The Student Room Group

If you know someone is scared of dogs should you put dog on a lead when around them

I am not scared of dogs and have owned one in the past. I have a friends who is pretty scared of dogs. Not overly so but feels very incomfortable around them.
When she came to visit me I would always put the dog in the garden or a spare room or on his lead if none of the other options were possible.
However whenever I have been out Witt her to visit mutual friends who have dogs they have had heir dog running around her and even when she has expressed that she is scared of dogs and clearly looks uncomfortable the owners never put the dog in another room or on a lead.
If the dog jumps in her they tell it to get down but that as far as it goes.
Today i was looking forward to a drink in the sun but our mutual friend brought her dog and my other friend was so on edge she couldn't enjoy herself. I really felt like saying can you not just out her in the house while we are here but my friend asked me not to as she thought it was rude.
Being scared of dogs is not an irrational fear and so surely people should understand and put their dogs somewhere else?
What would you do in this situation if you had a dog/ have a dog.
Is this normal etiquette or are my friends just rude!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mezza362
I am not scared of dogs and have owned one in the past. I have a friends who is pretty scared of dogs. Not overly so but feels very incomfortable around them.
When she came to visit me I would always put the dog in the garden or a spare room or on his lead if none of the other options were possible.
However whenever I have been out Witt her to visit mutual friends who have dogs they have had heir dog running around her and even when she has expressed that she is scared of dogs and clearly looks uncomfortable the owners never put the dog in another room or on a lead.
If the dog jumps in her they tell it to get down but that as far as it goes.
Today i was looking forward to a drink in the sun but our mutual friend brought her dog and my other friend was so on edge she couldn't enjoy herself. I really felt like saying can you not just out her in the house while we are here but my friend asked me not to as she thought it was rude.
Being scared of dogs is not an irrational fear and so surely people should understand and put their dogs somewhere else?
What would you do in this situation if you had a dog/ have a dog.
Is this normal etiquette or are my friends just rude!

We have a dog and although he's a complete sweetheart, we would probably put him in the garden.

In all honesty, though, I was scared of dogs until we got ours!
Reply 2
Really depends on the people you ask. For example, I would never put my dog outside because someone was in my house. This is the dogs home as much as it is mine and if you are uncomfortable with my dog, you don't have to come into our home. It rather annoys me when people put their dogs outside. You are effectively preventing your dog from investigating a stranger entering your home.
Reply 3
I was the same. I think because owners know their dog is gentle they know she has nothing to fear. But it doesn't work like that.
Reply 4
I kinda have a problem with people putting the feeling of a dog before a human beings! If a human being is scared of your dog then I don't think it matters if the dog isn't as keen on being put in a different room/outside. Just my view and asked this question to see if it's the norm.
Sorry I'm a bit annoyed that my afternoon was ruined! Bare with me! Lol
Reply 5
When my family used to have a dog; in that situation we'd put him in another room or outside. Slightly off topic but when my cousin was younger my mum used to mind her quite a bit and when the dog would come into the room she'd bellow: "GET THAT DOG AWAY FROM THE BABY!!!" even though she'd either be in a playpen or sitting on someone's knee which would cause her to cry. She's 11 now and is scared of dogs, I reckon that might be the reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think if you KNOW that your dog is not a risk and nothing to be scared of, then I perhaps wouldn't automatically put them into another room. Keeping them on a lead is sensible perhaps... but the best way to overcome a fear like this is exposure.

I used to be scared of dogs to the extent that if I saw a dog coming down the pavement towards me I would go as far as possible to the other side as possible... sometimes on to the grass verge and it was being at friends houses with dogs around that stopped me from being scared of their dogs, which made me less anxious around dogs generally.
(edited 10 years ago)
I'm scared of dogs so I don't go round people's houses that have them. Simple. It's my fear, so it's my job to limit the time I spend anywhere near a dog.
Reply 8
Original post by TheMagicRat
I'm scared of dogs so I don't go round people's houses that have them. Simple. It's my fear, so it's my job to limit the time I spend anywhere near a dog.

^^ This.
If you (the general you, not you specifically OP) know someone is afraid of dogs and you put them in the presence of a dog off its leash you're probably an *******. As someone who used to be afraid of dogs, no, I don't care how gentle and lovely you think it is, take it away. If it's somewhere public, put a leash on it. If it's a house or wherever then put it outside/in another room, or don't expect your dog-phobic friend to come round.
Reply 10
Depends. I have a friend who is afraid of dogs and I wouldn't take my dogs with me when I meet her. Because I have dogs I don't invite her round to mine, but if she came without invitation (which she does every once in a while) my dogs are staying where they are.
I've had a few experiences with stranger's dogs trying to get me or jump at me, even dogs on leads make me nervous (I prefer chain leads but many have cheap leather leads on big busty dogs, argh!). Dogs I have met and know I'm not too bad with however jumpy dogs should be put in another room and the guests wishes should be taken into account, I feel both dog and cat owners (me being a cat owner) should ask a new guest about their preferences and they should be respected :smile:
I'm scared of dogs.

I hate it when I'm out in public, minding my own business, and a dog that's off its lead comes over to me and starts sniffing/chasing me on my bike/whatever. I flinch and start to move away from the dog, clearly looking uncomfortable, and all the owner does is calls out "it's okay" She won't hurt you!"

Sure, she might not have ever hurt anyone before, but that doesn't mean she can't in future... and anyway, I'm clearly afraid of her! Why don't you keep your bloody dog on a lead! :mad:
Original post by snowyowl
I'm scared of dogs.

I hate it when I'm out in public, minding my own business, and a dog that's off its lead comes over to me and starts sniffing/chasing me on my bike/whatever. I flinch and start to move away from the dog, clearly looking uncomfortable, and all the owner does is calls out "it's okay" She won't hurt you!"

Sure, she might not have ever hurt anyone before, but that doesn't mean she can't in future... and anyway, I'm clearly afraid of her! Why don't you keep your bloody dog on a lead! :mad:

AH that reminds me: http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/girl-suffers-bad-injuries-in-mauling-by-dog-1-115662

A girl from my school, we were both in primary school when it happened and she was so lucky. The dog was a nice one but the moment she got a little too close it just attacked her. I guess it's just the potential of a dog attack, there has been so many killed by dogs and it's just a natural fear like a fear of heights or the dark. I don't understand why people are mad about other's fears because many are very justified! :rolleyes:
Original post by idontevenbeth
AH that reminds me: http://www.lep.co.uk/news/local/girl-suffers-bad-injuries-in-mauling-by-dog-1-115662

A girl from my school, we were both in primary school when it happened and she was so lucky. The dog was a nice one but the moment she got a little too close it just attacked her. I guess it's just the potential of a dog attack, there has been so many killed by dogs and it's just a natural fear like a fear of heights or the dark. I don't understand why people are mad about other's fears because many are very justified! :rolleyes:

I don't understand why people are comfortable around dogs, which can and do seriously wound people, and yet they're terrified of spiders, a harmless creature (in this country) that won't do more than make a web in the corner of your room :dontknow:
Reply 15
Dogs should always be on leads, unless they are so calm that they won't go up to people and start sniffing them, barking at them and invading their personal space. Frankly anyone who doesn't keep an uncontrollable dog on a lead deserves to be loaded into a bus and driven off a cliff.
Original post by snowyowl
I don't understand why people are comfortable around dogs, which can and do seriously wound people, and yet they're terrified of spiders, a harmless creature (in this country) that won't do more than make a web in the corner of your room :dontknow:

Spiders are cute and fuzzy! Dogs are hairy and growly! :wink:
Original post by idontevenbeth
Spiders are cute and fuzzy! Dogs are hairy and growly! :wink:

Exactly :h:
Original post by Bassetts
Dogs should always be on leads, unless they are so calm that they won't go up to people and start sniffing them, barking at them and invading their personal space. Frankly anyone who doesn't keep an uncontrollable dog on a lead deserves to be loaded into a bus and driven off a cliff.

I find your first sentence pretty funny because my dog currently has a grand total of zero leads.

A dog should be allowed to sniff someone that comes into their home, just to say hello basically, after that any unwelcome attention is not good. My experience with my dogs is as follows: Someone knocks on the door and sometimes they bark, when the person is let in they generally come and see who it is once they are actually inside, then they go back to whatever they were doing before.

If your dog is uncontrollable then there is only you to blame, being a responsible owner is not that hard but in my experience people are too willing to let their dogs get away with certain things which then annoy and intimidate other people.

That said, if you come to my house and expect me to kick my dog out of the house just to pander to your irrationality... well you wont be staying very long.
If it's a friend then I would put my dog in the garden. My dog can be a bit intimidating (big and barks a lot but is clumsy and soft) so I appreciate that someone may not want a huge dog to come bounding over barking at them for a lick.

However once I was walking my dog on a long lead and some guy came over to me and said 'Can you walk over there as my friend is really scared of dogs'. I thought that was very rude. I already had the dog locked on a short lead and was the other side of a wide path. To ask me to walk on the grass just because someone is scared is a bit excessive. If she was that scared she should have a) stopped and looked away until I had passed or b) not gone for a walk where there are lots of dogs.

Quick Reply

Latest