The Student Room Group

200 mile motorway journey at night, how fast would you go?

Scroll to see replies

35mph so I can enjoy the long journey
Original post by cole-slaw
My needle would sit around ~80, which would translate to a speed between 70 and 75.

Why is everyone so suckedu p on the fact car speedos aren't 100% accurate. Sick of it lol.;

Done 120 MPH last night, always one person saying you probably only did 108 mph blah blah
Original post by mikeyd85
OK, so you're doing 77MPH down the motorway. How sure are you that your speedo is 100% accurate and doesn't read 2 MPH short?

My speedos are always 100% accurate.
Original post by Dr Pesto
My speedos are always 100% accurate.

Don't need to know about yer budgie smugglers man.
Put it this way.

Would you feel comfortable driving 200 miles at 100 mph on a clear road (from a getting caught by the police perspective) ? Probably no

Would you feel comfortable in the above scenario at 80 mph ? Probably yes

What is the cut off speed ? 85 mph ? 90 mph ?
Reply 25
80, sometimes 90 without noticing.
in a 320d (nice choice - e90 or f10?) you can go pretty much any speed between 100 and 110 before it gets ever so slighlty fidegty. so keep it 95 for a brisk journey without sacrificing ride comfort
Original post by tazza ma razza
in a 320d (nice choice - e90 or f10?) you can go pretty much any speed between 100 and 110 before it gets ever so slighlty fidegty. so keep it 95 for a brisk journey without sacrificing ride comfort

Erm it's 2006 not sure which one that is.

Yeah it can sit happily at 110 :smile:
ah e90 - the ride is remarkable - firm but forgiving; the diesel suits the car for fast motorway cruising :smile: enjoy your trek!
If am doing a night journey in UK, generally stick to between 80-100mph if I'm familiar with that route.

In Norway, I generally stick to the speed limit of 100kph as it isn't unusual for speed trap operations even at 2am at some places and fines isn't something I want to deal with here. Also the motorways here isn't that fantastic for high speeds.
Prob around the 95-100 mark, maybe knocking on 140 if its completely dead.
Original post by MissoniMissoni
Assuming a clear road, and you have 4 passengers to split the fuel bill with, it's 10 pm at night, what speed would you set the cruise control of your BMW 320d to and why?

Funny enough, I was in that exact same scenario only I had three passengers, was driving a 316i, and it was 4 in the morning.

I floored it. What the hell am I risking if I'm the only car on the motorway?
80-90.

Better fuel efficiency, and quick enough to not bother going any faster.
I'd sit at an indicated 80. Any more and my car really does drink the petrol, it's just not worth it in my book. If I'm driving at night I'm usually not in any particular hurry anyway.
Assuming a clear road, and you have 4 passengers to split the fuel bill with, it's 10 pm at night, what speed would you set the cruise control of your BMW 320d to and why?

88mph.

Me, I'd set it to a straight 70, I wouldn't want any problems cos I'm broke as ****

My dad or my uncle? They'd probably set it to 100+
Reply 36
Below 100 if other cars on the road, if no cars then foot down and don't look what speed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounded like a traintracks thread, yet no mention of a Passat...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending