The Student Room Group

Gcse humanities

Any advice on how to pass this gcse? Advice on long questions? This course is basically geography, history and re put together similar to the way core science is. P

I'll rep a good ans. thanks
Reply 1
For the whole thing or just long questions?
Reply 2
Original post by ZakMoon
For the whole thing or just long questions?

I think becoming good at long questions would benefit me more if u have any tips :smile:
Reply 3
I'm pretty good at humanities and I've got a couple of A's and an A* from following my teacher for the mocs.
I'll just do the whole thing for the sake of people viewing the thread

2 Mark Questions
Example question:
What is genocide?
Example answer: Genocide is the mass killing of people, an example of this is the extermination of the Jews
-When answering, define the given word and use an example (these usually revolve around general knowledge, your teacher should cover them)

4 Mark Questions
Example question
: "Explain two reasons why workers might experience job satisfaction? Use your own studies to answer"
Example answer: "Workers may experience job satisfaction because they receive a high rate of pay, and they could have intrinsic values in their job, eg the satisfaction of helping people"
-On the 4 mark questions, these usually relate to your studies you do in class. The 4 markers usually require two reasons for something too, so it's important to use two reasons.

12 Mark Questions (The most important ones)
Example question: "Using your own studies, assess the view that mechanisation has caused greater job loss in the motor industry and in other industries in the UK"
Example answer: "Mechanisation is the process of removing people in industry to using robots or machinery to complete jobs. From my own case studies, mechanisation has progressed in industries like car manufacturing (on assembly lines). In 1910, products were made by individuals and took time to make, human error could slow down production times and human error could decrease quality and profit. Going through to 1960, large items like cars were crafted on assembly lines. There would be multiple men and women stood by a conveyor belt, banging in nails or soldering items - there was little machinery and if there was, it would be someone operating it. Production times were faster, as there were more people working and people gradually increase their skill over time doing the same job. Moving through to 2000, technology has advanced a lot further. Technology like robots can be produced. As people need a salary, robots do not. For example, a person on an assembly line could be paid £20,000 a year whilst a robot could cost around £100,000, in 5 years the company would have made back the salary. Robotics and machinery also decrease time to manufacture products, they also have a small margin of error. With mechanisation, people have been made redundant as a robot can replace them. Robots are more efficient, and therefore will benefit the company..." (I didn't want to write out the whole thing)

With the 12 markers, read the question carefully andidentify the case study you need to use. With this, you should revise facts from your classes so you can use those to strengthen your writing.
- Look at the situation from two angles, so for the mechanisation question above... theres these angles:
1)Benefits the company as they can have a higher quality, increased efficiency etc.
2)Effects/Impacts on people; people lose out on jobs and have to rely on the government until they get employment.
The next few things are a little bit simpler:
3)Connectives. "However, because, on the other hand"... I believe these make arguments easier to link together which will help in getting more marks.
4)SPG Spelling Punctuation Grammar. Perfect SPG isn't going to be in every test, but now you get marks deducted or added for SPG. I guess these could make the difference between a C and D.

Best tip for the 12 markers though, REVISE your case studies. Humanities revolves around these, if you have a source booklet for some questions then its just comprehension

I hope this helped :biggrin:
Reply 4
Wjec humanities tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest