The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS Geography Unit 2 May 16th

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Kash24411
wow i guess im like the only one doing unequal spaces on this forum

I do unequal spaces unfortunately, what do you think will come out?
Original post by s-hardayjade
If anyone is seriously struggling I can send you all of my rural rebranding notes that i've made this morning and some of my Holderness coasts notes? Just let me know and i'll post them up here some way or other.
Also our teacher went through the 15 mark fieldwork questions with us on crowded coasts and I have the templates of those and he says they are guaranteed to get 20/15 so you could use those but just swap names or just copy them:smile:

Yes Please!
Original post by ruchipoochii
Yes Please!

She posted the link a few pages back. If you don't wanna keep waiting you should try look back and find it. :smile:
Reply 223
So who thinks Weather Diary will come up tomorrow? (Extreme Weather)
Original post by alibown
here's all the past questions

case study questions (10 marks)
1) using examples, outline the ways in which urban areas have re-imaged themselves to attract more visitors
2) using examples, suggest how some places have used rebranding to become more sustainable
3) using examples, explain why rebranding strategies are not always entirely successful
4) with references to examples, discuss the role of the players involved in rebranding
5)examine the link between deprivation and the need for rebranding in some rural areas
6) describe how some places have used sport and leisure as a catalyst to kickstart rebranding
7) using examples, examine the success of rural rebranding schemes
8) with reference to examples, examine the role of different platers involved in the rebranding process

fieldwork questions (15 marks)
1) for either an urban or rural area, describe the fieldwork and research you undertook to investigate the need for rebranding
2) for either an urban or a rural area, describe the fieldwork and research you undertook to examine the success of rebranding schemes
3) for either urban or rural, describe the methods you used to collect and present your fieldwork and research into rebranding
4) for either urban or rural, describe the results and conclusions of your fieldwork and research into the success of rebranding schemes
5) summarise the results and conclusions of your fieldwork and research into the success of urban rebranding schemes
6) describe the fieldwork and research you would undertake in order to examine the success of rebranding solutions in an urban or rural area
7) describe the fieldwork and research you would undertake to collect evidence of rebranding in a named urban area
8) describe the fieldwork and research you would undertake in order to investigate why some urban areas are in need of rebranding

Thank you for this!
wish you guys all the best, hopefully when you look at the questions everything will come rushing back and it'll be fine :yy:
Original post by antpap
I too am doing Crowed Coasts and Rebranding.... I have literally given up. The exam on Monday was ridiculous... But that aside, I have been spending hours writing these exam questions, so to only have 35 minutes is really worrying. I also have English Lit tomorrow morning, because it's such a good idea to put two important exams on the same day. Lost all hope for Geography, so lets hope English goes well.... Edexcel needs to sort their mood-swings out.

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. Have you got English AQA A?
So bloody stressed!!!!:mad:
Can't help but feel nervous. Hopefully the questions are okay
Original post by Age
So who thinks Weather Diary will come up tomorrow? (Extreme Weather)

If it does. I'll be more than happy.
Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck to everyone! And to us unlucky few who are having to do a 2 hour English literature exam. So kind of them to put two essay subjects on the same day! :smile:
i want Holderness to come up but NOT the management of it but like how its at risk or the impacts of erosion and in the rebranding bit i want one that i can answer with the Jurassic Coast aka a form of rebranding that has occured in a rural area to come up although i wouldnt mind a pop. growth question which i can answer with brighton or a conflicts question which i can answer with lyme bay to come up uhhh i hope this paper is nice:no:
Posted from TSR Mobile

oh god that is painful :eek::jumphug::frown: good luck!!!
Good luck everyone!!! Smash it :smile: or just rip up the paper
What points would you put for a 15 marker on the weather diary? Thanks
Reply 235
GOOD LUCK ALLLLLLLLL :biggrin:
we can do this! dont feel stressed or you'll just forget everything.
Reply 236
Original post by s-hardayjade
This is the link with all of my work I have done on rebranding in neat and it's mostly rural:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1m1ZHI-TsZGN0ZTdVdZSk15bTA&usp=drive_web
Sorry that it has taken so long! wasn't as easy as I thought.. Ask me for any problems with my handwriting/more in depth explanation. If anyone is interested i'll be going to a revision class tomorrow on rebranding and i'll share all of my notes from that tomorrow aswell? If not, good luck with your exams! I think my biggest struggle will be timing.

Thank you, this has been really helpful!
Good luck:smile:
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
If a 15 marker comes up on this:

Measuring physical factors:
1) Surface runoff - The amount and speed of surface runoff affects the risk of flooding because the sooner precipitation reaches the river the more chance there is of the level rising above the bankfull discharge.
Surface runoff can be measured directly by digging a ditch of a known ares and using a container to collect runoff. You then need to divide the runoff collected by the rainfall at each location so you can compare locations fairly.

2) Infiltration - A high infiltration rate reduces surface runoff and vice versa (as stated on previous posts) It can be measured by using an 'infiltration ring' That you push into the soil. Then you pour a known volume of water and time how long the water takes to soak away

3) Vegetation cover - The mroe vegetation cover there is. The more interception (Vice versa) - You can map the vegetation cover of an area of land to find how much vegetation there is and to see if there's gonna be more interception etc then base your results on that. (Make it up)

Land use:
Land use can be mapped to record the amount of urbanisation. Agricultural land. Deforestation. This can be then combined with research to investigate the links between precipitation and flooding.

Research:
Ordnance survey maps to find the size and gradient of river drainage basins.
Look at maps on British Geological Survey to see different types of rocks in different areas
Use masp (google maps. Google.co.uk) To see links between vegetation and flooding.

Research for land use: Historical maps, land use surveys, old photographs, historical diares. These sources show how land use has changed over time etc.
Flood risk maps on the environment agency website. The maps shows areas which are at risk from flooding and which areas benefit from flood defences/barriers.

Hope this summed up everything. I know it's a bit straightforward and a bit rushed but this is pretty much what you need to know. You'll be fine x

If you're unfamiliar with some keywords. Here they are:

Discharge - The amount of water that flows in a river per second
Evapotranspiration - The combination of evaporation and transpiration
Infiltration - Water soaking into the soil
Interception - When precipitation lands onto vegetation or other structures before it reaches the soil
Lag time - Delay between peak rainfall and peak discharge
Surface runoff - Water flowing over the ground

Thank you ever so much!
This was so useful x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GeorgeAndLennie
Not to worry:

Poor land management increases the risk of flooding occuring:

1) Urbanisation on flood plains increases the area of impermeable surfaces (e.g. Concrete) which increases surface runoff, leading to higher levels.
2) Agricultural practices - can affect the volume of water and rate of water reaching a river, e.g. Drainage systems allow water to flow more quickly into a river channel. Other farming practices (e.g. removal of vegetation, overgrazing, use of heavy machinery) increase soil erosion, which leads to more soil being deposited in a river. This lifts up the river bed, decreasing capacity of the channel and increasing the risk of flooding.
3) Deforestation reduces interception and evapotranspiration. This increases the volume of water that reaches the river channel, which increases discharge and the risk of flooding.

The list above are human factors.
The list below are physical:

1) Sparse vegetations - in the drainage basin means little rainfall is intercepted so more rain reaches the ground increasing surface runoff and discharge.
2) Steep slopes - If the drainage basin has steep-sided valleys water will reach the river much more quickly because water flows more quickly on steeper slopes. This increases discharge.
3) Impermeable ground - Clay soils and some rocks like shale and granite are impermeable so they don't allow infiltration of surface water. This increases surface runoff which increases discharge.

Hopefully this helped. I'll post a bit more.

Thank you SO much x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ruchipoochii
Yes Please!

If you could post them that would be great ! Also can someone help me with players for rebranding? Why is it important to have lots of different player for urban/rural rebranding?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending