The Student Room Group

G481 Mechanics 20 May 2014 Unoffical mark scheme

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by teacher607
Hello,
Please could you tell me are there 2 possible answers for the second last one ? Because theres 2 equations for springs energy - e=kxsqared and e=0.5xfxX. I used the latter and got 0.06 along along with some of my friends, is this right or how many marks will I get for it?
Thanks

There is only 1 answer. I used 1/2*k*x^2 because the force pulling the spring down is no longer 3N because they stated in the question that it is pulled down further so the force has changed from 3N. Since you don't know the force you just use 1/2 * K*X^2 instead.
For figure 7.1, you can use either equation and you will get the same answer (0.09J), but for the second one the answer should be (0.25J). Therefore the answer is 0.25-0.09=0.16J
For the question with the crane, I used the wrong height :frown: 75 m how many marks do you reckon I would get? I went on to do the percentage and got 25%
Original post by aa634
There is only 1 answer. I used 1/2*k*x^2 because the force pulling the spring down is no longer 3N because they stated in the question that it is pulled down further so the force has changed from 3N. Since you don't know the force you just use 1/2 * K*X^2 instead.
For figure 7.1, you can use either equation and you will get the same answer (0.09J), but for the second one the answer should be (0.25J). Therefore the answer is 0.25-0.09=0.16J

If you work out the new force as 5.0N and use that you can get the same answer.
0.16J either way.
Original post by elias_123
For the question with the crane, I used the wrong height :frown: 75 m how many marks do you reckon I would get? I went on to do the percentage and got 25%

If everything else was correct, I'd expect 3/4.
Reply 104
Original post by teachercol
If you work out the new force as 5.0N and use that you can get the same answer.
0.16J either way.

Yes, but it is quicker to just substitute 50 and 0.1 into 1/2*k*x^2
For the question to determine the acceleration of free fall, what If I just didn't mention that we take the average, but mentioned everything else, would I still get full marks on it?
I am pretty sure yes because i did the same and also on another past paper the mark scheme didnt ask for sn average
I am very worried about this exam I was predicted a B but I think I may have gotten a D or even an E depending on the grade boundaries...In coursework I got 35/40 which is a B grade if I was to get a good A in g482 what would my overall grade approximately be? I am so very disappointed especially since I realised my mistakes when I looked over them five minutes before the end however it was too late at that point to rectify them...I was never confident in this exam and I think my sheer panic and rushing without reading the questions properly have severely affected my exam :frown: :frown:
Original post by Hbomb777
I am very worried about this exam I was predicted a B but I think I may have gotten a D or even an E depending on the grade boundaries...In coursework I got 35/40 which is a B grade if I was to get a good A in g482 what would my overall grade approximately be? I am so very disappointed especially since I realised my mistakes when I looked over them five minutes before the end however it was too late at that point to rectify them...I was never confident in this exam and I think my sheer panic and rushing without reading the questions properly have severely affected my exam :frown: :frown:

It depends on UMS what grade you'd get, but G482 accounts for 50% of AS so I wouldn't worry too much just yet, concentrate in getting the best mark you can in it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's the general consensus as to what raw mark would be needed for 90/90 UMS?
Original post by sagar448
I am pretty sure yes because i did the same and also on another past paper the mark scheme didnt ask for sn average

I said measure the height from the position where u going to release till the ground level and then i said start the stopwatch as soon as u release and stop as it touches the ground find g using the equation i mentioned and said do the same to find g for different heights...,
What would i get any idea???
Original post by aa634

What if i put my answer as 0.25 because i completely had no idea u take away the two from each other.. :/ would i get any mark?
Original post by Hithere098765432
I said measure the height from the position where u going to release till the ground level and then i said start the stopwatch as soon as u release and stop as it touches the ground find g using the equation i mentioned and said do the same to find g for different heights...,
What would i get any idea???

I think you'll be fine 3/3
Original post by Hithere098765432
What if i put my answer as 0.25 because i completely had no idea u take away the two from each other.. :/ would i get any mark?

You should get method marks :smile:
its the force the person is pulling down from
Well I completely failed that... How hard do you think G482 will be?
Original post by UnknownAnon
Well I completely failed that... How hard do you think G482 will be?

Easy since this was hard
Whst will my overall grade be if I got E in unit 1 and A in unit 2?
What will my overall grade be if I got E in unit 1 and A in unit 2?
Original post by coolgamer
Whst will my overall grade be if I got E in unit 1 and A in unit 2?

Depends on how high/low the E and A are, as well as coursework.
Theoretically could get a U in unit 1 and still get an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending