoy researching topics I'm interested in and wonder whether my EPQ topic (it would be related to medicine) could potentially be a good conversation starter at a possible uni interview?
If anyone has any thoughts on what I should do please let me know :frown:
Original post by wavetovenus
I'm starting A Levels this year (bio, chem, psych) trying to work towards medicine. Keeping this in mind, I know I'll have a lot of extra work ie: work experience, UCAT, etc. so I'm wondering whether an EPQ would be worth my time? My GCSE grades could've been better so I need my UCAT and A Level grades to be very strong which is why I'm worried doing an EPQ will hinder my progress. However, I also really enjoy researching topics I'm interested in and wonder whether my EPQ topic (it would be related to medicine) could potentially be a good conversation starter at a possible uni interview?

I haven't got my results yet, but I would say EPQ is a good idea as, if you do well, it can lower your required grades to get into courses. Don't get me wrong it is time consuming, but I'm the type of person who crams a lot into not much time, so (although it was a long process) it was a week of so of HELL getting it finished but afterwards I completely forgot about it. Martin Blythe on Youtube is super useful for help with the documentation as well. Good luck :smile:

dude no way i'm in the exact same position as you i'm even starting the same a levels LMAO

Hey I am an incoming medical student at QMUL. I took maths, bio, chem, and the EPQ and I would say that doing the EPQ was worth it (for my school it was compulsory). Having an EPQ to talk about (I did mine on medicine and got a perfect score) during interviews was truly useful. It highlights your interest in the field and shows your willingness to take on self-learning. Doing research for my EPQ has also helped me to better understand current issues in medicine and what steps are being taken to tackle such issues. With my chosen topic, I proceeded to explore topics such as ethics, the organ shortage issue, medical tech, resources etc. You can also add this to your personal statement. Believe it or not I initially viewed the EPQ as a chore having to study for both the UCAT and BMAT, not to mention the added pressure of predicted grades. However, the great thing about doing it was that it made me more organized and productive in the long run. I decided to dedicate 15 minutes everyday on the EPQ and looked at it as interview prep (at least for the research bit). When I was shadowing at the hospital, my EPQ research was something the doctors took a particular interest in. They even answered some of the questions I had and advised me on how I should go about formatting the essay. I noted this in my EPQ and also during interviews and I do believe this might have aided me in some way. The EPQ also turned out to be one relaxing piece of work I could turn to whenever I felt the pressure starting to get to me. It became a passion project that motivated me to keep going in school and persevere through the UCAT and BMAT. Another way in which I have talked about the EPQ during interviews was when I was asked about a school's learning style. At one point I talked about PBL and mentioned how from the EPQ I have learnt that such a style of learning would suit me (as PBL includes self-learning and organization + research). Having said this, the EPQ did take a big chunk of my time during the summer of year 12. With work experience, writing my personal statement, UCAT revision, and writing the first draft of my essay, it was certainly no easy task. With this I encourage you to do what you think is best for you. Always prioritize your well-being and mental health as nothing is more important. Hope this helps and good luck!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending