The Student Room Group

Assistance Dog at Uni

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with different universities with assistance dogs. I'm planning on bringing my assistance dog when I go to uni and I have looked at some of the policies different unis have. He is not currently registered as with a charity part of the ADUK (As by law he doesn't need to be) however I do plan to register him with one closer to the time, once I am satisfied with his training.

If anyone could share their experiences with different universities in the UK, and how accommodating you found them, that would be great!

TYIA!
I’m sorry I know this isn’t what you asked but I’ve got ADHD and literally nothing has helped me more than my dogs. But they’re at home and I’m an international student. What’s your experience been like having a dog for ADHD? I worry bc my executive dysfunction is awful (as is my fatigue and overwhelm) so I worry about whether I’d really be able to handle the responsibility if I can’t even take care of myself. But at the same time nothing motivates me more than looking after someone/something that specifically isn’t me. What’s your experience been? Do you have any help/support with looking after your dog?
Reply 2
Original post by SashaMerlin96
I’m sorry I know this isn’t what you asked but I’ve got ADHD and literally nothing has helped me more than my dogs. But they’re at home and I’m an international student. What’s your experience been like having a dog for ADHD? I worry bc my executive dysfunction is awful (as is my fatigue and overwhelm) so I worry about whether I’d really be able to handle the responsibility if I can’t even take care of myself. But at the same time nothing motivates me more than looking after someone/something that specifically isn’t me. What’s your experience been? Do you have any help/support with looking after your dog?

Hi, I have both ADHD and Autism so my brain is a general mess of conflicting messages/desires. I originally got a dog for my autism and he will be trained specifically to do tasks to help mitigate the issues/negative effects of my autism. However, he has also helped my ADHD too, especially with executive function and inability to transition between tasks, becoming 'stuck'. For example, he wakes me up in the morning in a way that actually successfully gets me up, but without causing overstimulation or anger. At the moment I live at home with my parents which is helpful as if I really need it, they are there to help, mainly my mum. We have two family dogs who my mum mostly looks after as well as myself, so frequently my dog gets fed by my mum instead of me. Having said that, I do most of the looking after him myself. It is very rare that anyone except myself takes him out (for example right now I am away for a few days, but I did get up and take him out the morning of the day I left, though I could just have easily not had the motivation to do so and he would have been just fine.) and when I'm ill he simply doesn't go out. I think the most important thing is having the dog used to sitting around and 'doing nothing', i.e. sleeping/playing with a toy as it's less stressful for them when they inevitably have to. If you're struggling to look after yourself, depending on the extent, it will probably be quite difficult to look after a dog too, and that can come with a lot of guilt even if you're looking after them just fine. As you say though, it can be a lot easier to look after another animal than yourself (motivation wise). Is there a possibility you can give it a go for a short period of time, maybe even when you're home and just try out being solely responsible, so that if it was too hard you had someone there to take over? I think it's worth a try because they can be so helpful. Would you get a dog trained specifically for your needs? Which could include having a temperament that was easier to handle. There are also many ways to make caring for them easier, such as meal preping their food and having mental stimulation games ready. So long as on the days you had more motivation you took them out and gave them more stimulation, having an inconsistent life that isn't always following a routine isn't terrible so long as it's balanced well enough, even if that balance happens over a month rather than a day/week. It is hard though, I won't downplay that, it's a lot of motivation. Sorry this is so long, I hope it's helpful in some way.
Original post by TallyPan

Hi, I have both ADHD and Autism so my brain is a general mess of conflicting messages/desires. I originally got a dog for my autism and he will be trained specifically to do tasks to help mitigate the issues/negative effects of my autism. However, he has also helped my ADHD too, especially with executive function and inability to transition between tasks, becoming 'stuck'. For example, he wakes me up in the morning in a way that actually successfully gets me up, but without causing overstimulation or anger. At the moment I live at home with my parents which is helpful as if I really need it, they are there to help, mainly my mum. We have two family dogs who my mum mostly looks after as well as myself, so frequently my dog gets fed by my mum instead of me. Having said that, I do most of the looking after him myself. It is very rare that anyone except myself takes him out (for example right now I am away for a few days, but I did get up and take him out the morning of the day I left, though I could just have easily not had the motivation to do so and he would have been just fine.) and when I'm ill he simply doesn't go out. I think the most important thing is having the dog used to sitting around and 'doing nothing', i.e. sleeping/playing with a toy as it's less stressful for them when they inevitably have to. If you're struggling to look after yourself, depending on the extent, it will probably be quite difficult to look after a dog too, and that can come with a lot of guilt even if you're looking after them just fine. As you say though, it can be a lot easier to look after another animal than yourself (motivation wise). Is there a possibility you can give it a go for a short period of time, maybe even when you're home and just try out being solely responsible, so that if it was too hard you had someone there to take over? I think it's worth a try because they can be so helpful. Would you get a dog trained specifically for your needs? Which could include having a temperament that was easier to handle. There are also many ways to make caring for them easier, such as meal preping their food and having mental stimulation games ready. So long as on the days you had more motivation you took them out and gave them more stimulation, having an inconsistent life that isn't always following a routine isn't terrible so long as it's balanced well enough, even if that balance happens over a month rather than a day/week. It is hard though, I won't downplay that, it's a lot of motivation. Sorry this is so long, I hope it's helpful in some way.

That’s honestly such a helpful response. Thanks. I’m an international student, that’s kind of the problem so like it would be wholly independent. When I’m at home I’m essentially off school so it’s so different.. tbf I haven’t even talked to anyone about this so it’s not like it’s gotten that serious with the whole getting a dog thing.. but I get what you mean about the waking up in the morning thing - I struggle so much with mornings! I’ve got depression and social anxiety too and my dogs are so so helpful with that. Like when I’m at home I do most of the dog stuff - it’s just walks which are tough bc I’ve got back issues atm and there’s the anxiety and overwhelm I get. Ugh I don’t know what to do. I wish there was a way to even get to spend time with a dog at uni you know? Also, how are you going about registering your dog? I thought the UK (annoyingly) didn’t recognise Emotional Support or Psychiatric Assitance Animals? Or have I misunderstood everything?
Reply 4
Original post by SashaMerlin96
That’s honestly such a helpful response. Thanks. I’m an international student, that’s kind of the problem so like it would be wholly independent. When I’m at home I’m essentially off school so it’s so different.. tbf I haven’t even talked to anyone about this so it’s not like it’s gotten that serious with the whole getting a dog thing.. but I get what you mean about the waking up in the morning thing - I struggle so much with mornings! I’ve got depression and social anxiety too and my dogs are so so helpful with that. Like when I’m at home I do most of the dog stuff - it’s just walks which are tough bc I’ve got back issues atm and there’s the anxiety and overwhelm I get. Ugh I don’t know what to do. I wish there was a way to even get to spend time with a dog at uni you know? Also, how are you going about registering your dog? I thought the UK (annoyingly) didn’t recognise Emotional Support or Psychiatric Assitance Animals? Or have I misunderstood everything?

I get how different it is when you're home. There might be a way to find someone near your uni who would walk the dog for you...though of course that might be expensive depending on where you are for uni. I will say having an assistance dog can acutally be unhelpful if you have anxiety as you get a lot more attention than without a dog. I have very little confidence when out in public and if I have to speak to people, however I'm always happy to talk about my dog. Does your uni (or anywhere close by) have a therapy dog? I don't know which country you're in but many places in the UK do have therapy dogs who are cared for by the uni/school and students can go and spend time with them. ESAs (Emotional Support Animals) are classed differently to assistance dogs/animals. They are recognised but have no public access rights. Really the only rights they have are being able to go into accommodation which otherwise doesn't allow pets. So if they were a registered ESA (I'm afraid I don't know much about ESAs) then they could live with you, but not accompany you into public areas such as uni, shops, etc. In the UK assistance dogs are pretty unregulated. Legally, they are not required to be registered or have any proof of training other than their good behaviour. Psychiatric assistance dogs come under the assistance dog umbrella and have the same rights as a medical alert assistance dog. There is an organisation called ADUK which has 13 'members'. If you use one of those charities/organisations to get/train an assistance dog then they will have ADUK registration, which looks professional, but isn't legally necessary. These places often have very long (or sometimes none at all) waiting lists, and most are programs which give you a dog. In my case I am owner training my own dog, so it is more difficult in many ways, but just as legal and suits my needs better.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by TallyPan
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with different universities with assistance dogs. I'm planning on bringing my assistance dog when I go to uni and I have looked at some of the policies different unis have. He is not currently registered as with a charity part of the ADUK (As by law he doesn't need to be) however I do plan to register him with one closer to the time, once I am satisfied with his training.

If anyone could share their experiences with different universities in the UK, and how accommodating you found them, that would be great!

TYIA!

Hiya @TallyPan,

Dogs are permitted on campus at Essex, in most outdoor areas, providing they are on a lead. We have some beautiful walks around the area and the Colchester campus is set within over 200 acres of parkland in Wivenhoe Park.

We sometimes have visits from Essex Therapy Dogs especially around exam season and campus events throughout the year. We even had a petting zoo here a couple times last year which was so much fun.

As far as having an assistance dog stay with you indoors, during lectures, or in your accommodation, there are certainly rules surrounding this so I've linked these below. Your best option is to contact universities directly. You are welcome to contact our wellbeing team at Essex: [email protected] who can assist with enquiries about individual needs.

~~~~~~~~~~

General Regulations at the University of Essex state the following about dogs:

7.16. No dogs, except for assistance dogs as defined by the Equality Act 2010, may be brought into or kept in any University building. All dogs brought on to the University site or property by members of the University, guests or visitors, must be kept on a lead at all times. No pets may be brought into or kept in accommodation owned or administered by the University.

~~~~~~~~~~

I'm sure you've already looked into all the legislation around the Equality Act 2010 but I'll just put it down here for reference.

“accessibility requirements” has the meaning given in section 167(5);

“assistance dog” means—

(a) a dog which has been trained to guide a blind person;

(b) a dog which has been trained to assist a deaf person;

(c) a dog which has been trained by a prescribed charity to assist a disabled person who has a disability that consists of epilepsy or otherwise affects the person's mobility, manual dexterity, physical co-ordination or ability to lift, carry or otherwise move everyday objects;

(d) a dog of a prescribed category which has been trained to assist a disabled person who has a disability (other than one falling within paragraph (c)) of a prescribed kind;

~~~~~~~~~~

Option (d) above is the one that seems to me a bit vague, which is why I would suggest asking universities that you are interested in what their interpretation is of a "disability of a prescribed kind" and the extent of official training required by them.

I hope this helps, best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending