The Student Room Group

Anybody doing Westphal/Donovan/Ayer Implications paper?

So I've been going over example answers, examiners tips, dos and don'ts but I am still slightly concerned!

One of my teachers let me down big time on his marking last year so i don't trust he really knows much about what I have to do to hit the mark scheme. Plus we've hardly done any practise in school.

I know the content for each quite well but as far as I can see they want you to expand on the passage without regurgitating the entire text. So are we supposed to bring in the rest of the text at all beyond a very brief outline of an idea? Also are we literally just supposed to be explaining what the passage says drawing on our own examples/connections? One example I saw was talking about the various debates in philosophy Donovan contributed to so is that necessary??

I'm about to go over all the examiner reports and mark schemes but I am worried I could be doing something completely rubbish and not know

(summary: plz someone explain the point of the text and what the mark scheme wants)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Original post by Starrydog
So I've been going over example answers, examiners tips, dos and don'ts but I am still slightly concerned!

One of my teachers let me down big time on his marking last year so i don't trust he really knows much about what I have to do to hit the mark scheme. Plus we've hardly done any practise in school.

I know the content for each quite well but as far as I can see they want you to expand on the passage without regurgitating the entire text. So are we supposed to bring in the rest of the text at all beyond a very brief outline of an idea? Also are we literally just supposed to be explaining what the passage says drawing on our own examples/connections? One example I saw was talking about the various debates in philosophy Donovan contributed to so is that necessary??

I'm about to go over all the examiner reports and mark schemes but I am worried I could be doing something completely rubbish and not know

(summary: plz someone explain the point of the text and what the mark scheme wants)

I'm really struggling with this paper too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm having the same issue! I absolutely need to get a B in this paper and I'm struggling with how you actually expand on the passage without, like you said, just reeling off stuff that Ayer/Donovan/Westphal simply said elsewhere in the article. AND THE EXAM IS SO SOON. Ah.
Reply 4
any prediction of what might come up?
My teacher thinks Westphal is most likely, especially the Kant/morality section. But she said there is no knowing, Donovan is likely too and they may even do Ayer two years in a row! Argh.
Reply 6
Can someone please explain the 'mediated immediacy' paragraph...its the 8th paragraph in the Donovan text
Original post by Joanna Rose
I'm having the same issue! I absolutely need to get a B in this paper and I'm struggling with how you actually expand on the passage without, like you said, just reeling off stuff that Ayer/Donovan/Westphal simply said elsewhere in the article. AND THE EXAM IS SO SOON. Ah.

As far as i can tell you do bring in the rest of the extract but use quotes from the selected paragraph to show how they're relevant. So if Donovan says 'Kant and his followers' you quote this then say 'Donovan is referring too earlier in his text...' and that way its not off topic??

Original post by Sara_A
Can someone please explain the 'mediated immediacy' paragraph...its the 8th paragraph in the Donovan text

Can't find the exact one, my copy is weirdly laid out, is it where he talks of checking intuition with intuition?

I reckon Westphal will come up but its kinda 33/33/33 which is sucky
Reply 8
Can't find the exact one, my copy is weirdly laid out, is it where he talks of checking intuition with intuition?

I reckon Westphal will come up but its kinda 33/33/33 which is sucky

no its before that but this is the paragraph:

"In all these respects, our intuition of the reality of God, like our intuition of other selves, has a 'mediated immediacy'. It is not the product of reasoning or inference, but is none the less mediated by finite things and experiences: in the one case bodily movement, words, behaviour- in the other, general features of the natural world suggesting a divine creator and particularly religiously significant experiences."
I'm doing this Unit also, with the same philosophers. I have created a 10 page revision sheet that I am happy to share. If you want to DM your email addresses i'll get it send to you asap!!:smile:

Jake
(edited 9 years ago)
Please now find the sheet attached
Original post by Jake Jones
I'm doing this Unit also, with the same philosophers. I have created a 10 page revision sheet that I am happy to share. If you want to DM your email addresses i'll get it send to you asap!!:smile:

Jake

Thanks for sharing, I'll have a look at that later!

Original post by Sara_A

no its before that but this is the paragraph:

"In all these respects, our intuition of the reality of God, like our intuition of other selves, has a 'mediated immediacy'. It is not the product of reasoning or inference, but is none the less mediated by finite things and experiences: in the one case bodily movement, words, behaviour- in the other, general features of the natural world suggesting a divine creator and particularly religiously significant experiences."

I think that's the bit where all he is saying is that God is mediated through the experience itself. So for people intuition is mediated through their body language and for religion we intuit God through the medium of design and for the RE we intuit God through the medium of significant experience
Reply 12
I recommend reading examiner reports - sometimes they publish whole essays that they consider to be good examples. This will give you a feel for what examiners are looking for. Also read level 4 of the generic mark scheme for this paper, because you will realise that they want you to show them the links you can make from your AS and A2 studies to the passage given.

This is the plan we use. It is based on the ZigZag Educational booklet written by Bunney for the philosophy documents (highly recommend can be bought from internet if you have never seen this)

Part i:
Para 1: Introduction - brief overview of whole document
Para 2: Clarify argument being made in passage, i.e. explain in own words what passage is saying
Para 3: Set passage in philosophical context
Then select 3-4 key phrases/ideas in passage you have been given and analyse one by one (a paragraph each). Explaining keywords as you go along and exploring scholars and principles you have studied which would agree with point raised in the passage and those who would disagree with the point raised (you can link ideas from the Ayer & Donovan document too)

Part ii:
Paragraph 1: ‘If Westphal is right then the implications for religion are …' From Edexcel work book they suggest you explore:
IMPLICATIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL BELIEF:
IMPLICATIONS ON RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY
HOW BELIEVERS WOULD RESPOND TO THE IDEA
IMPACT ON SACRED TEXTS
IMPACT ON RELIGIOUS LEADERS
Paragraph 2: If Westphal is right then the implications for religion are …’ From Edexcel workbook they suggest you explore:
IMPLICATIONS FOR HUMAN EXPERIENCE
IMPACT ON BELIEFS IN LIFE AFTER DEATH
IMPACT ON ETHICAL AND MORAL BELIEFS
IMPACT ON SOCIETY/WIDER COMMUNITY
IMPACT ON HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS
WHAT PEOPLE FIND IMPORTANT IN LIFE
Paragraph 3: Your opinion on the view expressed in passage selected and come to a conclusion on that passage

As to what document will come up your guess is as good as mine (UNKNOWN), but Westphal has not appeared for 3 years.

I recommend the Wellington College website because it has great materials for this paper and some sample essays that might help you to get an idea of how to write an extremely high level essay:

http://intranet.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/philosophy-and-religion/a2-religious-studies/a2-implications-paper
Original post by PEC
I recommend reading examiner reports - sometimes they publish whole essays that they consider to be good examples. This will give you a feel for what examiners are looking for. Also read level 4 of the generic mark scheme for this paper, because you will realise that they want you to show them the links you can make from your AS and A2 studies to the passage given.

This is the plan we use. It is based on the ZigZag Educational booklet written by Bunney for the philosophy documents (highly recommend can be bought from internet if you have never seen this)

Part i:
Para 1: Introduction - brief overview of whole document
Para 2: Clarify argument being made in passage, i.e. explain in own words what passage is saying
Para 3: Set passage in philosophical context
Then select 3-4 key phrases/ideas in passage you have been given and analyse one by one (a paragraph each). Explaining keywords as you go along and exploring scholars and principles you have studied which would agree with point raised in the passage and those who would disagree with the point raised (you can link ideas from the Ayer & Donovan document too)

Part ii:
Paragraph 1: ‘If Westphal is right then the implications for religion are …' From Edexcel work book they suggest you explore:
IMPLICATIONS FOR INDIVIDUAL BELIEF:
IMPLICATIONS ON RELIGIOUS COMMUNITY
HOW BELIEVERS WOULD RESPOND TO THE IDEA
IMPACT ON SACRED TEXTS
IMPACT ON RELIGIOUS LEADERS
Paragraph 2: If Westphal is right then the implications for religion are …’ From Edexcel workbook they suggest you explore:
IMPLICATIONS FOR HUMAN EXPERIENCE
IMPACT ON BELIEFS IN LIFE AFTER DEATH
IMPACT ON ETHICAL AND MORAL BELIEFS
IMPACT ON SOCIETY/WIDER COMMUNITY
IMPACT ON HUMAN RELATIONSHIPS
WHAT PEOPLE FIND IMPORTANT IN LIFE
Paragraph 3: Your opinion on the view expressed in passage selected and come to a conclusion on that passage

As to what document will come up your guess is as good as mine (UNKNOWN), but Westphal has not appeared for 3 years.

I recommend the Wellington College website because it has great materials for this paper and some sample essays that might help you to get an idea of how to write an extremely high level essay:

http://intranet.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/philosophy-and-religion/a2-religious-studies/a2-implications-paper

I agree about the examiners reports and I have been over the mark scheme so feeling a but clearer! I love Wellington College and use all their resources but I suspect my teachers have used them too; instead of making their own for this paper so I still feel a bit unsupported!

Thanks so much for that plan I'll definitely work from that :smile: Really useful!!
Original post by Sara_A
any prediction of what might come up?

My teacher said it is most likely to be Westphal because it hasn't came up in years but he said it may be Donovan too because it came up in 2012 and the time before that 2010 so it may do a two year gap again...but probably not. I hope it's Westphal because I think Donovan is so boring.
im praying westphal comes up, im not too sure on the donovan text. does anyone think ayer will come up twice in a row?
On a side note can anybody tell me what you need to get an A grade overall??
Reply 17
Original post by Jake Jones

Jake

thank you
i'm self studying myself for this paper and i haven't even started learning it as a lot of exams were in my way but i plan on starting today which gives myself a week,is it doable ?
Reply 19
Yes absolutely. You will have done a lot of revision for 6RS03 (developments) and that will stand you in good stead. This exam is all about interpreting the passage and showcasing to the examiners what you have learnt and understood over the last two years. There is no right or wrong answer. Go to mark scheme first and check out what they are looking for for a level 4 answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending