The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Finding it okay, but my EMPA went catastrophically bad so aiming to get full ums on Unit 4 as to try and get an A overall. Induction is by far the more tricky topic due to the nature of the questions asked imo.
Reply 2
Original post by Ziani
Finding it okay, but my EMPA went catastrophically bad so aiming to get full ums on Unit 4 as to try and get an A overall. Induction is by far the more tricky topic due to the nature of the questions asked imo.

induction? what do you mean by induction? I can't recall that
Reply 3
Original post by Qari
induction? what do you mean by induction? I can't recall that

electromagnetic induction
Reply 4
Original post by Ziani
electromagnetic induction

I hate magnetic fields.
Isn't Induction include in.that?
Reply 5
Original post by Qari
I hate magnetic fields.
Isn't Induction include in.that?

they're 2 different topics but are heavily linked. My issue is that im not sure how much we have to understand everything? last year i got a high B through trying to understand every singly principle when others memorised chunks of information and got As.
Reply 6
Original post by Ziani
they're 2 different topics but are heavily linked. My issue is that im not sure how much we have to understand everything? last year i got a high B through trying to understand every singly principle when others memorised chunks of information and got As.

6 mark question will **** me.over.
What is your optional unit?
Reply 7
I did pretty well in physics last year and am hoping for similar marks this year, Unit 4 seems to be a relatively manageable exam especially with the multi-choice section.
Reply 8
Original post by Goods
I did pretty well in physics last year and am hoping for similar marks this year, Unit 4 seems to be a relatively manageable exam especially with the multi-choice section.

what section is your worst?
Mine has to be magnetic field and electromagnetic induction
Reply 9
Unit 4 im finding harder than unit 5 with the exception of thermo! Magnetic fields are really hard though. spent the last two days trying to get the sorted in my head. Got my EMPA tomorrow, wish me luck!
Reply 10
Original post by dudesamld
Unit 4 im finding harder than unit 5 with the exception of thermo! Magnetic fields are really hard though. spent the last two days trying to get the sorted in my head. Got my EMPA tomorrow, wish me luck!

I'm the opposite to you. I'm finding Magnetic fields hard as well as thermal physics and my optinal unit

BTW Good Luck
Reply 11
WHY is there even an optional unit. I havent even started Astrophysics :frown:
Reply 12
Original post by RainieXD
WHY is there even an optional unit. I havent even started Astrophysics :frown:

do you mean revising or the topic itself?
Reply 13
Revising/learning ; Im actually on a gap year retaking this module, so I dont really know if thats considered revising :/
Reply 14
Original post by RainieXD
Revising/learning ; Im actually on a gap year retaking this module, so I dont really know if thats considered revising :/

you're cutting it clsoe
People seem to think they're doing terrible on this module, but have you looked up the grade boundaries for A2 Physics exams? I've done 4/8 of the past papers and despite my mediocre scores, I've ended up with full ums in every one. Like 65 is pretty much guaranteed full UMS.
Reply 16
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe
People seem to think they're doing terrible on this module, but have you looked up the grade boundaries for A2 Physics exams? I've done 4/8 of the past papers and despite my mediocre scores, I've ended up with full ums in every one. Like 65 is pretty much guaranteed full UMS.

65 is mediocre?
I ain't getting.more than 30 or 40
Reply 17
Original post by RuSSeLLMaGuiRe

I find the principles involved quite hard to get my head around. Also think that the papers tend to come up with unpredictable questions - less like at AS where you could be confident of at least 60% of the questions coming from previous past papers. Currently using the Jim Breithaupt revision guide but sometimes refer to the CGP one. Which books are you guys using?
Reply 18
Original post by Ziani
I find the principles involved quite hard to get my head around. Also think that the papers tend to come up with unpredictable questions - less like at AS where you could be confident of at least 60% of the questions coming from previous past papers. Currently using the Jim Breithaupt revision guide but sometimes refer to the CGP one. Which books are you guys using?

Nelson Thornes text book.
And some collins student support material book for unit 4
Anyone thought of starting with section B? I find the multiple choice much harder per mark. I can confidently get 20+ but it takes too much time.

Trending

Trending