there are two decays
K+ -> pi+ +pi0
and
K+ -> mu+ + antimuon neutrino

the question asks which is impossible
and the markscheme says the second because lepton no. is not conserved
but it is isnt it
im reallly confused any help would be appreciated
For specific charge calculations, do you include the mass of any electrons?
The rule seems to have changed in different past papers. Thanks!
Original post by hellomotto27
For specific charge calculations, do you include the mass of any electrons?
The rule seems to have changed in different past papers. Thanks!

If it says specific charge of the nucleus, ignore electrons. If it asks about an ion/atom, then include the electrons.
Reply 123
Original post by rhiam
has anyone done the june 2011 paper?
question 1 bii is bugging me
there are two decays
K+ -> pi+ +pi0
and

but it is isnt it

It isn't conserved as a mu+ is a antimuon (muon has a -1 charge) so LHS lepton number = 0 RHS leptop number = -2
Reply 124
Original post by Usey11
It isn't conserved as a mu+ is a antimuon (muon has a -1 charge) so LHS lepton number = 0 RHS leptop number = -2

thank you so much :smile:
Original post by __Adam__
If it says specific charge of the nucleus, ignore electrons. If it asks about an ion/atom, then include the electrons.

Thank you!
Original post by Abby_W31
Not good, we did a mock last week in class and I got a U D: I'm absolutely s**ting it! Just gone through my notes and made three double sided revision pages that sum it all up, I hope I do better.

Just excuse me a minute while I go and cry in a corner!

Yeah, like I was just saying there ^ I got a U in my mock, why? Because it was largely electricity!

I just about scraped an E for the exact same reason! Hopefully it will be more particle based.
Original post by rhiam
has anyone done the june 2011 paper?
question 1 bii is bugging me
there are two decays
K+ -> pi+ +pi0
and

but it is isnt it

I think a muon is negatively charged like an electron, so mu+ would be an antiparticle therefore you're making 2 antiparticles in the second reaction, lepton number = -2
when calculating specific charge, do you have to separate proton and neutrons' mass? or can u use both at 1.67 x 10^-27?
Reply 129
Original post by you-only-live-once
when calculating specific charge, do you have to separate proton and neutrons' mass? or can u use both at 1.67 x 10^-27?

You can use them together.
Do you need to know much about diodes? All we have been taught is the I/V characteristics.
A prediction on what an A grade is in ums for both papers and the practical?
Reply 132
Original post by corsilo96
Do you need to know much about diodes? All we have been taught is the I/V characteristics.

Nope. As long as you know the IV characteristics for the bulb, the diode, the wire and the thermistor you're sorted.
Original post by corsilo96

Looking at the textbook, diodes only have a couple of paragraphs written about them. V/I graph and characteristics are pretty much it.

Original post by toddmcnugget
A prediction on what an A grade is in ums for both papers and the practical?

A is always 80% UMS (240/300) How many marks that is depends on how hard the paper is.

A is always 80% UMS (240/300) How many marks that is depends on how hard the paper is.

Jeez, I'm going to mess up tomorrow's paper (pretty sure) but hopefully I'll get full UMS in paper 2...
Reply 135
Hey, A2 student doing Unit 1 this year, due to family issues last summer. Have my head round Unit 1 pretty well and am happy to help this evening for anyone stuck on last bits. Send me a message.
Reply 136
It seems like im the only one in my class who finds paper 1 harder than paper 2 :s-smilie:
Original post by toddmcnugget
Jeez, I'm going to mess up tomorrow's paper (pretty sure) but hopefully I'll get full UMS in paper 2...

Just had a look on the raw/ums bit of the aqa site, an A is roughly 55/56 marks. As I said, it varies a bit between tests, but it seems to be in that general area.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just had a look on the raw/ums bit of the aqa site, an A is roughly 55/56 marks

That's not too bad I guess, good luck to all!
can I just ask how do we work out specific charge, I always get it wrong.
Usually i put electron charge x no of electrons over the (electron mass x electron no) x (neutron mass x neutron number)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending