The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

What is chemistry like at the Uni of Glasgow?

Right now i'm choosing between here and St Andrews to study biochemistry, however there's a strong chance that if i find i'm better at chemistry i'd switch. So simply, are the any Chemistry students at Glasgow who can tell me about it, what's the teaching like, course structure, support etc? I've looked at subject-specific league tables as a last resort (iffy i know) and they don't place Glasgow terribly high, why is that?

Thank you! :smile:

Edit: Just to give some info about the subject tables -
Sunday Times Uni guide: 26 out of 47
Guardian: 39 out of 50
Complete University Guide: 17 out of 56
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there I'm studying Pharmacology (starting third year) at Glasgow. The first two years are general biology and chemistry so all different Life science students are placed together for lectures. Though in second year classes are more subject specific. In first year, you study Biology, Chemistry and a third subject of your choice - three modules. You can also study Chemistry in second year (optional) as well as modules your choice: for example, drugs and disease(pharmacology), Molecules of Life (Molecular Biology), physiology etc. In total in second year you study around 5 to 8 modules. I chose chemistry in second year as my student adviser told me it was relevant to my degree choice. First year chemistry was relatively simple as it covers the same level of understanding as Highers/Advanced Highers/A Level. Second year chemistry is a little more challenging, but you have great support from the lecturers, and weekly tutorials for more one on one support and lessons. Also through out first and second year chemistry you have weekly three hour labs which greatly increase your understanding of lab work aswell as your hours of experience in a lab environment.
I know you have your doubts about Glasgow, but it a great uni. It's a Russell Group University and it is the top 1% of universities in the world. I highly recommend you pick Glasgow. You will love it!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending