The Student Room Group

In elementary school all meat options are replaced by halal

In a school where only 20% are muslims, the remaining 80% have to adapt to the preference of the minority. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if there was at least a choise.. There seems to be a trend in the UK that halal is more and more forced upon the population.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575724/Parents-fury-pork-sausages-banned-school-menu-replaced-halal-meat.html

Scroll to see replies

Original post by demx9
In a school where only 20% are muslims, the remaining 80% have to adapt to the preference of the minority. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if there was at least a choise.. There seems to be a trend in the UK that halal is more and more forced upon the population.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2575724/Parents-fury-pork-sausages-banned-school-menu-replaced-halal-meat.html

I really don't understand why people are making such a fuss. I agree that it does sound a little bit unreasonable but come on... if not having any pork at school is your biggest problem, I'd say you've got a pretty good life. It's not going to have any kind of an impact on anyone else and it will make the muslim children a bit more comfortable. I really don't think it's a huge deal.
(edited 10 years ago)
So what? Some kids have to live without pork or bacon at school. Is that really that much of a struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What about Muslim majority schools where there is no halal?
Reply 4
I agree there should be a choice, however, I don't see it being a problem unless you had a problem with the method of slaughter :dontknow:
Reply 5
Original post by Joaqueem
I agree there should be a choice, however, I don't see it being a problem unless you had a problem with the method of slaughter :dontknow:

That's the whole point.
Original post by demx9

If the aim of the government is to make the country healthier then halal meat is a healthier than meat that is slaughtered in a commercial way.
(edited 10 years ago)
Absolutely ridiculous. Non Muslims should have the choice whether to eat halal meat or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
It's not a big deal. If you can eat one dead animal, you can eat a dead pig I guess :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dat spice doe :sexface:

Being serious, it's not right you could object to Halal slaughter on ethical grounds
Original post by AsianPersuasion.
If the aim of the government is to make the country healthier then halal meat is a healthier than meat that is slaughtered in a commercial way.

Absolute and complete nonsense :facepalm:
Reply 11
Original post by AsianPersuasion.

links or GTFO
Let's be honest, it's not an issue at all really.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What about Muslim majority schools where there is no halal?
There should just be an option for both although living in a traditionally non-Muslim nation such as the England would mean that non-halal would take preference.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by De Mortimer
Let's be honest, it's not an issue at all really.

you don't have a clue
Original post by Chlorophile
I really don't understand why people are making such a fuss. I agree that it does sound a little bit unreasonable but come on... if not having any pork at school is your biggest problem, I'd say you've got a pretty good life. It's not going to have any kind of an impact on anyone else and it will make the muslim children a bit more comfortable. I really don't think it's a huge deal.

Original post by majmuh24
So what? Some kids have to live without pork or bacon at school. Is that really that much of a struggle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's more to it than just not having pork or bacon at school. Some people have ethical objections to the method of slaughter (this isn't a matter of bigotry - even the British Veterinary Association says it's cruel on scientific grounds). Furthermore, some people have religious prohibitions on eating halal meat - for instance, Sikhs (and to a lesser extent Hindus) are forbidden from eating halal and kosher meat.

The remaining 80% should at least be given a choice as to whether or not to eat halal meat - either that or the minority can opt for the vegetarian option.
I do not know why Halal slaughter is even allowed at all.
Reply 17
Original post by majmuh24

Posted from TSR Mobile

The point is, they shouldn't have to go without pork or bacon because other people ( the minority) believe in something different.
Original post by Origami Bullets
There's more to it than just not having pork or bacon at school. Some people have ethical objections to the method of slaughter (this isn't a matter of bigotry - even the British Veterinary Association says it's cruel on scientific grounds). Furthermore, some people have religious prohibitions on eating halal meat - for instance, Sikhs (and to a lesser extent Hindus) are forbidden from eating halal and kosher meat.

The remaining 80% should at least be given a choice as to whether or not to eat halal meat - either that or the minority can opt for the vegetarian option.

Your point is actually very valid and I accept that. However, most of the opposition to the decision of the school seems to be less on ethical grounds and more as another excuse to claim that Islam is taking over the UK.
Original post by Chlorophile

What if 5% of the school are vegetarian? Should the school meals all be vegetarian to cater for them and all other students just have to accept it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending