The Student Room Group

Should you cover up a cold sore?

I’m 21, never had one in my life, but yesterday I woke up and I have one and my lip is completely swollen. It’s really embarrassing but I have lectures and other stuff to do. Is it ok to walk around with it just out there or is this sometime if that needs to be covered up. I don’t want it getting worse but I feel kind of ashamed to have it? Can anyone help me I don’t know how to feel, and don’t want people to think I’m disgusting. :frown:
are you certain it is a cold sore?

They are caused by a virus and I don't think you would just get one out of the blue (no expert on that). Stress is a common cause of them resurfacing

Alas the best thing to do it let the air at it and give it time to heal - be really careful of any "ooze" that comes out because that can be infectious.

If its any help, it probably feels way worse to you than the folks seeing it
Reply 2
Original post by ChiefBrody
are you certain it is a cold sore?

They are caused by a virus and I don't think you would just get one out of the blue (no expert on that). Stress is a common cause of them resurfacing

Alas the best thing to do it let the air at it and give it time to heal - be really careful of any "ooze" that comes out because that can be infectious.

If its any help, it probably feels way worse to you than the folks seeing it

It probably is because I went to the pharmacy and he gave me antiviral cream for it. And lately I haven’t been sleeping well so maybe that caused it?

idk where I got it from, my mum does get them but I haven’t had anything like this myself before. Maybe sharing glasses?

and yes that’s true, but at the end of the day it is herpes so I feel kinda :/. Considering just wearing a mask till it goes away but even that feels odd now when covid is kinda gone.

Quick Reply

Latest