The Student Room Group

Newcastle United Society Thread III

Scroll to see replies

Reply 121
Original post by scriggy
Pardew's all out of excuses now. Two years ago it was the Europa League, last year he wasn't allowed to sign anyone, but this year he's been well backed with cash. He needs to get results now or he'll be finally out of the door. 18 points from 22 games this year, that's not even relegation form that's bottom-of-the-table form.

To be fair to Ashley, I think he's put together a decent scouting and coaching set-up which has brought together a very strong squad on paper all within a tight budget. Outside of the top 7 I wouldn't swap our squad for any other. Trouble is at the heart of it all is a man seemingly not fit for purpose. I've backed him for a long time but it's such a no-brainer now. Get rid!

Last week against Palace it was us fans that he blamed. I'm so glad others are starting to see him for what he really is now though, But there are alot of people still backing him.

Amazingly enough alot of them are backing him and commending him for spending money on decent (Unproven players) this summer, Wish someone would explain to them that we have not spent any money that hasn't came from player sales. Cabaye & Debuchy total £37m. We havn't spent that on players.

Plus we had a weak squad last season. We've signed 7 players & sold 8 (Not including the two forest players) A few of the players may be better on paper but we are no further forward than last season. Plus another window has passed without us signing a top proven striker.

We will finish in the bottom 7 of the table this season.
Reply 122
Just seen that Hugo Almeida is still on a free transfer.

Why doesn't Pardew just sign him up for the rest of the season. He's scored double figures in the past 7 years. :facepalm2:

Could also go for Ronaldinho :teeth:
Original post by Vintage
Last week against Palace it was us fans that he blamed. I'm so glad others are starting to see him for what he really is now though, But there are alot of people still backing him.

Amazingly enough alot of them are backing him and commending him for spending money on decent (Unproven players) this summer, Wish someone would explain to them that we have not spent any money that hasn't came from player sales. Cabaye & Debuchy total £37m. We havn't spent that on players.

Plus we had a weak squad last season. We've signed 7 players & sold 8 (Not including the two forest players) A few of the players may be better on paper but we are no further forward than last season. Plus another window has passed without us signing a top proven striker.

We will finish in the bottom 7 of the table this season.

I'm almost certainly in a minority but I don't have a huge problem with us breaking even on player transfers so long as the squad is improved, which I believe it has been this summer. The strikers and attacking midfielders we've assembled should be more than capable of getting the goals for an attempt on the Top 7 IMO, if managed correctly and played in a decent system, so I don't think we were desperate for another striker personally.

Odds on Pardew being the first manager to go have been slashed the last 24 hours btw. From 9/1 to 4/1 so here's hoping. :yy:
The sooner Pardew goes the better
Original post by Vintage
x

We have spent a net of about £1M
Reply 126
Original post by KingGoonIan
We have spent a net of about £1M

You also must be forgetting the sales of:

James Tavernier around £250k
Romain Amalfitano around £250k

so £500k. Net spend, For a premiership team over 3 transfer windows. :facepalm2:

On a brighter note, Alan Pardews odds on being the next manager sacked have shot down to be fave for the chop. Apparently he has 2 games to save himself. Is it wrong to hope we lose both of them?
Reply 127
Original post by scriggy
I'm almost certainly in a minority but I don't have a huge problem with us breaking even on player transfers so long as the squad is improved, which I believe it has been this summer. The strikers and attacking midfielders we've assembled should be more than capable of getting the goals for an attempt on the Top 7 IMO, if managed correctly and played in a decent system, so I don't think we were desperate for another striker personally.

Odds on Pardew being the first manager to go have been slashed the last 24 hours btw. From 9/1 to 4/1 so here's hoping. :yy:

We are desperate for another striker though. How can you say we are not? Cisse 3 goals in 24 games last season! Perez & Ferreya unproven and Riviere hasn't exactly even looked like scoring yet.

Then we needed another Centre back all summer, Didn't get one then LOANED out another one in Mbiwa. Leaving us with only 3 senior centre backs.

We've signed some players yeah but I've yet to see any improvement at all. Doesn't help playing under a clueless inept **** like Pardew though.
Reply 128
**** me this thread's on life-support.

Absolutely horrendous yesterday. How bad does it have to get before he's gone? 5 points from 12 games is about as bad as it gets.
The phrase "Pardewed" is my new favourite in football.
Looks like Pardew is being given the Hull game, it's make or break, I want a win but will Pardew go if we win, probably not!
Glad I didnt make the trip to Southampton. I got tickets for Crystal Palace in the cup for £15 each which is quite tidy. Hopefully Pardew will have gone by then and we will actually stand a chance
Mark my words, Pardew will still be here at Christmas unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KingGoonIan

haha, where's that?
The policy of sell your best players, replace with prospects has finally come back to bite us - as Cabella and Riviere have failed to deliver. De Jong injury doesn't help either.
Pardew simply has to go. Newcastle are only going in one direction under him and that's the Championship.
shambles.

Watched this game live and was fuming.
They were completely devoid of ideas last night. Lacklustre. You've got to question a lot of the players, too. The majority couldn't have looked less interested if they tried. The back four could have prevented the cross coming in for Crouch's goal, and Colocinni is simply outmuscled and outjumped. At the other end, I thought Colback was industrious but should have buried that sitter, and apart from that, Newcastle offered nothing.

The tactics of Pardew not to go two up top was particularly interesting. It wasn't brave at all - and some of the substitutions he made were baffling. I wouldn't expect him to be in the dugout come the weekend. Something's simply got to give.

Quick Reply

Latest