The Student Room Group

AQA AS Business Studies Unit 1 (19th May 2014)

Hi!

So I'm doing AQA AS Business Studies and I thought it'd be a good idea to create a thread so we can discuss problems, question possibilities and basically help each other with exam technique etc.! :smile:

I'm more confident at this unit than unit 2 but it's worth less which is not ideal!

I've created a Unit 2 thread here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2679417
so once we've finished Unit 1 we can discuss the Unit 2.

Ask/help :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BiteMeChilliBoy!
Hi!

So I'm doing AQA AS Business Studies and I thought it'd be a good idea to create a thread so we can discuss problems, question possibilities and basically help each other with exam technique etc.! :smile:

I'm more confident at this unit than unit 2 but it's worth less which is not ideal!

I've created a Unit 2 thread here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2679417
so once we've finished Unit 1 we can discuss the Unit 2.

Ask/help :smile:

So glad you've created this thread, couldn't find one anywhere so was going to start my own but not sure how haha!

I'm self studying business studies so finding some parts fine some parts difficult, whats your situation? :smile:
Reply 2
I'm taking this exam. To be honest, Unit 1 seems rather straight-forward since Unit 2 builds on this and helps your exam technique. I think the only thing that troubles me at the moment is 'Breakeven Charts', the rest just requires learning the definition and having a go at some past questions.

Tip, in this exam knowledge and application are the most important things (worth over 50% of the whole paper). In Unit 2, Analysis and Evaluation are much more significant. So make sure you don't over analyse in Unit 1, nor overload on knowledge in Unit 2 without explaining in depth.
Original post by Greg182
So glad you've created this thread, couldn't find one anywhere so was going to start my own but not sure how haha!

I'm self studying business studies so finding some parts fine some parts difficult, whats your situation? :smile:

Yes same! I couldn't find it so I kind of did trial and error in working out how to make one!

Well we were 'taught' but I do feel like I'm self-studying too! But Unit 1 i'm okay at as I did GCSE Business Studies so i find it basically the same.

I learnt a lot of exam technique at GCSE for Business so when I came to college I was surprised everyone else was learning this technique for the first time.

I can help if you have questions on Unit 1 - though Unit 2 is where I need help! :smile:
Original post by serebro
I'm taking this exam. To be honest, Unit 1 seems rather straight-forward since Unit 2 builds on this and helps your exam technique. I think the only thing that troubles me at the moment is 'Breakeven Charts', the rest just requires learning the definition and having a go at some past questions.

Tip, in this exam knowledge and application are the most important things (worth over 50% of the whole paper). In Unit 2, Analysis and Evaluation are much more significant. So make sure you don't over analyse in Unit 1, nor overload on knowledge in Unit 2 without explaining in depth.

Great tip! Thank you!

And yes break-even is probably one of my weaker points but I too think the rest is straight forward for Unit 1. I'll probably be heading off to the Unit 2 thread more often nearer to the exam! :smile:
Reply 5
Yes same! I couldn't find it so I kind of did trial and error in working out how to make one!

Well we were 'taught' but I do feel like I'm self-studying too! But Unit 1 i'm okay at as I did GCSE Business Studies so i find it basically the same.

I learnt a lot of exam technique at GCSE for Business so when I came to college I was surprised everyone else was learning this technique for the first time.

I can help if you have questions on Unit 1 - though Unit 2 is where I need help! :smile:

Unit 2 I've self studied a lot on as it just seems a tougher version of unit 1! Do you think the questions will be just as basic as they have been in recent years? Unit 2 will be about putting unit 1 into action i imagine, thats what managing is all about haha!
Anyone have any good methods of remembering the calculations or definitions?? :smile:
Reply 7
I think break even charts are going to come up in the exam, as they haven't been in a paper for a while! :smile: good luck
Reply 8
Original post by Questions101
Anyone have any good methods of remembering the calculations or definitions?? :smile:

Make a big list and read them repeatedly :smile:
Original post by Lubear
I think break even charts are going to come up in the exam, as they haven't been in a paper for a while! :smile: good luck

Do you think we will have to draw one or complete it??
Original post by Lubear
Make a big list and read them repeatedly :smile:

I think that is what I am going to do thanks :smile:
Reply 11
Complete it by drawing in lines ... maybe :smile: I am quite a sad individual, i've linked the specification with the frequency/ occurrence of the past questions; from jan 2009.

Things that haven't come up in a while in my opinion are: opportunity cost, government support for enterprises, Franchises! (possibly big marker) Transforming resources/adding value, factors influencing choice of sample , types of markets

Finance: break even graphs /analysing the effects of changing variables on break even charts. (haven't found a question on how to forecast cash flow)

But it's hard to predict these things ahaha :P
i always find difficulty in applying my points to case study and choosing key points... Any tips on how to improve this technique????
Original post by Greg182
Unit 2 I've self studied a lot on as it just seems a tougher version of unit 1! Do you think the questions will be just as basic as they have been in recent years? Unit 2 will be about putting unit 1 into action i imagine, thats what managing is all about haha!

I don't know - they never seem basic to me unit 2! :smile: I'll need to do a lot but for now im focusing on Unit 1.
Original post by Questions101

There are only like 9 or so calculations for Unit 1. Definitions I never use them unless it's a definition question! I dread those questions! - Though most definitions are kinda simple - make revision flash cards - they've helped a lot of people I know that have been learning them :smile:
Original post by Lubear
Complete it by drawing in lines ... maybe :smile: I am quite a sad individual, i've linked the specification with the frequency/ occurrence of the past questions; from jan 2009.

Things that haven't come up in a while in my opinion are: opportunity cost, government support for enterprises, Franchises! (possibly big marker) Transforming resources/adding value, factors influencing choice of sample , types of markets

Finance: break even graphs /analysing the effects of changing variables on break even charts. (haven't found a question on how to forecast cash flow)

But it's hard to predict these things ahaha :P

You're not sad - that's really clever and helpful! Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by aisha 56
i always find difficulty in applying my points to case study and choosing key points... Any tips on how to improve this technique????

The easiest way to apply is use the numbers given in the case study.

That's what someone I know does - they use numbers and if they can they do calculation with the numbers given which gives even better marks! :smile:

But me, I just find relevant information that will only apply to this study and I wouldn't find it in any other case study. Something that differentiates it form all other case studies you've read. Pick out points so the examiner definitely knows ' yes she's talking relating to this particular study'.

That's what I do!
There are only like 9 or so calculations for Unit 1. Definitions I never use them unless it's a definition question! I dread those questions! - Though most definitions are kinda simple - make revision flash cards - they've helped a lot of people I know that have been learning them :smile:

Ok thank you but at the start of every question are you not meant to put a definition? I gets you marks for knowledge in unit 1

Yes, for Unit 1, you need to know the following formulas:

- Breakeven point/output
- Profit
- Profit from Contribution
- Total Contribution & Contribution per Unit
- Revenue
- Market Share
- Percentage Change

Definitions, there's about 90 possible definitions to learn, try use quizlet to find all the definitions in flash card form. A lot of them are obvious (e.g market) and some of them are similar (e.g market segment and niche market).
than you !
do you have any predictions on what's going to come on our business studies unit 1 exam??,... :!

Quick Reply

Latest