The Student Room Group

Hospitalised for 2 months, final exams in a month.

In early March I was diagnosed with Guillain-barré syndrome. I stayed in hospital until the end of April. As a result, I’m relearning how to walk, write, and most other things with my hands and feet.

I intend to go to uni in September, but I haven’t attended college since February, and my current physical state prevents me from doing so. I’ve missed a few weeks worth of content in Maths, Chem and Bio, but I can’t write or type on a computer which makes catching up a bit more difficult. The grades I need are BCC, which is a bit more comforting.

My college is aware of the full situation and, as I’ve said I still want to sit my exams, they are putting exam arrangements in place - namely a scribe, extra time and breaks.

I’m operating under the assumption that I’ll still need to meet my target grades, so I’m trying to use youtube videos to revise and go over missed content, but compared to everyone else at my stage, I’m doing the very least and it does stress me out. My fingers are weak and numb but any revision suggestions would be appreciated.

My primary concern is not being able to meet my grades due to lost time, is there any way to appeal to the unis about this? Will they still need me to sit the exams? Will they take reduced grades or no grades at all? What’s my best course of action?
Reply 1
I wish you all the best for the future. It is an annoying situation and I hope all goes well with your health, that is the most important thing. I haven't had that exact problem, when I was in the hospital for brain inflammation (encephalitis) it was in or just before GCSEs under covid so was a bit different as it was holistic grades and I came back with enough time to do all the exams we did.

this might not be useful, so please disregard if so, but I would say Focus on the areas you are weakest at and try a few different types of questions you could get verbally either with text to speech or get a friend or family member to test you as you will be doing it verbally anyway in the exam.

I can't say for certain, but I think they will likely be more lenient in extenuating circumstances, contact the uni if you don't get the in or look on the website or contact student support to see what the unis course of action would be. if not there is always clearing where you can explain your situation. You should be fine as long as you pass, CCC or CCD is about the minimum that would get you somewhere more easily (tho it may not be the place you want or initially wanted), considering people without your situation get that anyway. I assume by then you will be okay to go to university at this point, otherwise online/open university. Luckily the grades you need are not too high, so at least you don't want somewhere with very strict, high standards.

This may not be an option, but if you really feel like it won't work postpone the exam and entering uni till the next Exam/uni entry cycle and take them when it's easier. My mum teaches people at Birkbeck who went a lot later in life and they do great, there is no rush just because your peers are, but I get wanting to get there and have the buzz of university.

sorry if this is a bad reply, I am no expert, so don't take my words as law, best to look at each uni.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest