The Student Room Group

Why do people wear glasses?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ChocInABox
I feel I look better with glasses

plus I don't like the idea of sticking something into my eye

Glasses can look extremely trendy...look at the guys/girls on the Specsavers adverts :perv:

Surely you're not that bad looking. :wink:
I only need to put my glasses on some of the time, for long distance, so I don't see the point of wearing contacts all day when I don't need to. It's just extra money that's not worth spending.
I wear my gasses because I cannot currently afford to continuously buy contact lenses :frown: and also they give me something to hide behind, I feel like people aren't really looking at my face.
I've worn both. I wear glasses because I can't be bothered putting contacts in and taking them out each day. When I wore contacts I frequently just went blind for the day because I couldn't be bothered with them that day. Glasses are far more convenient.
It is cheaper for me to have glasses (plus Specsavers do a deal where you only pay £10 for designer glasses if you're in full time education). That and I don't fancy poking my eye every day when I can just put my glasses on.
Contact lenses and laser eye surgery both won't fix my eyesight sufficiently, so I have to wear glasses
Reply 26
Why haven't you opted for contact lenses yourself OP? I mainly wear contacts and have done since I was in my teens, but I do sometimes wear glasses. I think the main reason is preference, some people might prefer how they look in them or simply not like the idea of having a foreign body in their eye. Other reasons could be cost or that they find contacts uncomfortable.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
They're more expensive than glasses
They're more fiddly than glasses
It requires you to stick your finger in your eye
They can be uncomfortable for some people

This. I'd love to be able to wear contacts but I just wasn't comfortable with them. I don't think I suit glasses at all, will probably get laser eye surgery in a few years.
They're easier, don't cause irritation/can't get bits of them stuck in your eye, and much cheaper.

That said, I've never worn glasses or plan to, I would always opt for contacts. Again, that said, I only wear them when I know I will have to look at small writing from a distance - don't usually bother with them otherwise.
I'm short sighted too, I think it's just too much hassle to clean them and putting them in, there's also risk of infection
i wear them because they make me look sophisticated and intelligent
Original post by Armin.
Surely you're not that bad looking. :wink:

:rofl:

I don't know what it is but I think some people just look better with glasses and I'm one of them haa. I feel they make me look more intellectual and almost sophisticated :rolleyes: haa it's a bit like that time when a lot of indie girls were buying those big black nerd fake glasses even though they didn't need them :rofl:
Reply 33
Original post by the bear
i wear them because they make me look sophisticated and intelligent

As long as you don't open your mouth. :lol:
I can't wear my contacts for more than 6-7 hours at a time.

Are you suggesting I should be happy to not be able to see the rest of the time?
Original post by Armin.
As long as you don't open your mouth. :lol:

how witty
contacts are expensive
Reply 37
I wear both glasses and contact lenses (I wear contacts to college generally and glasses on weekends and evenings). Contact lenses can be a pain to get in (both metaphorically and literally), and to take out again, but you get better at it. I think I look better without glasses, and with contact lenses you get all of your sight corrected, rather than that just within your glasses frames. I know you may think that you get used to the frames after a while, but I do notice a significant difference when wearing contact lenses.
- It's quicker and easier to put on a pair of glasses than a pair of contact lenses.
- Contacts can only be worn for a few hours a day, glasses can be worn pretty much all the time.
- It's easier to lose a contact lens than a pair of glasses
- Contact lenses and the process of putting them in are more likely to cause irritation to the eyes than glasses
- Vision is usually better with glasses, as contacts can move around or rotate in the eyes so they're no longer positioned correctly
- Purchasing new contact lenses regularly is usually more expensive than owning a simple pair of glasses
- Some people like to wear designer labels on their glasses for fashion purposes, which isn't possible with contact lenses
- Some people have more complicated vision problems, e.g. they need bifocal glasses, or they use their glasses for short distance reading but not for long distance viewing (or vice-versa). Contact lenses aren't particularly helpful for them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 39
No point when you're long sighted and only need them to read

Quick Reply

Latest