The Student Room Group

Best Universities For Film Production??

Does anyone know what the best universities/colleges/schools are for film and tv production? Not only for quality of teaching and resources but ones that have really good contacts in the film industry and have good opportunities. P
Preferably ones that have international contacts too,
Not being too picky or anything haha
Reply 1
Original post by Nicola_Bennell
Does anyone know what the best universities/colleges/schools are for film and tv production? Not only for quality of teaching and resources but ones that have really good contacts in the film industry and have good opportunities. P
Preferably ones that have international contacts too,
Not being too picky or anything haha

Hi

From my research, here is what I would recommend:

Arts University Bournemouth - I did withdraw from this university, but that is because I preferred Television Production at Bournemouth University which I already had an offer for. It has a reputation for being the best film course in the UK.

University of Westminster - I didn't apply for this university, but it has an excellent reputation for film. Being in London equals a ton of opportunities.

Bournemouth University - I have a firm offer for Television Production here, and also Film Production & Cinematography based at Wiltshire College. Both courses offer compulsory work experience of 4 weeks, or you can take the optional 40 week placement.

Ravensbourne - Has an outstanding employment rate. I was rejected after interview, but I didn't really like the place. Too snobby for my liking.

Others to consider (I have only seen reviews for these universities)
University of Central Lancashire
University of South Wales (Newport)

AVOID

University of Hertfordshire - probably the worst university I have ever visited. Tutors could only boast about their own achievements, student work was A-Level standard, no tour around the facilities with no course students in sight. Open day was also a disaster in terms of organisation.

University of Salford - Based at MediaCityUK, you would think this is the best place to be. WRONG! Students didn't have a clue about the course they are enrolled on, and there are no official links with BBC/ITV etc. I have spoken to people who have been at this university, and they found it useless and overrated as well.

University of Lincoln - I applied here, but only as a back up. They might as well just be advertisers for Birmingham and Bournemouth, as students and staff could only really talk about how fantastic these universities are. I found it weird that they were unable to sell their own courses.
I had interviews for all five of my universities:

Leeds Met
Gloucestershire
Bournemouth Arts
Westminster
UCLan

I didn't go to UCLan, but Gloucestershire was lovely and wad my third choice, they do alot of practical and get really good guest speakers in, and have okay equipment and really passionate staff. Leeds Met was my fourth choice - the location was great but thr campus wasnt great. Bournemouth Arts is very hard to get into due to their reputation but its sooo nice - their facilities and teachers are one of the best out there. Only downside is they have no student union (although you can use BU's) and the accommodation. My 1st choice, Westminster is incredible, they have incredible facilities, a really great creative campus which has a really nice feel and because their in London they have really good connections and work experience, I also liked that they do some theory as well, which I love. I got into all 5 surprisingly and put AUB as my insurance choice, and put Westminster as firm choice - but I recommend all of them. If you need any more info just PM me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending