The Student Room Group

My gf doesnt want me at her freshers week.

Scroll to see replies

I agree with her tbh, she needs to do it alone and properly.

If she clinging on to you shes not gonna make friends
I think you're being selfish. Let her go and have fun. If you go you'll hold her back.
Reply 22
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Possessive much? Just leave her alone.

Whao, easy there! Guide young bambi into the light, rather than be blunt and rude about it!

OP - let her breath. You don't want her to resent you for keeping away from these life experiences, do you? Might be a little tough if you're worried about trust, but for it to work you have to demonstrate you understand what uni means to her.
Reply 23
Sorry OP, but your girlfriend is right. She needs space to meet people, get settled in, and get into a new routine. If you are hanging around you will disrupt her ability to do that and probably prolong her inevitable homesickness. I suggest you wave her off with your very best wishes, and wait at least a fortnight before you visit for the first time.

You need to trust her. Despite the cynics above, many many relationships are absolutely fine through freshers week and if your relationship is strong (and you don't jeopardise it by trying to control her), yours will be too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by ChelseaFCCC
Right, my gf is about to go uni in Sept, and she doesnt want me to come to her freshers week because she wants to make friends etc and ill be just in the way.

Im trying to make a point and i will show this thread to her. I think its unfair, what do you think?

How is it unfair? It's her fresher week to meet new friends at uni, not yours. You need to let her settle in and make friends then you can meet them and visit her after a week or two. It's not normal to have your boyfriend to go to freshers with you.
Original post by AdampskiB
Whao, easy there! Guide young bambi into the light, rather than be blunt and rude about it!

If my boyfriend asked me to go to my fresher's week when I start a new course at Cardiff in 2015 I'd tell him exactly the same thing. Who wants their boyfriend/girlfriend around in a week that is kind of pivotal to making new friends at university. I certainly wouldn't. He should respect his girlfriend's wishes instead of trying to get her to change her mind.
Reply 26
she really wont be able to make friends otherwise... if you go with someone you know you wont make the effort to man up and talk to strangers. if you're worried about it being a huge sex orgy week, its really not, thats so overrated...
Reply 27
If my boyfriend asked me to go to my fresher's week when I start a new course at Cardiff in 2015 I'd tell him exactly the same thing. Who wants their boyfriend/girlfriend around in a week that is kind of pivotal to making new friends at university. I certainly wouldn't. He should respect his girlfriend's wishes instead of trying to get her to change her mind.

Nice of us to tell you what uni you're going to, and the date you're going :yes: Really relevant to the discussion! You're thinking a little like a sheep too, though I tend to agree.

Here's a cartoon sheep to help illustrate the point. :sheep:

ps. the guy you responded to wasn't being serious :smile:
Reply 28
Don't think OP is going to show her the thread after all. (;
Original post by samba
Nice of us to tell you what uni you're going to, and the date you're going :yes: Really relevant to the discussion! You're thinking a little like a sheep too, though I tend to agree.

Here's a cartoon sheep to help illustrate the point. :sheep:

ps. the guy you responded to wasn't being serious :smile:

I like to pad out my paragraphs to add character of course. And if I were thinking like someone else I just wouldn't give an opinion. I think my own thoughts and have my own opinions. Sometimes they match others, sometimes they don't.

I'm Welsh. I know what a sheep is.

He seemed serious to me, but I tend to get things wrong.
Why are you so worried? Let her enjoy her freshers dude!
Reply 31
It's her fresher's week. She needs to make friends and have fun, you don't.
OP - what are your reasons for wanting to go with her?

I don't want to sound rude, truly I don't, but your post makes you appear to be clingy and needy. Are there trust issues in your relationship? Have you been together long? You need to be able to enjoy the time you have apart in equal measure to the time you have together to have a healthy relationship and one that will be a "forever" relationship should that be what you're striving to have.

Speaking as a woman who has been married for 8 years I love when my husband is away for a couple of weeks just as much as I love having him home and we trust each other entirely because neither of us have given reason to the other not to. Respect her to attend freshers week freely and she'll appreciate you all the more for it.
Reply 33
Original post by awe
Don't think OP is going to show her the thread after all. (;
no i wont :/
Reply 34
It would be slightly unfair for you to be there, yes 99% of the people you meet in fresher's week will be the last time you see them (other than a high when you walk past them) but its also a good time to get to know the other 1% of people that you will see again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChelseaFCCC
no i wont :/

If I were her and you came I would dump you
Reply 36

See, explaining your point wasn't difficult, was it?
Reply 37
Don't worry there will be lots of attractive young males there for her instead.
(edited 10 years ago)
I like to pad out my paragraphs to add character of course. And if I were thinking like someone else I just wouldn't give an opinion. I think my own thoughts and have my own opinions. Sometimes they match others, sometimes they don't.

I'm Welsh. I know what a sheep is.

He seemed serious to me, but I tend to get things wrong.

But telling us which uni you're going and when was really unecessary!
Original post by AdampskiB
See, explaining your point wasn't difficult, was it?

Some points are so obvious they don't need explaining.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending