The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by azo
Reflexes don't go through the CNS I don't think? I think you will have got 4 or 5 marks but I think it as:

stimuli-----------Receptor----Sensory neurone-----relay neuron----------motor neurone---------effector-----------response

Relay neuron is within the cns, so they technically do, I made the mistake of differentiating the 2 in the exam :rolleyes:
Original post by olmyster911
I'M STILL ON P5 :angry: hahaha

Hah, at least you'll know it well :biggrin: it really is badly explained to be honestbecause the science is trickier :/ I'm just gonna have to do loads of practice with it :/
Original post by DDan123
Aha electricity and circuits isn't that bad! You actually get used to all the terminology and how they work e.g current, resistance, p.d, resistors, motors etc. Or maybe it's just me? :tongue:

It's just you! :tongue:
Has anyone done the January 2013 physics paper? It's so ****ing stupid the questions make no ****ing sense whatsoever! Every physics exam tries to **** you over one way or another

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm feeling a little more confident with this exam, surprisingly! A day before the exam and I'm finally comfortable with the topics....oookay then, logic..
Original post by brodingoson
Has anyone done the January 2013 physics paper? It's so ****ing stupid the questions make no ****ing sense whatsoever! Every physics exam tries to **** you over one way or another

Posted from TSR Mobile

And so is the way of physics :rolleyes: I'm guessing you're buzzing for the exam tomorrow :wink:
Original post by lyricalvibe
Hah, at least you'll know it well :biggrin: it really is badly explained to be honestbecause the science is trickier :/ I'm just gonna have to do loads of practice with it :/

I don't understand it despite studying it for ages!

Yeah, I'll do what you're doing too :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It was heaven compared to June 13! 6 markers are fairly nice..the P5 one is fairly dodgy but all we really need to know is that stationary ions in the wire collide with charges which creates kinetic energy and thus heating. And add some data in!
Reply 1368
Original post by Sulfur
The question was:

"Animals respond to changes in their environment. A predator appears and causes a rapid response in a squirrel. Suggest what this response might be. Describe the processes that occur in the squirrel to cause this rapid response."

The rapid response bit implies it was a reflex, where the information isn't processed. So I don't think you talk about the CNS as the brain doesn't decide what to do, as it is involuntary. IDEK, you have an impressive memory to recall that question!

Original post by lyricalvibe
Relay neuron is within the cns, so they technically do, I made the mistake of differentiating the 2 in the exam :rolleyes:

I just had a look at the spec and you are correct that relay neurons are in the CNS, so it isn't wrong but I don't think you talk about it co-coordinating a response or anything as
understand that this arrangement of neurons into a fixed pathway allows reflex responses to be automatic and so very rapid, since no processing of information is
required
Reply 1369

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've looked at it and I just think... what the hell. The questions seem to want answers that you'd never think of and the marks awarded for some points is ridiculous.
I actually love those Vp/Vs turns on the transformer questions now..hope it comes up tomorrow :colone:
Original post by ToLiveInADream
It was heaven compared to June 13! 6 markers are fairly nice..the P5 one is fairly dodgy but all we really need to know is that stationary ions in the wire collide with charges which creates kinetic energy and thus heating. And add some data in!

Naa last June was heaven compared to jan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Naa last June was heaven compared to jan

Posted from TSR Mobile

Suppose it's about opinion but man..that P5 6 marker for June is not even..ughh I can't even
well atleast turn out to be low since everyone finds it hard! 34/60 in physics last year for an A*!!!
OCR always expect stuff in the 6 markers that hardly relate to the question, so I think it's best if you go in to alot of detail, i do this is 3 markers as well, just to be safe!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by azo
The rapid response bit implies it was a reflex, where the information isn't processed. So I don't think you talk about the CNS as the brain doesn't decide what to do, as it is involuntary. IDEK, you have an impressive memory to recall that question!

I just had a look at the spec and you are correct that relay neurons are in the CNS, so it isn't wrong but I don't think you talk about it co-coordinating a response or anything as
understand that this arrangement of neurons into a fixed pathway allows reflex responses to be automatic and so very rapid, since no processing of information is
required

Yeah I know, I said that I differentiated the 2 as separate areas, doing that is wrong, all a relay neuron is is a specialized part of the cns specific for reflexes and yes no information is processed. My point was simply that saying the cns was in a different place than the relay neuron is incorrect, the nervous impulse always takes the same pathway into the cns to the relay neuron as the spec says but in less detail. - But yes the question was talking about the reflex arc
Did you mention the synapse?
(edited 9 years ago)
image.jpg
39 marks for an A* in june 2012 :frown:
Can anyone explain half life to me? :confused:
is it likely rutherford could come up tomorrow?
How would you answer "Explain how an AC current is made as opposed to a DC current"?
Original post by olmyster911
Can anyone explain half life to me? :confused:

im sure someone else can help better, but basically:

the atom's nucleus is unstable and wants to get stable, so it emits radioactive rays (alpha, beta or gamma)randomly, however there is a pattern because more and more atoms are becoming stable and there are less unstable atoms left, so less radiation is emitted, so less activity. half life is the amount of time it takes for activity to reduce by half, or the time taken for half the sample to 'decay' (become stable.

"the time taken for half of a radioactive sample to decay/

time taken for activity to drop to ½" - one mark answer for JAN 2013 paper on halflife

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending