The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NananaBanana

The fact that people are actually arguing against extra time etc when they don't have to deal with the reasons people get extra time is kind of disgusting. People who don't get extra time have privilege that people who do get extra time do not, and have no right to say people without that privilege shouldn't get extra measures to help put them on equal footing with the majority of people. They can't help having the problems that cause them to need extra measures.

It is shameful, I've had to defend myself multiple times this year, some people just can't fathom that someone with a learning problem can achieve too! In my book, it's jealousy.
Original post by AdamWats0n
Agree with you on autism and physical illness. Anxiety over exams just has to be dealt with in my opinion, everyone gets stressed but most people manage.

The whole point of anxiety is that it isn't just stress. Most people manage because they don't have anxiety, the mental health condition. Anxiety is much more than just stress, and causes problems that people without anxiety don't have to deal with during exams. If you don't have anxiety, you have no idea the kind of problems it causes. It isn't even comparable to the stress most people deal with, and is often unmanageable, which is the whole reason people get extra help for it.
The whole point of anxiety is that it isn't just stress. Most people manage because they don't have anxiety, the mental health condition. Anxiety is much more than just stress, and causes problems that people without anxiety don't have to deal with during exams. If you don't have anxiety, you have no idea the kind of problems it causes. It isn't even comparable to the stress most people deal with, and is often unmanageable, which is the whole reason people get extra help for it.

Yup. I also have generalized anxiety disorder, and having extra support for exams does help with some of my anxiety issues.
It is fair, if the person has learning difficulties.
Original post by Kelytha
It is shameful, I've had to defend myself multiple times this year, some people just can't fathom that someone with a learning problem can achieve too! In my book, it's jealousy.

Yeah, it is shameful! You shouldn't have to defend yourself to anyone!! This whole thread is so awful; the fact that people feel like they have the right to argue against people getting extra help when the people arguing have /no need/ for that extra help is awful!!
(for the record, I'd like to make it clear that I don't get extra help in exams, so I hope nobody is taking anything I have said on this thread as having come from someone who experiences the things that cause needing extra measures during exams; I am not speaking for anybody who does need those extra measures)
You speak as if real life and school are completely different things :wink:
No, (what you call) real life often isn't fair. I'm not quite sure how that has anything to with exams to be honest, why should the unfairness of 'real life' mean people should have to deal with unfairness in school? So unis and employers may choose advantaged people over disadvantaged, but why in the world should that effect how school exams work? And anyway, like someone before me said, a lot of the time exceptions are made for people with disadvantages. 'Exams are supposed to reflect people's ability in a subject, not put people on an even playing field' that's quite contradictory. How are exams supposed to accurately reflect our ability on a subject if people aren't given an even playing field? You can be incredible at a subject but have disadvantages related to exams and not to the actual subject that means in the exam you'll do worse, and so the exam won't reflect your ability in the subject.

The fact that people are actually arguing against extra time etc when they don't have to deal with the reasons people get extra time is kind of disgusting. People who don't get extra time have privilege that people who do get extra time do not, and have no right to say people without that privilege shouldn't get extra measures to help put them on equal footing with the majority of people. They can't help having the problems that cause them to need extra measures.

I though school was meant to prepare ourselves for 'real life' (as in what we learn will help us). Exams are needed because they test how well we have learnt, everyone gets an even playing field in the sense the exams are the same and identically marked. People that are disadvantaged wont have learn as well in school and the exam will reflect this. Extra time could result in a disadvantages candidate appearing to be better than an advantaged candidate.

Overall, I still think extra time should exist, but the rules need to be enforced a lot more. The school that I go to doesn't have many people to get extra time, but reading previous posts about years with 25% of people getting extra time can't be an accurate reflection of their need to have it.
Original post by Kelytha
Yup. I also have generalized anxiety disorder, and having extra support for exams does help with some of my anxiety issues.

I have social anxiety disorder, and I'd really like people without it to find out what it feels like, and then try to tell me 'it's just stress that everyone else can deal with so I should be able to do so too'
Yeah, it is shameful! You shouldn't have to defend yourself to anyone!! This whole thread is so awful; the fact that people feel like they have the right to argue against people getting extra help when the people arguing have /no need/ for that extra help is awful!!

I agree with you 100%

My opinion is: If you don't need extra time, then how does my need for extra time and other measures impact your life in any way shape or form?

I have social anxiety disorder, and I'd really like people without it to find out what it feels like, and then try to tell me 'it's just stress that everyone else can deal with so I should be able to do so too'

Just stress my arse. It's a struggle, more awareness is needed, some people can be very.. harsh when I try and explain it to them.

Some people are just plain ignorant!

I do get a little anxious meeting new people, but it's not so serious for me. Most of my anxiety comes from me pushing myself to succeed at college..
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 68
Agree with you on autism and physical illness. Anxiety over exams just has to be dealt with in my opinion, everyone gets stressed but most people manage.

As mentioned below, I don't think you really understand what anxiety means - and to be fair to you, I didn't really until recently. I am quite a confident individual, and I don't suffer much from exam stress, and i was of a similar opinion to you, before one of my friends was diagnosed with social anxiety. As a result of this anxiety, she can't go out anymore, not even out to dinner with her family, and it has impacted on her school life severely as well. Rooms filled with lots of people (i.e in exams) stress her out, and consequently she's put in a room on her own (a perfectly good solution if you ask me) and because she's missed valuable lesson time - she gets extra time in which to complete the exam.

Now I don't really understand why you are so close-minded about it, at the end of the day - it has no impact on your grades whatsoever. It is no secret to employers and universities if/when a person has extra time - they know! yet how many people have you heard of, that have been rejected from university, due to the fact the require extra time to complete a piece of work? none.
Original post by Kelytha
I agree with you 100%

My opinion is: If you don't need extra time, then how does my need for extra time and other measures impact your life in any way shape or form?

However selfish this sounds, extra time (in some cases) can means that people's grades are higher than their true ability. This means people that don't get extra time are at a disadvantage when it comes to 6 form, uni and jobs.

I'm leaving this thread now as I think I've made my views clear and don't want the 'disagreement' to escalate. Good luck to everyone with whatever exams you have left!
I think that there are times when people are granted extra support or extra time in an exam when they really don't need it. However, if somebody clearly needs extra time then I have no qualms with that. I do think the laptop thing can be a bit unfair, however. I have atrocious writing that people struggle to read, meaning that I have to rush through exams just so I will have time at the end to go back and make sure all of my writing is legible- this involves a lot of scribbling out. I've never been offered a computer, so when I see people on here getting a laptop because the have bad handwriting, it does strike me as being just a tad unfair.
However selfish this sounds, extra time (in some cases) can means that people's grades are higher than their true ability. This means people that don't get extra time are at a disadvantage when it comes to 6 form, uni and jobs.

I'm leaving this thread now as I think I've made my views clear and don't want the 'disagreement' to escalate. Good luck to everyone with whatever exams you have left!

That's absolutely untrue, having an extra 25% to do an exam in does not mean that i'll magically get a distinction or an A*.

If someone doesn't have the ability to get a distinction, then no amount of extra time or exam considerations will get them a distinction.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheNervousWreck
Being stupid puts you at a disadvantage but you don't get the answers.....no extra time in real life!

Having a disability isn't being stupid. In the work place, there are often provisions for disabled people so they can do their work to the standard necessary.
Reply 73
I can understand why they give people free time, readers and scribes but sometimes it's really not needed. I have a friend who is mildly dyslexic - I mean you wouldn't notice it unless she told you - but she gets free time. It should only be given if it's necessary after all it is an exam.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Having a disability isn't being stupid. In the work place, there are often provisions for disabled people so they can do their work to the standard necessary.

When did I ever say that people with disabilities are stupid?

Also if you like do a job and you take too long to do something then they will not say ohhhhh thats fine you can have 25% extra time to do that.
Original post by A*Will
I have recently noticed there is a huge number of people in my school, whom have the ability to sit their exam in a completely different hall and gain extra time, scribes and readers. Also some people are able to do their exam on the computer instead! Should all exams not be done in the same conditions to make it a 'fair test?'

No. Because it wouldn't be fair for someone with some form on learning disability who either can't spell, can't read properly, or has completely illegible handwriting, to sit the exam in the same conditions. They'd be at a disadvantage.

Also surely with some exams ie. English language - testing your READING SKILLS should mean you should not be able to have a reader!

They don't test your ability to read words. They test your reading comprehension.

A friend of mine made a comment saying 'surely if you need a scribe (not having recently damaged your arm) or reader in an English exam then you have already failed' - I partially agree. What are your comments?

Your friend is stupid.
Original post by A*Will
Totally understand what you mean. But I know for a fact in some circumstances in my school, people using computers are able to use word with internet connected and can use a thesaurus etc. Maybe it is just the exam board that need to realise they are being mugs!

That doesn't sound like the sort of thing that would be allowed by any exam board under any conditions. I'm fairly confident that either someone's lied to you or your school has fallen foul of the rules.
Original post by Kelytha

Yes, Obviously it is jealousy you extra time to do the bloody exams, of course I am going to be jealous. You have completely disproved your point by saying that you think it's jealousy as if it was so bad having the disability you have why would anyone be jealous!
Original post by TheNervousWreck
When did I ever say that people with disabilities are stupid?

Also if you like do a job and you take too long to do something then they will not say ohhhhh thats fine you can have 25% extra time to do that.

I saw no reason for you to include that being stupid puts you at a disadvantage.

Provisions are put in place. Other wise those with disabilities just won't get jobs because an employer would just take the able bodied person over them even if the disabled person is a better candidate. It'd be discrimination otherwise.

Plus, I still don't see how this works towards your argument of people not having extra time when they need it in an exam.
Original post by JordanL_
No. Because it wouldn't be fair for someone with some form on learning disability who either can't spell, can't read properly, or has completely illegible handwriting, to sit the exam in the same conditions. They'd be at a disadvantage.

They don't test your ability to read words. They test your reading comprehension.

Your friend is stupid.

To be fair, if it is an English exam and you cannot spell then you should really be at a disadvantage!

Latest