The Student Room Group

What funding am I eligible for? Foundation course student

I’m starting a full-time foundation course in September in London. I’m a Scottish National (has a British passport) but have not been living in the UK for the past 3 years and I’m not sure what funding I’m eligible for. Any help appreciated pls
Reply 1
You will be able to get tuition and maintenance loans from SFE no issue. You can get up to 4 years of undergraduate loans, so you can get for the whole course length as a foundation course BA/BSc.
Original post by Fmaya
I’m starting a full-time foundation course in September in London. I’m a Scottish National (has a British passport) but have not been living in the UK for the past 3 years and I’m not sure what funding I’m eligible for. Any help appreciated pls

The above post is incorrect as you would apply to SAAS. Were you living in the EU or elsewhere? Were you living with both parents overseas or did one of them remain in Scotland? Where are you considered to be ordinarily resident?
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by cos123
You will be able to get tuition and maintenance loans from SFE no issue. You can get up to 4 years of undergraduate loans, so you can get for the whole course length as a foundation course BA/BSc.

This is incorrect. The OP is Scottish so, if eligible for any support, would apply to SAAS not SFE.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
The above post is incorrect as you would apply to SAAS. Were you living in the EU or elsewhere? Were you living with both parents overseas or did one of them remain in Scotland? Where are you considered to be ordinarily resident?

Yes I figured thank you. We were in the EU and with both parents in the EU too. I would probably be considered to be a resident of the EU rather than Scotland at the moment so it’s not looking too promising
Original post by Fmaya
Yes I figured thank you. We were in the EU and with both parents in the EU too. I would probably be considered to be a resident of the EU rather than Scotland at the moment so it’s not looking too promising

How much time did you live in the EU and how much time in Scotland prior to leaving, and when did you return to Scotland?
Reply 6
Original post by normaw
How much time did you live in the EU and how much time in Scotland prior to leaving, and when did you return to Scotland?

It was 4 years ago and I’m just returning now, I completed my secondary school and sixth for education in the EU.
Original post by Fmaya
It was 4 years ago and I’m just returning now, I completed my secondary school and sixth for education in the EU.

I think you could be eligible for funding based on the following from the SAAS website:

UK returners mean UK nationals and their family members who lived in Scotland before living elsewhere in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, who have returned to the UK.

To be eligible for full support to study a course of higher education in the UK, you must meet all the following conditions:

prior to living elsewhere in the EU, EEA or Switzerland you were a UK national or person with settled status in the UK or the family member (see section 9 for more information) of a UK national

you were settled* in the UK and ordinarily resident in Scotland for at least 3 years immediately prior to leaving the UK

you have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Islands, Gibraltar or EEA/Switzerland during the 3 years immediately prior to the relevant date

you are settled in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act and you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the relevant date.

Source: https://www.saas.gov.uk/guides/residence-conditions-for-uk-nationals

Contact SAAS to confirm.
Reply 8
Original post by normaw
I think you could be eligible for funding based on the following from the SAAS website:

UK returners mean UK nationals and their family members who lived in Scotland before living elsewhere in the EU, EEA or Switzerland, who have returned to the UK.

To be eligible for full support to study a course of higher education in the UK, you must meet all the following conditions:

prior to living elsewhere in the EU, EEA or Switzerland you were a UK national or person with settled status in the UK or the family member (see section 9 for more information) of a UK national

you were settled* in the UK and ordinarily resident in Scotland for at least 3 years immediately prior to leaving the UK

you have been ordinarily resident in the UK, Islands, Gibraltar or EEA/Switzerland during the 3 years immediately prior to the relevant date

you are settled in the UK within the meaning of the Immigration Act and you are ordinarily resident in the UK on the relevant date.

Source: https://www.saas.gov.uk/guides/residence-conditions-for-uk-nationals

Contact SAAS to confirm.

Thank you so much for your help I’ll check it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending