The Student Room Group

civil service with not so great A levels

Hi everyone, its been 3 years since my A levels. At school I was immature and didn't work to my abilities and ended up with a C and 2 E's. It was around this time I was arrested and received a caution. After working full time for a few years and maturing, I've decided to get back into education. Im going to be a doing a foundation year at Goldsmiths and after completing that I will go on to do a degree in history and politics. I'm thinking of applying for the civil service fast stream once I've completed my degree. Will my poor a level results and caution ruin my chances? Or will they be impressed that ive managed to turn things around for myself?
Cheers!
Original post by Fletch92
Hi everyone, its been 3 years since my A levels. At school I was immature and didn't work to my abilities and ended up with a C and 2 E's. It was around this time I was arrested and received a caution. After working full time for a few years and maturing, I've decided to get back into education. Im going to be a doing a foundation year at Goldsmiths and after completing that I will go on to do a degree in history and politics. I'm thinking of applying for the civil service fast stream once I've completed my degree. Will my poor a level results and caution ruin my chances? Or will they be impressed that ive managed to turn things around for myself?
Cheers!

I don't think they would be 'impressed' per say. You could possibly talk about your motivations to go back into education.

As far as i'm aware the fast stream doesn't have any specific A-level requirements. If you have a good degree behind you and excel in other areas it shouldn't be too much of a hurdle. You may have to explain your poor grades at an interview or something.

Other than that you should be fine.
Reply 2
Okay cheers! Thanks for the reply!
Okay cheers! Thanks for the reply!

The a levels don't matter at all for fast stream.
They won't ask for your A-Levels. A criminal record, however, could preclude you. What is the caution for?
Reply 5
I received a caution for a small amount of drugs. It was my first and last offence. I believe I don't have a criminal record. It will only show on a crb check.
I received a caution for a small amount of drugs. It was my first and last offence. I believe I don't have a criminal record. It will only show on a crb check.

A caution gives you a criminal record. A caution for drugs may not be an issue, but it very well could be. It will certainly preclude you from certain departments and could stop you from obtaining the level of security clearance needed for certain jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending