The Student Room Group

Scottish referendum (EU students)

Hi there!

What will happen if Scottish referendum passes?
Will EU students have to pay fees or will they still receive support from SAAS?
Are you afraid of the possible consequences?
Reply 1
If scotland gets independence and is allowed to stay in the EU then it will remain the same situation for EU students. If we were chucked out of the EU (This is definitely bad for Scotland) then EU students would become internationals and pay ridiculous fees.
Reply 2
Original post by qno2
If scotland gets independence and is allowed to stay in the EU then it will remain the same situation for EU students. If we were chucked out of the EU (This is definitely bad for Scotland) then EU students would become internationals and pay ridiculous fees.

But if this happens we would have to wait a few years, isn't it?
(edited 9 years ago)
If there is a `yes` vote then the target date is March 2016 so it wouldn`t happen overnight. Personally I think it would actually be well beyond that.

The problem is no-one really knows whats going to happen. All the attention is being placed on the referendum itself and very little on actual concrete details on how things would work in the case of independence. As the poster above mentioned a lot depends on whether an independent Scotland would be in or out of the EU which could easily go either way.
Reply 4
Original post by Lumberjack 101
If there is a `yes` vote then the target date is March 2016 so it wouldn`t happen overnight. Personally I think it would actually be well beyond that.

The problem is no-one really knows whats going to happen. All the attention is being placed on the referendum itself and very little on actual concrete details on how things would work in the case of independence. As the poster above mentioned a lot depends on whether an independent Scotland would be in or out of the EU which could easily go either way.

If I start my course this September and the Scottish referendum changes the fees support rules, would I pay fees or would I still receive support?
Original post by Mr Ruf
If I start my course this September and the Scottish referendum changes the fees support rules, would I pay fees or would I still receive support?

I really don`t know. You would need to ask the SAAS, but independence wouldn`t happen for a few years so the chances are you would have graduated before the rules change anyway.
Original post by Mr Ruf
Hi there!

What will happen if Scottish referendum passes?
Will EU students have to pay fees or will they still receive support from SAAS?
Are you afraid of the possible consequences?

Hi there, did you ever approach SAAS about this in the end? We are also EU and looking at Scottish units so have the same concern.

Thanks
I think they won't force international fees on any EU student who matriculated. The reality is, nothing will change until 2016 at the very earliest and even then it will likely be sometime after 2016 and they will exempt those who are already matriculated.

They never retroactively punish anyone, its probably part of the law or something.
Reply 8
The bigger question is whether an independent Scotland could still afford offering university education for free to Scottish students (obviously the rest of the UK can't) - if tuition fees would be introduced for Scots, the same would apply to EU applicants.

Quick Reply

Latest