The Student Room Group

Computer Science at uni....

i was wondering about taking computer science at university if i haven’t taken it at a level..... what do you think???
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Most people who do it at uni haven't done it at A-Level (the course isn't widely offered, and it's often very poorly taught) so I wouldn't let that put you off! Have you taken maths and/or physics?
Original post by charlieischarlie
i was wondering about taking computer science at university if i haven’t taken it at a level..... what do you think???

This is an Oxford answer, but we're not too different from other top unis, so hopefully it's useful to you.

We're looking for people with a genuine interest in Computing. But our courses start from first principles, so we're not looking for any specific knowledge. We want students to have done "something". We want to be sure you've got a rough idea of what computer science is, and what you're letting yourself in for on the degree. It's a tough course, and students need a genuine interest to carry them through the three/four years of indepth study. There are lots of ways of demonstrating that interest: some people do A Level computing; many more don't. (Off the top of my head, in recent years about 30%(ish) of our A-Level taking candidates have done AS or A2 computing.)

Our courses are very mathematical: Maths is essential and Further Maths strongly recommended as the best preparation for our courses. We also suggest a science subject such as Physics.

So yes, we have many people on our CompSci courses who haven't taken an A Level (or similar) in Computing at school.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending